News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Pflum

Semi OT: Stonelick Hills Cincinnati 3/24
« on: March 20, 2007, 12:04:37 PM »
If anyone is intersted I have a tee time with two spots available at 11:30 on 3/24/07.  Drop me a note if you are interested.  

Stonelick has been open a couple of years now and has gotten some great reviews.  They had trouble with a bunch of their green dying the first year due to having too many trees.  Apparantly, that is now fixed and the course is supposed to be great.  
--
jvdp

Doug Ralston

Re:Semi OT: Stonelick Hills Cincinnati 3/24
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 04:59:04 PM »
John;

Wish I could come, but must work that day.

I think you will enjoy some of the unique hole designs there. It is worth knowing that this is a 'first and only' architect who also is the money behind the course and inventor/owner of Penn Station shops.

Tell me what you think of the small tree in the fairway on #2. How will the play on this hole change over time and growth?

I'll leave the surprises, but take them as an experiment by someone who clearly loves golf and you will likely enjoy the course. As you may suspect, I certainly did/do.

Doug

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 05:18:45 PM »

The more interesting design feature on the second hole is the sunken green!!  I loved this unique green and had little problem with the tree.  However that is recent and not 15 years from now.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 08:18:05 PM »
Exactly Chris. That tree will play an evolving part in the strength of the hole. And I had intended to mention the green. If you have to play a low runner [and I have] from the right under the branches, you better have exact speed to hold that green. Pretty hole IMHO.

You may note that all my posts contain a reference to #7 at Stonelick. For most of you it would likely be no great deal, but for a golfer of my skills [or lack thereof] it was a great moment to hear that *tick*.  ;D

Doug

Jesse Jones

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 03:45:44 AM »
Doug,

Where was that pin on #7 for your eagle?

I played there quite often when we lived in Cincy. The Pro, Todd Myers, was the assistant at Bulle Rock. Good guy. Jeff Osterfeld, the owner/designer did make a huge mistake with the trees in year one.
There were alot of troubled greens..#2-5 were in bad shape. #7 was hurting also.
#10 never had chance..Neither did #12. However, the course, from what I've been told, is in great shape now.

Highlight Holes--
#5  A world class Par 4.. 502y dogleg left. If your drive does not stay in the fairway, just take your double and move on.
#8 443y Par 4--A sneaky good hole with a blind tee-shot and a wickedly tough green.
#10 600+y dogleg left.. water right..OB left..Split fairway..Tiny green..just a whole lot of stuff coming at you all at once.
#17 232y Par 3-slightly uphill and into the prevailing wind..It's about as tough of a tee-shot as you'll find anywhere.

The course is a good value..And only 2700 bucks for a single annual membership..Damn..Not bad at all..

John Pflum

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 09:05:08 AM »
Doug,

I'll let you know about the tree.  Is similar to #4 Lakeside at Shaker Run?   FWIW -- I love the tree on that hole.  I think it makes the tee shot just as interesting as your approaches into the green.

Sunday is going to be a scouting trip for an outing I'm planning in July.  I'm 90% comitted to having it at Stonelick because of the good service I have received from the staff there.  I'll try and snap a bunch of pictures and post them.  
--
jvdp

Jesse Jones

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 12:53:25 PM »
John,

The tree at #2 at Stonelick is not like #4 Lakeside at Shaker.That tree isn't a factor unless you are going for the green in two.
I think the tree is more like #1 at Longeberger.

John Pflum

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 01:15:12 PM »
Well, I doubt that I'll have much opportunity to think about the tree, then.  ;-)  Unless of course I hit a crappy drive or chunk my second shot.  
--
jvdp

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 09:58:32 PM »
John. I'd love to join you; unfortunately, I'll be hitting it off #1 at Pine NEedles just about the time you'll be off at Stonelick. Alas, maybe next time!

I think mant of the early problems at Stonelick were due to rushing the opening. Also, on one hole, the middlin' par three over ta pond, is built in a depression that in the summer resemble a dutch oven and one can feel the change in temperature and humidity as one descends toward the green. However, tree removal has helped as have fans and I look forward to my first outing there whcih should be next month.

BTW, I assume you've heard that Elks Run has reopened under new ownership. I have heard no reports about the course this year. Have you?
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

John Pflum

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 09:30:32 AM »
Jim,

I heard the same things about Stonelick and the trouble they had with the greens.  Reports now are that they are all back 100%.  I'll make a report here next week.

No, I hadn't heard about Elks Run.  I got a bad taste in my mouth on that course from the begining.  1)  It was crazy expensive -- $90 the last time I checked and that was a couple of years ago.  2)  Bad additude.  It was summer time and my daughter was at a birthday party nearby.  After I dropped her off I thought I'd head up and hit some balls on the range (which is a good distance away from the course and clubhouse).  I happened to be wearing jeans (and a collared shirt) because I hadn't planned on going to the course and they wouldn't even let me out of the parking lot because I wasn't properly attired.  I can understand not being permitted to play but to not even use the range?  Maybe I'm overreacting but geez!  
--
jvdp

Doug Ralston

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 01:51:46 PM »
Elk Run has reduced rates under the new management. They will be $59 weekdays, $65 weekends. I understand the part of the deal with Greg Norman & Co was that they must maintain the highest greens fees for any public in the area. Apparently last year was NOT good. We shall see now if the reductions help. If not, look for the clothing snobbery to be sacrificed to economics. :D

Yes, Stonelick admitted to us that they had opened too soon and the probs [as you said, especially to #3] got out of hand. When we played last year, the greens were is really good shape. A very enjoyable course. And no denying a good piece of invention for a novice architect.

Doug

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back