News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ron Farris

Looking at the aerials of Oakmont (having not seen or played the course) I was wondering if the bunkering will be the determining factors in the winning or losing of the tournament.

Or will the greens determine the winner?

Thoughts from those who know the course:

Ryan Farrow

More that anything I think it will be the rough, unfortunately. I really hope they don't go with the graduated cut and keep it all under 3". Having said that I think the FW bunkers will keep the driver out of many players hands, think Tiger at last years British Open. There are going to be a good number of bunkers particularly on par 5's that will limit recovery options and force players to lay up or just pitch out. Good question. I still don't think the USGA has decided to furrow the bunkers or not.

Tom_Doak

I'd have to say it's rough first, greens second, bunkers third, unless they go back to furrowed rakes in the bunkers.

Tim Leahy

For the Pennsylvanians out there, will weather be a factor in June? Heat, rain, wind etc. I know it's been wacky this year but what is the norm for PA in June.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mark_Fine

Oakmont will be set up very penal but ultimately for the pros, I think it will be the greens that provide the course's greatest defense.  Like many great golf courses, the strategy for each hole will be dictated back from the pin location on the green to the tee.  The rough will of course be brutal and if firm conditions prevail in June, it will be a significant factor.  Weather permitting, I'm playing Oakmont again this Thursday.  I'm anxious to see just how narrow they have made the golf course.  I'll have a better feel after my round.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back