News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

The Ailsa #s 1-11
« on: March 19, 2007, 10:07:51 AM »
I wasn't sure we would get out on Sunday.  The course was closed early am, but we managed to get out despite the gales and hail.  The first three holes are fairly benign - much like the start of Troon.  If a championship course ever presented a string of three holes that could be birdied than these are it.

A view of the cool  low-lying 3rd from #2 tee.

The 2nd green.

The approach to #3

Now begins a stretch of holes which is difficult to beat anywhere.  #4

Tee shot for #5 - a great par 4 which legs around the corner and slighly uphill.

The third to the 5th.

Just a moment later...

I dove into a bunker for cover and took this pic of my mate, Chris, walking backwards up the fairway.

A driver was the club of choice for #6.  In fact, if a good score was to be had for holes 4-8 then great woodplay and putting were essential.

Looking back at #6 from #7 tee.

#7 is normally reachable par 5 if the bunkers are negociated.

The approach to #7.

Ahhh, I think #8 to be one of the very best par 4s I have ever played.

There is a very cool hollow just behind me which spells doom for anybody caught down there.  This is the long approach.

The 9th is the most famous hole at Turnberry, but I don't think it is as good as the previous four unless one plays the Open tee.

A last look at the marvelous 8th.

The approach to #9 after hitting from the daily tees.

The fun continues on #10.  I really like the idea of the middle bunkers creating two fairways.

But, I am not convinced by this huge donut bunker.  

The 11th is the final hole in a remarkable stretch.

Holes 12-18 will follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 10:08:26 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Andrew Mitchell

Re:The Ailsa #s 1-11
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 10:25:37 AM »
Sean

The sea in the first picture looks really wild!  From the absence of a photograph I assume you didn't fancy the walk back to to the exposed ninth championship tee ;D

I don't think we could have had more contrasting days from when I played it last October. Although the weather was overcast there was hardly a breath of wind.

I agree that the stretch of holes from the fourth to the eleventh (& possibly including the twelfth) is difficult to beat.

I await your analysis of holes 12 -18!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 10:37:08 AM »
Sean
You're a golfer. I think I might want this shot for next year's xmas cards.

JMorgan

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 11:26:17 AM »
Sean
You're a golfer. I think I might want this shot for next year's xmas cards.

Classic.  

Sean, too bad your mate didn't get a shot looking back at you hunkered down in your foxhole.   That would have made a great companion shot.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 12:05:30 PM »
Thanks for the photos Sean.

I love the Ailsa course at Turnberryand have argued its merits with Ran on more then one occasion.  If one believes that the best of courses have world class golf holes then Turnberry can not be denied.

I had better weather then you for both my rounds and also lucky to be playing with a former Turnberry asst pro so we could play the medal tees.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 12:28:49 PM »
Great pictures of one of my favourite courses. I found that the first three holes "could" be birdied but usually were exposed to a nice breeze.  
Playing the 18th hole the first round was a good drive and 6 iron, 4 hours later it was a good drive pin-high, a chip and 3 putts.
I noticed the "rough" looks a bit dormant, I guess the hail more than makes up for it though.  
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Andy Hughes

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 03:12:05 PM »
Have I mentioned recently that it is good to be Sean Arble? ;)
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Doug Siebert

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 01:15:42 AM »
Well I've mentioned several times I've found Turnberry lacking in the challenge department, compared to courses some would claim are "easier" such as TOC or Prestwick.

However, I guess the days I played have just lacked the hail! :o
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 09:54:55 AM »
Sean, have I mentioned recently that I birdied 7, 8, 9, and 10, and then plopped an ace on #11 all in succession? Boy, that was a fun round.
Mr Hurricane

Sean Leary

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 07:17:42 PM »
Turnberry had the strongest winds of our two week trip to Scotland a few years back.  The first hole was driver, 4 iron and the second  hole was three wood from the tee over the back of the green :o

I really like the 4-10 stretch of holes.  

Guy Phelan

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 08:02:32 PM »
Sean, have I mentioned recently that I birdied 7, 8, 9, and 10, and then plopped an ace on #11 all in succession? Boy, that was a fun round.

Jimmy,

Why have you never done that with me?
Forget the ace...

Guy

Jim Franklin

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 07:42:29 AM »
Guy -

That is a good question. Maybe this spring is the time ;).
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back