News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re:Worst Name For a Golf Outing
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 08:04:50 PM »
I wonder what they call the golfers who regularly play on a Saturday morning at predominantly Jewish clubs, such as Dunham Forest?  It's never deserted then!

I don't understand ??????????????

Cary, I think it's sort of the equivalent of courses being packed on Sunday mornings during church services.

But I dunno.  Maybe not!

michael j fay

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2007, 09:27:54 PM »
I am the two time Champion of the Cockroach Open put on by Berg Pest Control complete with two standard trophies with the dreaded beast where the golfer usually appears.

I played in the normal Friday afternoon game at the Nashua Country Club in New Hampshire which was known as the "Hatred".

One year at my home club we had the Irish vs. the Italians, we called it the Gaelic vs. the Garlic.

Tom Walsh

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
When I was a kid the restaurant I worked for had their annual tournament-- thr Zipper Open.
An all day affair which included not only the golf, but a poker tournament, and a craps game on the patio.  :D
"vado pro vexillum!"

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 11:33:56 PM »

My experience at my various clubs is that the tournament names should be fun to encourage participation.  Unfortunately, at some of the older more distinguished clubs the names of the tournaments cease being meaningful because nobody is old enough to remember for whom the trophy is named.  I have even competed for the "benfield" cup which was named for and donated by my great- grandfather and have spent the day explaining the connection.  Hard to just have fun.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 11:36:52 PM by HamiltonBHearst »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 12:06:53 AM »
I wonder what they call the golfers who regularly play on a Saturday morning at predominantly Jewish clubs, such as Dunham Forest?  It's never deserted then!

I don't understand ??????????????

Cary, I think it's sort of the equivalent of courses being packed on Sunday mornings during church services.

But I dunno.  Maybe not!

Quite a bit more, actually.  Saturday is the Shabbat -- the 7th day of the week, the day of rest.  Jews are not supposed to work at all.  That would include pastimes such as golf.  

Some people are more devout than others.  Could seem an ideal time for poachers to take a run at the course, though.  

Jason Topp

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 12:42:06 AM »
My father once organized the "Southern Hemisphere Invitational Tournament" or SH*t event.  He was real proud of his creativity.

Of course, I did have to explain that Tucson is not in the Southern Hemiphere.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 01:39:54 AM »
Tommy,

Given your profession, are you a totally impartial judge in this?
 ;)

Probably not. :)
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Scott Szabo

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 12:19:04 PM »
I'm a bit embarassed a bit to say this, but we have an annual outing in Nebraska over four days that is called the Corn Holer.  We play five courses over the four days, and the winner gets an ugly, maroon jacket ala the Green Jacket from the Masters.  It's corny but alot of fun!
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back