News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Kooyonga - Adelaide
« on: February 28, 2007, 06:39:09 AM »
Kooyonga is an Adelaide course that has been discussed here before.  However, some aspects haven't been discussed and may prove of interest.  An aerial of the course is set out below.  It is a few years old, so some of the recent bunker reshaping (by Graeme Grant/Spencer) isn't there.  Yes, the bunker sand is not white.  It is the local sand, which exists on the whole course.

The first hole on today's post is the second.  It is the hole on the bottom of the aerial, running west on the southern boundary.  The airport is to the south of the course.  The second is a 450m par 5, slightly bending to the left and played into the prevailing wind.  It has been lengthened by 20m over the years, but really plays in a similar manner.  The green and its bunkers are in the same location, although the bunkers have been reshaped and deepened (they had become dishes).  The gulch that is played through approaching the green is still there, and some good vegetation management has occurred on the northern side of this approach on the sandhill.  

The hazard on the inside of the dog-leg left has had a variety of styles over the years.  Perhaps 35 years ago it became a shallow water hazard (you wouldn't lose a ball in it), then it became wilder, then bunkers.  The current version have several bunkers dug into the ground, although not as 'tits and bums' as some other work in recent times.

The tee shot - the flag is visible on the left.

The shot point hazard - the last of the set of new bunkers

Approaching the gulch, about 120m from the green

The left hand green side bunker - it had become a dish.

The right hand bunker - always had a high flashed sand face but has had shape added.

Looking back down the fairway, with the rhs sandhill visible on the left of the picture

The hole has always been somewhat wasted on the better player, as it is a 2-shot hole and the critical challenge of the approach gulch is not in play for the pro's.  A bit like Hell Bunker at TOC in the last Open.  However, the reward for the better player from finding the fairway on the tee-shot is probably a good half-shot, compared to the bushes right or the 90m recovery from the bunkers.

I hope to cover #8 par 4 (where one of the leaders took a 10 at the Jacobs Creek) and #14 (a short par 3) on another night.  These are all holes where minimal change has occurred to my knowledge over the last 35 years (well, apart from growing sime shrubs and removing/losing some pine trees)

James B
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 06:42:07 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Andrew Thomson

Re:Kooyonga - Adelaide
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 06:54:12 AM »
James,

A little birdie informed me that Kooyonga recently appointed a new architect - any truth to the rumour?

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 10:52:04 AM »
James,
   I can't see the pictures. How do I view them?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 03:55:54 PM »
James,

A little birdie informed me that Kooyonga recently appointed a new architect - any truth to the rumour?

Andrew

according to their Club notices posted within the Clubhouse, Kooyonga has engaged Hawtree to do some review project with the Committee.  They have not appointed Hawtree to be Course Architect, at this stage.

Ed

The photo's are stock standard posting as always.  I see them on GCA.  Anyone else having problems?

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 04:20:55 PM »
Interesting stuff James. More than a hint of Huntingdale in the bunkering (same designers).

Why are they looking for a new architect if they have effectively finished the bunker work? Is there something else they have planned?

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 04:23:38 PM »
James,
   Thanks. Apparently it is just me and whatever our computer at work does.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

James Bennett

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 04:28:19 PM »
Interesting stuff James. More than a hint of Huntingdale in the bunkering (same designers).

Why are they looking for a new architect if they have effectively finished the bunker work? Is there something else they have planned?

Shane

I only know what has been posted on this site on the earlier (October 06) thread.  I have not heard anything from the Club (I am not a member there).

James B

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 04:37:59 AM »
For those who haven't seen the course before, there is a review of it at  

www.ozgolf.net

under the golf course reviews section.

Mark_F

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 08:47:46 PM »
An interesting, if sparse, resource Andrew.

Poor Thommo's review of the Gunnamatta course is most profound.

"One of the clubs most notorious members".

I don't know whether to laugh that such an expensive education could result in such poor grammar, or be indignant at being described as notorious.

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 10:11:18 PM »
Mark,

If not notorious, what else could you be?

by the way, my education was not expensive and nor is my grammar poor  ;D

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 04:58:26 PM »
An interesting, if sparse, resource Andrew.

Don't worry, Mark. I'm an interesting, if sparse, sort of guy.

BTW, I'd be proud to be called notorious. Wear it as a badge of honour. ::)

Mark_F

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 07:19:05 PM »
Andrew,

Am I to assume you are one of the two handsome gentleman pictured on the banner then?

Thommo,

Legendary? Intellectually profound? Thought provoking?

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 01:36:32 AM »
Andrew,

Am I to assume you are one of the two handsome gentleman pictured on the banner then?

Actually, they are two guys from the forum that have passed away in the last year. One in a car crash & the other due to cancer.

I have very little to do with the forum, except for a few reviews.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 01:37:48 AM by Andrew Summerell »

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 08:05:18 AM »
Legendary? Intellectually profound? Thought provoking?

All neatly summed up in the word 'notorious'  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back