News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Conley

How good is the K Club?
« on: March 13, 2007, 11:32:39 AM »
Designer Arnold Palmer stood on the balcony of his hotel room one evening, and when asked if there was anything that could be done to improve the course, replied, "We could draw and plan for 100 years and still not come up with as good a vision."

Lloyd_Cole

Re:How good is the K Club?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 12:24:38 PM »
Designer Arnold Palmer stood on the balcony of his hotel room one evening, and when asked if there was anything that could be done to improve the course, replied, "We could draw and plan for 100 years and still not come up with as good a vision."

Arnold is clearly senile.
It's a great Ryder Cup TV golf course. The turf is leaden in the rain, and for an average player it is just a slog. I was not charmed.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 12:36:55 PM »
Well said Lloyd. I might have said Arnold was dreaming of TOC when he answered that question.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 12:40:54 PM »
I enjoyed the K Club.  The course had some interesting holes and was in good condition.  The facility was nice.  It was easily the best parkland course I've played in Ireland, but it's also the only one.  I think it would be a very good course in the US, but not necessarily a great one.

During the same trip I also played Portmarnock, County Louth, The Island, and Royal County Down.  When I think back on the trip, the K Club is the LAST course to come to mind.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 01:08:09 PM »
 "It was easily the best parkland course I've played in Ireland, but it's also the only one."

Surely you jest John.

What then would you call Mount Juliet, Carton House, PGA National. The Heritage, Killarney and on and on and on..............

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 01:22:49 PM »
"It was easily the best parkland course I've played in Ireland, but it's also the only one."

Surely you jest John.

What then would you call Mount Juliet, Carton House, PGA National. The Heritage, Killarney and on and on and on..............
I think he'd call it the only parkland course in Ireland he's played.  That's what he called it first time, anyway.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 01:32:50 PM »
Thank you Mark, I stand corrected.

John, next time you are in Santa Barbara, the first three pints of Guinness are on me.

Aidan.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 02:36:23 PM »
The KClub is a very good course.  It is unfortunate that it does not drain better.  For those of us on the west side of the pond it is easy to criticize it because it is so much like the courses we play and we are looking for courses we deem "Irish" or "British".  When I remarked to and Irish friend, that the course did not seem to belong in Ireland, he replied, "Not every course is built for you Americans.  We like to play differing kinds of courses too."

Mt Juliet is alos very good but the K Club accomplishes what it is supposed to, give a good experience for the tourist and offer a good test for the pros.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brent Hutto

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 03:05:07 PM »
Isn't it true that the phrase "drains like a rice paddie" (no pun intended) is pretty much the kiss of death for those of us on this forum?

Is it possible for a course to be very highly thought of around here if it's built on heavy soil in a rainy climate?

So maybe this thread should be titled "Is the K Club better than most other muddy courses?" or something like that.

Followup question....name the best course you've played that has been soft and wet every time you've played there. I can't think of one because the experience of playing a course the first time when it's sloppy usually results in my not returning.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 03:13:56 PM »
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

BCrosby

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 03:15:29 PM »
Brent asks:

"....name the best course you've played that has been soft and wet every time you've played there."

Wade Hampton.

Bob
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 03:17:20 PM by BCrosby »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 03:21:20 PM »
John C - so someone besides me has the Golf Digest 365 Golf Holes Calendar?   ;D ;D

Now about this:

Quote from: Brent Hutto link=board=1;threadid=28315;start=0#msg544220 Followup question....name the best course you've played that has been soft and wet every time you've played there. [quote

Absolutely no doubt about it:  Olympic Club - Lake.  I've played it many times and every time it's been soft and wet.  Note I have yet to play it since the recent deforestation and drying out.

No comment on K Club anyway.  I can't imagine playing this on a trip to Ireland as a visitor from afar... too many links to conquer!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 04:09:09 PM »
Bob, they keep Wade Hampton soft and wet. What a pity!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 04:53:59 PM »
I can understand why the course is there for the Irish to play a parks-land course.

