News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Lakota Canyon/Redlands Mesa outing.
« on: March 16, 2007, 03:27:43 PM »
Hi All,

Andy Troeger and I are putting together a trip to western Colorado to play Lakota Canyon and Redlands Mesa.  For now the tenative dates are June 2nd and 3rd.  This would include a PM round at LC followed by a morning round at RM the next day.  As they are about 80 miles apart, we'd probably look to driving over to Grand Junction that night for lodging.

As Andy is in New Mexico and I'm in Northern Utah, we wanted to structure it this way so folks would have ample driving time to get home on Sunday night.  This is an open invitation and while we would like everyone to come out, we hope that those in the general area/region will be able to make it.

If anyone is interested in participating will you please either leave a post here or send me a PM so we can start to gather numbers for tee time purposes.

Thanks,

Kalen Braley
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 03:31:06 PM by Kalen Braley »

Jay Flemma

Re:Lakota Canyon/Redlands Mesa outing.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 03:35:12 PM »
Man, you guys are gonna have a BALL!  That's a helluva one-two punch!  stay for at least three days.

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=249

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=219

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 08:34:11 AM »
I'll be there  ;D

Looking forward to it!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
My wife and I will be there after Labor Day this year, so if anyone wants to meet up then, pls IM me.

If you have an opportunity to play each course twice or play with someone who knows each course, it will help.

There are some blind shots and very elevated tees, and the ball carries tremedously, so you can use all the help possible as a first timer.

LC at 7100 yards from the very back tees, really plays to only about 6300 so I would encourage the better players to play it all the way back except on #5.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 03:28:23 PM »
Kalen, et al:

Simply enjoy.

P.S. Follow what Cary suggested in regards to tee length.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 09:19:52 PM »
Kalen, et al:

Simply enjoy.

P.S. Follow what Cary suggested in regards to tee length.

Thanks for the advice Cary...we'll keep that in mind and hope some other GCA'ers will be able to come out with us.

Kalen

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 08:20:48 PM »
Boy, I wish I could make that trip but I don't like my chances considering my wife is due with our fourth child (all girls!) on May 20th, but we'll see how it goes.  I really like both of those courses and am a big Jim Engh fan.  He has really put a totally different style of golf course out there and they are quite fun to play.  Now that I've figured out how to post some pics, I saw this thread and decided I couldn't resist.  Here are some pics of Redlands Mesa from the last time I played it and then I'll post some pics of Lakota Canyon Ranch.

Like a lot of Jim Engh holes, the par four 2nd plays from an elevated tee.

I wish this hole could have come out more dramatic with a different tee box placement or something.  The cliff off the right side of the 4th hole is amazing, but under-portrayed.

I like the par 5 fifth.  You can really try to blast it over the corner and give yourself a chance to attack a VERY difficult green in two, or fire straight away at the aiming bunker and layup from there.  

Here is that tough green on #5.  I've found it's a bit of a trademark green for Jim Engh as I've found it on some of his other tracks.

8th hole is a pretty par three from another elevated tee to a green fronted by water.  If water is to be found on a site Engh is going to work on, you can count on having a green behinid it.

The nice par four 11th hole.

The 14th is the most unique hole on the course.  A straight forward layup is offered off the tee or you can take a rip over the rocks at that green.  I'm one for two on getting to that green with the more risky play.  Cool hole.

The 14th green looking back at the rock pile you have to clear with your tee shot if you are going for broke.

Cool background on this dogleg left par 4 with water protecting the corner.  16th hole of the day.

The 17th is a crazy awesome par 3 from the closed tee.  I wish somehow they could keep that tee open and make it bigger because it gave that shot some SERIOUS exhilaration!  I've never stood on a tee box where I actually felt if I swung too hard I could fall off and die, but that tee box did!

Solid finishing hole that climbs uphill to the bowled green.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 08:24:41 PM »
That pic of #5 green....is that depicting 4 different heights of cut, when including the green itself? 4 heights of cut within 15 feet of playing space.....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 08:44:17 PM »
That pic of #5 green....is that depicting 4 different heights of cut, when including the green itself? 4 heights of cut within 15 feet of playing space.....

Joe

I see what you are saying when looking at the pic, but I don't remember there being two height differences in the rough when playing it.

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 09:02:59 PM »
Alright, here are some pictures of Lakota.  Pics always get me pumped to go play somewhere so hopefully you'll enjoy these.

