News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re:Warming up in East Lothian?
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2007, 02:37:52 PM »
Wayne K. -

Green fees in GB&I have really risen in the past 5+ years and the weak U.S.$ has made things even worse.

In the Scottish Highlands, Nairn is charging 75 pounds this season and Royal Dornoch is charging 78 pounds weekdays and 88 pounds weekends. Cruden Bay is 60 pounds weekdays and 70 pounds weekends. The lesser courses (Brora, Golspie, Tain, etc.) are in the 25-40 pound range.  

DT
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 02:39:41 PM by David_Tepper »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2007, 02:45:04 PM »
Royal Dornoch is charging 78 pounds weekdays and 88 pounds weekends.
This is a lot more expensive recently but at $151(£78) you could argue that Royal Dornoch is good value compared to the CCFADs that there are in the US/Canada.  How many mediocre courses in the US are more expensive?

By the way - what would annual dues be for a local member at Dornoch?  It seems to me that a tourist coming to play 4-5 rounds would probably pay almost as much as a local person would pay for the entire season.

David_Tepper

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2007, 02:59:37 PM »
Wayne K. -

I don't disagree at all that the green fees I quoted are still a decent value relative to many resort/CCFAD courses in North America. On the other hand, when you factor in the cost of travel, a place like Bandon looks very competitive (cost-wise) vs. a trip to GB&I, especially for someone living in the western U.S. A number of guys I know here in the San Fran Bay Area are now much more inclined to visit Bandon once or twice a year than travel to GB&I every year or two, like they used to do.

I also agree that joining a club in GB&I can still be a real bargain (in the 150-300 pounds per year range). The problem is that most of the better known clubs now have waiting lists for overseas memberships, while lesser know clubs (like Tain, Brora & Goslpie) are looking for overseas members.

DT    

Doug Wright

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2007, 04:05:18 PM »
Matt,

You might also look at Dunbar--a short drive from Gullane and a decent links course right on the water.

PS I have a friend from Beijing who joined us on my last Scotland trip in 2005. IM me--maybe you and he are at the same club there...  
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2007, 04:24:18 PM »
David T, I have to say I disagree with you completely about Bandon. When I calculate the cost of traveling there from England it seems to me that GB & I is a much better bargin. But then again maybe I shouldn't go with the presumption that value for money should include the travel costs from where I happen to be living!!!! ;)

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2007, 04:42:21 PM »
David T, I have to say I disagree with you completely about Bandon. When I calculate the cost of traveling there from England it seems to me that GB & I is a much better bargin. But then again maybe I shouldn't go with the presumption that value for money should include the travel costs from where I happen to be living!!!! ;)
This is true from Toronto as well as it would take 3 flights to get close to Bandon, two if you are satisfied with flying to Eugene and driving the rest of the way (which is about a 2.5 hour drive I believe).  It is much easier to get to Scotland or Ireland!

David_Tepper

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2007, 05:14:35 PM »
Jon W. & Wayne K. -

Please note I said Bandon was especially comptetitive price-wise for someone living in the western U.S.

From the east coast of the U.S. or Canada, the GB&I vs. Bandon debate is probably a bit of a push. The option of a golf trip to Pinehurst and/or elsewhere in the Carolinas is probably more competitive.

Obviously, for someone who lives in GB&I, traveling around there to play golf is still a good deal, even as green fees in the top 30-40 courses now range from 75-150 (or more) pounds. Air fares within GB&I (and to elsewhere in Europe) can be VERY attractive.  

DT

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2007, 05:28:10 PM »
David T,

I was just having a little poke there as I found the idea of using travel expenses to judge value for money GF wise a little far fetched in an international comparison. I agree with you from the western U.S. Bandon is probably the better deal with travel factored in. However, I think you will find that some of the people participating in this thread come from somewhat east and west of there.

I hope to visit Bandon at some point in the next few years so I will be able to make up my own opinion.

JW

Michael Christensen

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2007, 05:51:52 PM »
if anyone needs to warm up sans course...I am heading either to East Lothian Golf Range or the Jane Connachon Golf Centre in West Fenton (possible South North Berwick).....taking a little time to figure out where everything is! in sleet and snow this should be fun!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2007, 06:09:54 PM »
Light snow in Fife as I type, but not lying at all!!!

The naked prostrate genuflection on Young Tom's grave on saturday night seems to be working for us. Y'all can thank me later.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Christensen

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2007, 06:17:02 PM »
as I said in my private IM to you.....not to jinx, but looking good next Wed/Thurs/Fri....high 40s, low 50s with sun! 8)

now I have to pack sun lotion?

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2007, 01:21:08 PM »
What are the fees at Royal Musselburgh?  I can't find them on the website.

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2007, 03:15:44 PM »
If anyone wants a game with me at Dunbar on Sunday afternoon, let me know! (Sorry for checking in a bit late here.)

Cheers,
Darren

G Jones

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2007, 07:14:32 AM »
A bit late here... but just thought I'd mention that the course that is intertwined with the north edge of Gullane is Luffness New... was laid out by Tom Morris I think, and is a nice short but tough links course belonging to very much a proper golfers club. Perfect for a warmup... I've played against them in club matches and the course is perfect length for playing after a heavy lunch :-)

http://www.golfeastlothian.com/golf-courses.asp?course=LUFF

« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 07:17:00 AM by G Jones »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back