News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Walsh

Reverse. 2nd
« on: March 06, 2007, 01:22:21 PM »
Now it starts to get interesting.  This will be a devilishly difficult hole.  At my reckoning a long approach will be required over rough and bunkered ground to a smallish (for TOC) section of green.

A slightly blind drive.  The shorter route is to drive left, plenty of space out to the right though. As shown below.

A view of the pin in the distance. Red flag.

Light Rough and bunkers between fairway and green

Imposing bunker protecting the approach from the safe drive.  But the gap between it and the OB is shown for those coming over the shed.

As with a lot of holes on the reverse they don't look half as dangerous looking back.  Also shows there is a little more room between bunker and OB than you would think.

And the link to Jeremy's article

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/opinionglenn3.html
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 01:23:09 PM by Sean Walsh »

Andy Hughes

Re:Reverse. 2nd
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 01:45:10 PM »
(Sean, just whispering so as not to disturb anyone, but this is an enjoyable series you are doing. I have nothing to add, so please, carry on!)
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

peter_p

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 01:47:22 PM »
Is long a good option on the second shot?

Michael Christensen

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 01:49:19 PM »
this is great......you are doing a fabulous service for us playing in this event.......have only been to St Andrews once (for 95' Open)...have never played it

these pics give me a better prespective of what I am getting myself into.......452 yard par-4....YIKES! :o

Sean Walsh

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 02:01:04 PM »
Peter,

If you have the power long is a safe bail out.  I wouldn't think it will get you much closer than playing to the middle left of the original 2nd green.  I'd be then happy to have a go at 3 putting from there.    Also if you miss your direction (i.e left) long then OB is an even greater fear.

For me this hole is a par 5.  even more so than the Road Hole that it mirrors.  It will take two fabulous shots to be anywhere clost to the pin for most golfers.  For me it will take two fabulous shots to be within 40 feet and not in a bunker.  :)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 04:25:18 PM »
this is great......you are doing a fabulous service for us playing in this event.......have only been to St Andrews once (for 95' Open)...have never played it

these pics give me a better prespective of what I am getting myself into.......452 yard par-4....YIKES! :o

Christensen,
you're fooling no-one, bub!
If you think you can wheedle a coupla strokes out of me and Bennett, you'd best think again!

Sean,
this is very cool. What's REALLY struck me so far are the revtoc hole backdrops. So different (Obviously!) to the normal and thus quite disorienting. Aaargh!!!!

Three weeks tomorrow. Mmmmm, Dufffffff!!!!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 01:53:43 AM »
Would it be feasible to hold the Open Championship on the Reverse Course?  Would that favor the same players, i.e. Tiger, as much?  

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 01:45:58 PM »
We'll see soon enough, but I'm wondering if there are areas of the Reverse course where a normal drive -- say 220 to 260 yards on the centerline -- winds up in rough, or worse yet, gorse?

And I'm also wondering how much experience the caddies will have had with the Reverse......

Sean Walsh

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 03:14:05 PM »
Bill,

From walking it the drive isn't the problem.  There is some light rough but unless you are terribly unlucky it is little worse than the fairway (apart from the loss of distance).

Where the reverse does pose some problems is at the green end.  There are a few places where if this was the normal routing there would be comprehensive gorse removal and some more fairway prepared.

Re the caddies.  In short probably a few days a year, and that's the experienced ones.  I do know that there is at least one caddie who has done a yardage book.  I dropped into the caddie hut today but they didn't have any yardage books available.  I am however on the case and will endeavour to track one down.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:14:42 PM by Sean Walsh »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back