News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale_McCallon

Namesake courses
« on: March 19, 2007, 06:28:27 PM »
The thread about Engh's Harmony Club in Colorado sharing a name with the development  in Georgia made me wonder what other "name" courses have been taken.  Which ones are any good?

I know in Elizabethtown, KY there is a Pine Valley (which is for sale if interested) and I think outside of Lexington there is a Cherry Hills.

There has to be lots of them out there.

Tom_Doak

Re:Namesake courses
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 08:59:23 PM »
Dale:

There are tons of namesake courses ... St. Andrews most of all, Pine Valleys, Oak Hills, etc.  Most of them were named in an era when naming a new course was not a big marketing decision.  Nobody was going to mistake St. Andrews in Yonkers, NY for the real thing, and the others were pretty generic names which just took on a new importance because one of them turned up on lists of the best courses in America.

Naming courses today is a bit different.  The goal is presumably to find a new and interesting name to market your new course and make it stand out from the crowd, but there have been several examples of courses choosing similar names to a successful modern course, which sometimes appear to be an attempt to piggyback off confusion with the other.  Sometimes it's just a coincidence, but sometimes it is not.

I guess trademarks might be the answer but I'm not sure they apply to golf course names, because there is already such a precedent of multiple St. Andrewses.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 09:05:30 PM »
You hit the nail on the head Tom.  The answer is to pick something unique not tied to the locale if possible and then to search it to see if its in use or if it has numerous geographical incarnations.

"Pine valley" can describe any valley with pines, but it also acquired secondary meaning in the golf industry, so is able to be registered, although I dont think they can force a renaming of other Pine valleys because they existed many years ago.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 09:14:58 PM »
Jay:

The problem with that is that I've always felt a course name is better if it's relatively simple and it DOES have a geographic significance ... like say, Pacific Dunes.  But you can't claim a "secondary meaning in the golf business" for a while, so that leaves the door open for others to copy the name in the short term.

RichMacafee

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 09:32:16 PM »
There is a Pacific Dunes in Port Stephens, New South Wales, Australia.

http://www.pacificdunes.com.au/pages/

"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 09:35:53 PM »
Rich:

I knew that when I posted ... I saw the name in a list of courses being operated by Troon Management.  It opened in 2005.  Everyone think that name was a coincidence?

Andy Troeger

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 09:36:04 PM »
Tom,
You obviously know more about this than I, so contradict if I am wrong...

It would seem like any really good golf course being built today is going to want the unique name, which greatly decreases the chances of doubling up. Why would you want to name your course something that's going to get you confused with someplace else.

Weaker courses might be more likely to want the namesake to piggyback, but the better course isn't likely to lose too much business accidentally in that case.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 09:42:35 PM »
Andy, I agree, Pacific Dunes in Oregon isn't losing any business because somebody mistakes it for the one in Australia.

However, there is an architect in Australia who can tell everybody he designed Pacific Dunes.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 09:43:11 PM by Tom_Doak »

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 10:40:14 AM »
However, there is an architect in Australia who can tell everybody he designed Pacific Dunes.

At least James' other well known Aussie course has an original name:

- The Cut at Port Bouvard

What a mouthful!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 10:51:53 AM »
The one that gets me is that there is a Vista Verde in Ohio...I just wonder why?  

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 11:46:20 AM »
This topic has my got my curiosity up.

Do we have any cases or instances of a course/resort successfully suing another to change or drop its name?

I have to agree with the point that Tom alluded to on this one that is it seems very lame that anyone can design a cow pasture type course somewhere and call it Pacific Dunes.  I'm not suggesting that the one is Australia fits this bill, but just more in general terms.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 11:46:51 AM by Kalen Braley »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 12:02:35 PM »
Jay:

The problem with that is that I've always felt a course name is better if it's relatively simple and it DOES have a geographic significance ... like say, Pacific Dunes.  But you can't claim a "secondary meaning in the golf business" for a while, so that leaves the door open for others to copy the name in the short term.

Yeah, secondary meaning takes five years or a ton of money.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 03:34:11 PM »
Quote from: Jay Flemma Yeah, secondary meaning takes five years or a ton of money.
[quote

Would you explain the process?

Eventually the knuckle head who named it Pacific Dunes is going to be getting a lot of credit for that other architect.

That is so lame.

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 04:40:01 PM »
The problem with that is that I've always felt a course name is better if it's relatively simple and it DOES have a geographic significance ... like say, Pacific Dunes.  

You have hit the nail on the head Tom.

In Ireland "Royal County Down" is mixed up with "Down Royal"

Jim Franklin

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 04:44:07 PM »
I heard that when Tom Fazio was building Sand Ridge in Cleveland that they originally were going to name it Sand Hills and Ben Crenshaw called and asked him not to name it Sand Hills so that's where Sand Ridge came from.
Mr Hurricane

Paul Payne

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 04:46:43 PM »
There is a Deer Run located not to far from the TPC at Deere Run. Can be confusing until they quote the greens fee.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 04:50:38 PM »
Dale;

The 'Pine Valley' in KY is mediocrity. The course near Lexington is 'Cherry Blossom' and it is quite good indeed.

Doug

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 05:21:55 PM »
There is a Deer Run located not to far from the TPC at Deere Run. Can be confusing until they quote the greens fee.
There is also a Deer Run golf course in Ontario.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 05:28:30 PM »
There are Victoria Golf Clubs in both the sand belt in Australia as well as in Victoria, British Columbia.  They are both excellent courses and may win the contest for best namesake pair.  

There are Sunningdale Golf Clubs in both London, England and London, Ontario - the one in London Ontario is where I was married.  The one in Canada is 36 holes - the first course designed by Stanley Thompson and I believe the second by Robbie Robinson.

Ken Moum

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 10:00:56 PM »
The question I have is, How did we end with Royal Melbourne Golf Club in Long Grove, Illinois???

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/golf-course.asp?course=14235

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 10:42:47 PM »
I did wonder how many Stonehaven Golf Clubs there were around the world , and could only find three , which surprised me .

1.My Home Course - N.E. Scotland.
2.A Nine Holer in Ontario.
3.A pretty new course in West Virginia.
4.The Stonehaven that Greg Norman built but never opened and is now Mirabel.

Unless you know different ?.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 10:57:04 PM »
A somewhat unique name is also no gurantee of singularity.  My club Musgrove Mill GC was certainly unique sounding (or so I thought when I first joined) being named for the Revolutionary War Battle of Musgrove Mill that took place in the river valley where the course is located.

However when traveling through Alabama a few years ago I came across Musgrove GC west of Birmingham on the way towards Russleville.

And speaking of "Namesake Courses" several years ago I took my friend from Atlanta Roger Musgrove to play my club, and he ended up joining.  His comments were simple "How many times do you get a chance to join a club that has your name embroidered on all the shirts and golf bags?"  

Closer to the truth is that Musgrove offers an unbelievable non-resident membership and it was a good logistical fit for his sales territory at that time too.  But I still tell the story that he joined "Because my name is on the shirts."
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 11:00:59 PM by Daryl "Turboe" Boe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 05:12:04 AM »
There are certainly a few "National" Golf clubs.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back