The attractive downhill par three 3rd places to a very wide green that offers several pin placements.

4th:  Big uphill par 5 that plays to a green . . .

. . . with a steep false front.

The 5th is probably the most reachable 600+ yard par 5 that I've ever played.  The bowled out portion of the right side of the green provides some forgiveness when firing for the green in two.

Cool little pot bunkers in the fairway make laying up a pretty good option on the downhill 8th par four.  The same style of bunkering is found on Engh monster downhill 16th at Pradera.

The well protected 217 yard par three 15th.

The 16th is Lakota's #1 handicap, a lot of which has to do with this tough approach that requires a forced carry.

Classic Engh downhill par three.  DEEP green can leave you some nightmare putts if you don't calculate the elevation change correctly on your club selection.

I just LOVE this finishing hole.  The tips are actually on the other side of the road.  The hole is short enough that it affords a great chance to go for the green in two; just take enough club and play to the left side of the green.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 09:44:03 PM »
Bill,

Thanks for posting the photos of both courses. You're right, I was already looking forward to seeing both courses, but now I'm REALLY excited about seeing both courses. Hopefully it will convince some others who see them to join us as well.

Only problem...its still 2.5 months away, I wish you'd have posted them like a week in advance! I'm not that patient  ;D ;)

Michael Christensen

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 10:34:03 PM »
jeez...it says 69 in new castle tomorrow and mid 60s all week......presume there is still snow

I am trying to clear some space in the calendar to make it out with Denver on the front end and maybe Avon on the back...we shall see when I get back from the Lothian/St Andrews jaunt next week!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 01:18:18 PM »
Nice pix...we had a great discussion about that 5th green at Redlands because Mike Strantz designed the exact same thing at 5 at Tot Hill...also the 5th hole and also a par-5.  The interesting thing is Engh never saw tot hill and strantz never saw redlands...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 01:19:19 PM »
Very nice pics Bill,

Thanks for posting those.  Good luck with all those girls, but I really don't see why you're wife isn't more accomadating in letting you get out to play some golf.   ;D

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 01:25:28 PM »
Advice: Don't play from the tips on 3 & 8 at Lakota unless you bring some extra oxygen. The escalators have not been installed yet. Cary is working on that project with ownership. ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 01:26:20 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matt_Ward

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 04:09:56 PM »
Bill:

Great photos.

Two of the best holes Engh has designed are at Lakota Canyon -- the par-5 4th and the closing hole. I have opined on #18 previously but #4 often is dismissed.

Here you have an uphill par-5 where the tee shot must be placed in the right position. The green can be reached in two shots but the second must take a very aggressive line over the trees on the left and have enough loft to handle the neatly crafted and elevated putting surface.

Lakota is indeed a joy to play.

While people are in the vicinity -- it may pay off to make a quick side visit to Devil's Thumb in Delta -- roughly 40 miles or so south of Grand Junction. Designer Rick Phelps did a superb job given the constraints of budget and the land the course occupies.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 05:58:38 PM »
Advice: Don't play from the tips on 3 & 8 at Lakota unless you bring some extra oxygen. The escalators have not been installed yet. Cary is working on that project with ownership. ;D

8 is only 100 steps uphill, lots of really...really
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Doug Ralston

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 08:38:46 PM »
Jesus Christ!

I generally am not too sorry about my choice of career and being destitute to practice it. But these pix make me envious of the means to play there. My kind of courses.

Enjoy!

Doug

Kirk Gill

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 09:41:30 PM »
Doug - around $85 each to play.......all your cost is getting there !

Which makes me feel more than a little sheepish for not having played them, as they're just a few hours up the road from here (though I am similarly destitute)............

My bad.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Andy Troeger

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 05:18:25 PM »
Bump...just to see if there is any interest or anyone who did not see this originally...

Dan Smoot

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 12:36:05 AM »
I live within 4 hours of both courses.  If there is space, please tentatively pencil me in.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 10:42:37 AM »
Dan,

There is room left, looking forward to it. We're still hoping to get at least a few more too.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 02:43:24 PM »
Bump again.

Maybe we need to come up with a name for this event with all these other "Cups" floating around!

Still looking for more takers if anyone is interested.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 03:58:55 PM »
How about Cowboy Cup. Put your western hat on, go to the sports store and buy the official trophy worn by bull riders everywhere.
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 03:59:35 PM »
Would that be a 5 gallon hat or a 10??   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back