But as Huck says, if you're a visitor traveling to Ireland, why in the world would you ever want to play anything other than the links courses?

To me, thats a bit like traveling to India and eating Subway...no thanks, I'll try the local food please.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 04:54:30 PM by Kalen Braley »

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 05:42:32 PM »
I can understand why the course is there for the Irish to play a parks-land course.

But as Huck says, if you're a visitor traveling to Ireland, why in the world would you ever want to play anything other than the links courses?

To me, thats a bit like traveling to India and eating Subway...no thanks, I'll try the local food please.
Kalen

None of the locals, barring the uber wealthy play it. It is too expensive.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 05:59:43 PM »
I suppose if its a wet bog, I don't blame them for not doing such.  I researched it a little bit last year during the ryder cup and the fees looked very pricey.

John_Conley

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 06:12:22 PM »
John C - so someone besides me has the Golf Digest 365 Golf Holes Calendar?   ;D ;D

Every year.

Today's blurb brought a smile to my face.  So did the Calcavecchia quote.  "I don't want to say anything bad about #18, but it is the worst hole on the course."

Robert Thompson

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 10:56:03 PM »
At about $400 per round, it is an outrageously expensive extravagence for a very average parkland course. Are there some fine holes? Yes. Is it worth going out of your way to play considering the cost. No.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 03:23:17 AM »
Tommy how long since you've played it, they have done a lot of drainage work since it opened?  I was there last september and believe me a lot of water fell and it held up pretty well.

However I played it the year before for free, but I wouldn't be bothered to go back, the water everywhere became boring.
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 01:19:37 PM »
Thank you Mark, I stand corrected.

John, next time you are in Santa Barbara, the first three pints of Guinness are on me.

Aidan.

No problem!  I'm more of a Smithwick's guy, but if the Guinness is free...

I've only played in Ireland once.  Would love to try out some of the other parkland courses, but not sure how far I could stray from the links.  The answer, of course, is a long stay if only it were practical.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 02:52:15 PM »

John:
Had the opportunity to play the Palmer course at the K Club last October.  I found it to be very ordinary and certainly not worth the money.  It simply does not compare to a Parkland course like Druid Glen.  Of the seven courses we played in Ireland this was by far my least favorite and I would not go back.
Best
Dave

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 04:55:40 PM »
Tommy how long since you've played it, they have done a lot of drainage work since it opened?  I was there last september and believe me a lot of water fell and it held up pretty well.

However I played it the year before for free, but I wouldn't be bothered to go back, the water everywhere became boring.

Tony, it has been three years since I played the course.  I am glad to hear they have addressed the drainage problems.  I figured it was only a matter of time, because they certainly haave the financial resources to do it.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 08:42:39 AM »
The K-club may not interest us as being parkland in a land full of links and very expensive.  Presumably it attracts visitors, because it is attached to a very expensive hotel.  Who those visitors may be I know not, but they must visit or the place would have closed long ago.

But if you wanted to play parkland courses in Ireland wouldn't you, as a GCA aficionado, try some of the older parkland courses, such as Tramore, Hermitage, Grange, or Tullamore in the south or Belvoir Park, Royal Belfast or Malone in the north?

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 01:28:32 PM »
Most Irish people consider this the Best Irish Course since the Ryder Cup was held here. I heard that Tiger thinks it is one of the best in Ireland.

When I was explaining to other Junoirs why RCD  should not be as green as ANGC, one of my points was it is not sustainable in the Irish climate. The reponse I got was is

"Wheres the K Club, China I presume?"

Overall I would not travel 100 miles to it due to the price but I would not turn down a free round.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 03:41:21 PM »
Mark, I have played most of the ones you listed.  I found a course On the way from Kildare to Wicklow in the foothills of the Wicklow Mts.  I just happened upon it.  It is called Coolatin (sp?) It is not in any sense of the word great.  It was great fun with some remarkable short par fours.  Anyone else familiar with it?
St. John of the Cross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back