News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Clandestine Florida Golf
« on: March 16, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
Hypothetically, if a guy were to sneak away from a family visit in Punta Gorda (35 miles N or Fort Myers), for a quick round of golf what would be the best destination in terms of a a good course, decent pace of play, and close to my starting point?

I am already playing at Fiddlesticks in an authorized round that week.  I've ruled out World Woods as simply too far away.  I do not want to blow an entire day for this type of effort.

I probably will never follow through on this idea.  Nonetheless, one never knows when golf will happen and I always like to be prepared.

james soper

Re:Clandestine Florida Golf
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 03:59:15 PM »
sara bay(ross), the concession(nicklaus), or gator creek(lee) in sarasota. i heard that the fort myers country club- or notrh fort myers( i think that's the name) was a ross redo that was well done. it is a municipal track.

michael j fay

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 04:13:25 PM »
Fort Meyers Country Club, right on route 41 in downtown Fort Meyers. Green fee of I think$ 35.00. They allow walkers. No two shots in the same direction. Nice set of greens.

Sarasota is a pretty good haul but I would endorse either Sara Bay or Concession.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 05:06:46 PM »
I forget exactly where it is, but I liked lochmoor as a kid and they had a great price...but that was years ago...

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 05:12:20 PM »
Jason,

Did I mention the type of dangerous stuff you find off the fairways in Florida?  

;)  ;D

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 05:31:29 PM »
Jason,

;)  ;D

Good point...at Lochmoor do NOT hawk golf balls...you will get an alligator chasing you...like my dad did when he tried to retrieve one...it was funny watching him run for a palm tree.

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 05:41:02 PM »
Jason,

;)  ;D

Good point...at Lochmoor do NOT hawk golf balls...you will get an alligator chasing you...like my dad did when he tried to retrieve one...it was funny watching him run for a palm tree.

Hey - I've been to Australia.  If you want dengerous, try venturing into this sort of country:

Of the 10 most dangerous snakes in the world, 8 are Australian. The most poisonous snake in the world, is the TAIPAN, whose venom is strong enough to kill 100 adults with only one bite. In second place comes the Brown Snake, capable of sending many to heaven with one bite also. In third, the Tiger Snake, which is as dangerous as the Brown. To the ones who wish to visit the Coast line and walk on the hills over the grass, be aware that it may be dangerous especially during summer time. If bitten, a bandage wrapped around the area is the best thing you can do before getting help as soon as possible. (Try to remember the colour and shape of the snake to describe to the doctor). If you get in a situation where you have a snake a few feet away from you, the best thing to do is to stand still, and wait for the snake to leave.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 05:55:06 PM »
Jason,

I assume you are playing Long Mean at Fiddlesticks. I imagine you would find the back nine far better than the front and certainly one of Garl's better efforts.

Eastwood is another course that is as good as any of the private set in the area.. sister course to Ft. Meyers CC.

I lived in the area for a while and the golf as a whole, while plentiful, is less than spectacular.

Fiddlesticks may be the best in the area.

Sara Bay in Sarasota was a good suggestion.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 06:03:57 PM »
Jason,

;)  ;D

Hey - I've been to Australia.  If you want dengerous, try venturing into this sort of country:

Of the 10 most dangerous snakes in the world, 8 are Australian. The most poisonous snake in the world, is the TAIPAN, whose venom is strong enough to kill 100 adults with only one bite. In second place comes the Brown Snake, capable of sending many to heaven with one bite also. In third, the Tiger Snake, which is as dangerous as the Brown. To the ones who wish to visit the Coast line and walk on the hills over the grass, be aware that it may be dangerous especially during summer time. If bitten, a bandage wrapped around the area is the best thing you can do before getting help as soon as possible. (Try to remember the colour and shape of the snake to describe to the doctor). If you get in a situation where you have a snake a few feet away from you, the best thing to do is to stand still, and wait for the snake to leave.

Wait a minute...what about the Black Mamba?

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 06:05:16 PM »
Jason,

I assume you are playing Long Mean at Fiddlesticks. I imagine you would find the back nine far better than the front and certainly one of Garl's better efforts.

Thanks Greg.  We are playing the Long Mean, which I have played many times and really enjoy.  I'm not sure I agree that the back is better than the front.  I think, 2, 4, 6, 8 and 9 are good memorable holes. The back is tougher, but I'm not sure it is more fun.

I used to enjoy the other course as well, but really did not like the renovations they made to toughen up that course.  It now plays as a tough tight course which does not sucessfully cater to either low or high handicappers.

Tony Petersen

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 06:11:20 PM »
Jay -

Contrary to urban folklore, the Black Mamba doesn't even rank in the top-10 most deadliest snakes. It's #11 ;)

Take a look:

http://snake.fol.nl/Page2.html

or

http://manbir-online.com/htm2/snake.22.htm
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Greg Tallman

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 06:33:27 PM »
Jason,

Thanks Greg.  We are playing the Long Mean, which I have played many times and really enjoy.  I'm not sure I agree that the back is better than the front.  I think, 2, 4, 6, 8 and 9 are good memorable holes. The back is tougher, but I'm not sure it is more fun.

I used to enjoy the other course as well, but really did not like the renovations they made to toughen up that course.  It now plays as a tough tight course which does not sucessfully cater to either low or high handicappers.

Interesting... I have played it a million times and apart from 5-7 found the front less than compelling... 9 was Ok but the others???? Tee shot at 4 was also good. Good golf but for wahtever reason just enjoyed the back much more.

The Piper's Challenge used to be great fun. We would play money matches there and in order to collect you had to shoot 65 or better... Never forget missing it from 2 feet one day to leave a considerable sum on the table. Have not been back since the changes were made.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 06:33:41 PM »
Hmm...that's interesting.  Show's you how Hollywood influences us...great movie though.

"The amount of venom that can be delivered from one bite can be gargantuan..."

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 07:53:47 PM »

That sounds like it's from In A Sunburned Country, the best travel book I have ever read.  The author (Bill Bryson) tries to explain why it is that so many poisonous animals are found there, and why their poison is often 1,000,000 times as powerful as any predator they ever faced in the evolutionary struggle.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 08:56:59 PM »
Of the 10 or so courses I played around Cape Coral/Fort Myers, Eastwood was by far the best (didn't play Ft Myers CC). Its worth the play and isn't particularly expensive either for the area.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 10:25:17 PM »
Run hard run fast to Mountain Lake. Leave the wife and kids as well. So what if you miss a day, you are making a life changing move for the better.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 02:30:37 AM »
Go a little north of Port Charlotte to the Venetian Golf and River Club.  Whitten has a review of it, if you're interested.  I liked it.

Tom Roewer

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 06:45:20 AM »
I agree totally with Tiger, but if being single in the future is not an option, go to Calusa Pines, you won't be disappointed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back