News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMorgan

Who said this?
« on: March 22, 2007, 07:43:05 AM »
"[T]hough it [is]essential a golf course architect should have an intimate knowledge of the theory of the game of golf and make a close study of all the best courses, yet the ability to play the game [is]often harmful, as first class players only too frequently [are] subconsciously influenced by their own particular type of play and only too prone to disregard that of others.

"I remarked before, that although I know scores of excellent golf courses designed by amateur golfers, I [do] not know of a single outstanding one by a professional golfer."

Tom_Doak

Re:Who said this?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 07:58:12 AM »
I have seen that one before.

I even quoted it once to Tom Weiskopf when he was opining about how all golf architects were (or had been) great players ... he had just played one of his courses with me.  I'm certainly not a great player, and I didn't know whether I was being tweaked or not, but I asked him what about the guy who wrote James' quote?

The quote is also not fair.  Even leaving today's player/designers out of it, I think James Braid designed some courses which rise to the level of greatness.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 08:00:15 AM by Tom_Doak »

Ken Moum

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 08:05:59 AM »
IIRC, that last one is from the Dr., but Tom's right, it seems unfair to Braid and others.

A better stance would seem to be that ones ability as a player is in no way predictive of one's ability as a GCA.

A parallel would coaching. There have been lots of great coaches who weren't great players, but there have also been some who were.

K
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 08:06:27 AM by KMoum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 08:10:56 AM »
I don't know if Dr. MacKenzie had any specific grudge against Braid, or whether he was just out there competing for work by mouth-to-mouth combat, just like today.

I know he disagreed vehemently with J.H. Taylor about a lot of architectural subjects.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 08:36:29 AM »
Much as I have enjoyed reading MacK and his works, l don't think I would a have enjoyed his company, certainly not in large doses anyway. His opionion of his own importance, whilst clearly not a delusion was, it seems, somewhat exaggerated (note his travels with his beloved car). And his declarations make for amusing reading, but often need to be taken with a pinch of salt if we're looking for actual maxims to work with, as more than a few of them seem to be based upon personal vendettas.

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 09:37:49 AM »
How ironic since the the man he helped build Augusta National was probably the best golfer of his era.  Very much first class if not professional.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 10:33:11 AM »
Paul:

I doubt that Jones would have strongly objected to the quote, after all he wrote the foreword to the book in which it was written.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back