News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

News from Mark Mungeam
« on: March 13, 2007, 09:04:41 AM »
From golfcoursenews.com:

Mark A. Mungeam, ASGCA, announced the creation of Mungeam Cornish Golf Design, a course architecture firm formed in response to the recent dissolution of Cornish, Silva and Mungeam.

After nearly 20 years working together — but most of that time overseeing their own projects independent of one another — architects Mark Mungeam and Brian Silva have decided to create separate businesses that reflect their long-established work habits while enabling each to explore new challenges.

“It was great working with Brian. We influenced and learned a lot from each other, which really helped our design styles evolve and improve,” said Mungeam, who noted that Mungeam Cornish Golf Design was officially formed in August of 2006.

Mungeam Cornish sets out on its new course with a variety of projects. The firm’s ongoing work includes the complete restoration of Woodway Country Club, a wonderful Willie Park Jr. design in Darien, Conn. and finalization of a bunker renovation and practice facility expansion project at municipal owned Cranberry Valley Golf Course on Cape Cod. The firm is preparing master plans for Robert Trent Jones-designed North Hills Country Club in Manhasset, N.Y. and 27-hole Silvermine Golf Club in Norwalk, CT and will continue fine-tuning of the Top-100 Olympia Fields Country Club (North Course) in Chicago and the A.W. Tillinghast-designed Golden Valley Golf and Country Club in Minnesota.

This spring sees the 18-hole grand opening of Butter Brook Golf Club, a dynamic new design in Westford, Mass. The firm has also begun the design of The Falls at Black Creek, a new 18 in rural Forestburgh, NY, where the rustic course is gently sited among ledge outcrops, wooded slopes and a mountain stream.

Here's the full article:

www.golfcoursenews.com/news/news.asp?ID=3097
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Noel Freeman

Re:News from Mark Mungeam
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 09:48:19 AM »
The Silvermine GC is right next to my house but I never joined b/c it is a 27 hole executive course. Would be cool if they'd let Mark convert it into a 18 hole real course.. Then again it is very cheap to join at 15k.. I'd love to see him do something like what he did at Oxford Greens and redo the place but I don't think that would fly with the members.

SL_Solow

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 05:55:30 PM »
I had the pleasure of working with Mark on the "sympathetic renovation" of my home course, Briarwood CC in Deerfield Il.  Mark did an outstanding job.  He was creative and responsive and built a great reverse redan to replace a previously mangled hole in a prior renovation of our 1921 Colt & Alison course.  he is a fine architedt and a good friend.

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 09:20:46 AM »

What is being done at Woodway?  They went thorugh a pretty large renovation (with clubhouse) only a few years ago and it was farm from a restoration.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 09:57:15 AM »

This spring sees the 18-hole grand opening of Butter Brook Golf Club, a dynamic new design in Westford, Mass.

Steve...would be interested to know what information you have on Butter Brook.  Have seen pictures from their website and looks tremendous.  Also green fee is listed at $50, which for New England is now considered reasonable.  When is the opening date for all 18?  

BTW have enjoyed Mungeam designs with the notable exception of Cyprian Keyes outside of Worcester Mass.  Just too tight and hard.

Thanks
Cliff

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 11:02:59 AM »
I had never heard of Butter Brook. Looks like it might be pretty decent and should only be 20 minutes from my house. I'm crossing my fingers it is similar to Oxford Greens. I'll check it out this spring if we ever get rid of the foot of snow outside my door.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back