News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re:Bandon Winter Forecasts - Case Study Conclusions (Photos)
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2007, 01:36:14 PM »
Ralph - that is a hickory jigger I'm wielding in that picture.  I used hickories for most of the shots at Sheep Ranch - borrowed modern sticks from Ryan and Brian when I felt the need (as in the drive on a 600+ yard hole).

TH

Sean Leary

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2007, 02:24:52 PM »
Great pics Ryan.

The only thing I would add to his write up is that I would HIGHLY suggest shipping your clubs rather than bringing them with you.  They recommend it, and it is worth the $75 bucks to make sure your bag gets there.  My bag didn't get there until after the first day, and stupidly (as I know better), my Rain Jackets and shoes were in my golf bag. Much $$$ later I was dry but it is a hassle for sure.

I have been to Bandon 6 times in the winter and the weather on this trip was by far the worst (although I was only there for two days) I have seen.  9 Teebox on Sunday at Pacific was the worst 5 minutes of weather I have ever seen on a golf course....

Great time had by all for sure..

rjsimper

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2007, 02:28:15 PM »
9 Teebox on Sunday at Pacific was the worst 5 minutes of weather I have ever seen on a golf course....

Little did you know that at the same time you were making this observation, the Silver Fox was rolling in his 30 foot birdie putt on the green ahead.  Best Birdie I ever saw.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2007, 02:34:36 PM »
I will concur with Sean as to the wisdom of shipping clubs to Bandon - when I've flown there in summer, it's also always been a crapshoot.  The issue seems to be the tiny plane you take on the connector from Portland to North Bend... and the fact every single person on it seems to be going to Bandon Dunes.. it's weight issues or something... in any case bottom line seems to be about 75% of clubs make it on the flight with their owners, 25% don't.  They always do seem to arrive, but typically the night of arrival late.  So first rounds on day of arrival remain problematic.

And that is one damn incredible birdie by the Silver Fox.

Brian Noser

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2007, 03:41:11 PM »
I must say I feel Pretty smart for having Shipped my clubs. Thanks to the Silverfox for accepting them and not breaking any of them. Yes that was one of the best birdies I have seen.. just FYI I believe he hit driver 3 iron that day the next day we hit driver flip wedge.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2007, 03:44:16 PM »
The way to avoid the golf bag issue is to drive down from Portland.  Rent the car, head out to the coast and HWY 101 and make your way down to Bandon.

This is always worth the 4 hour drive which in my mind is the finest 4 hour drive in the world!

And when you consider connecting times with the puddle jumper and flight times with its lawnmower engines, you're only saving yourself a hour or two at best flying into North Bend.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2007, 03:56:26 PM »
The way to avoid the golf bag issue is to drive down from Portland.  Rent the car, head out to the coast and HWY 101 and make your way down to Bandon.

This is always worth the 4 hour drive which in my mind is the finest 4 hour drive in the world!

And when you consider connecting times with the puddle jumper and flight times with its lawnmower engines, you're only saving yourself a hour or two at best flying into North Bend.

I agree - another airport worth looking at is flying into Eugene. Its served from Phoenix on America West / US Air and is only 2.5 Hours to the driveway of Bandon. Very pretty drive through the forests for the first hour and then along the sandhills of the coast for the remainder.

rjsimper

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2007, 04:04:34 PM »

You must be partaking in some sort of recreational drugs if you think this is a 4 hour commitment - its more than that even taking the interstate route!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2007, 04:25:30 PM »
Ryan...shhh!!!

I'm just trying to get them to consider it, with the time passing by quickly with all the views, they won't even realize it actually takes 6 hours.   ;D

As to getting there in 4 hours, it can be done with a radar detector. But you are right, you would have to take the inland route for that one.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 04:26:39 PM by Kalen Braley »

Mike Benham

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2007, 04:46:48 PM »
Dear kids,

Thanks for the kind words in regards to my birdie on #9 PD but no, you can't have an increase in your allowance.

The Silver Fox ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

rjsimper

« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2007, 04:55:23 PM »
Dear kids,

Thanks for the kind words in regards to my birdie on #9 PD but no, you can't have an increase in your allowance.

The Silver Fox ...

What's the matter...spend all your spare cash on a new putter?

;)

peter_p

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2007, 09:47:28 PM »
Texas A&M researchers today published an article in PNAS about the effect of Asian pollution on worldwide weather. Among other findings cloud depth has increased significantly in the Pacific NW. Their comparison of precipation totals 1984-1994 vs 1995-2005 included a statistic from Bandon. It increased from 80"/yr to 125"/yr in the two periods.

Gotta hand it to the Chinese, among others, they have already found a way to counteract global warming ;)

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/11731587094011.xml&coll=7

Michael Plunkett

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2007, 10:04:31 PM »
Now its MY desk top picture on my Mac.  Great stuff. Oh how I yearn.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2007, 02:43:53 PM »
Well, as I have IM'd a few of our Pacific Northwest friends for advance warning, I will be making the trip out there with my wife the weeks of April 16-26.  I am waiting for some replies regarding Bandon Resort booking tips.  She doens't play and will occupy herself with day tours on her own while I get my golf jollies.  I am tentatively looking at staying and playing there Sun-Mon, 22-23, hoping they are the slowest and easiest days to book something.  I won't wait much longer hoping not to have have the problem of lodging and golf  already booked.

Although I am now winter Wisconsin hardened, I am hoping it gets a little more comfortable out there by that time.  But, I can do upper 30s to 40s if I have to...  ;) ;D 8)

Anyone with any Bandon Resort booking tips, considering my wife will not be playing golf, just staying, IM me.  I need to at least play the Trails and Pac Dunes as priority 1.  

She is soooo nice to tolerate my golf thing...  ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2007, 08:16:26 PM »

Anyone with any Bandon Resort booking tips, considering my wife will not be playing golf, just staying, IM me.  

RJ...Book ASAP...If you are planning on playing as a single you should not have any problem getting on one of the courses at any time, but why wait?...

If your wife likes to hike and laugh at you...there is no charge to have a companion on the course...My brother has skipped playing in the afternoon and walked with me as official photographer on previous trips...

Off the course: quasi-antique/trinket shopping in town.  There are lots of ideas posted at http://www.bandon.com/webfront/merchants/?catid=11  Shore Acres State Park is suppossed to be a great place.

Enjoy Oregon...if you are in Portland for a day let me know...if it ever stops raining here, we could possibly hook up for 18.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 08:17:55 PM by Jim Adkisson »

rjsimper

« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2007, 08:19:45 PM »
Senor Daley

Give them a call - the Bandon reservation policy is 21 days prior with full refunds.  Inside of that is guaranteed.  You will find a lot of people (like me) who hang on to their extra spots until the last possible moment and then release them to the masses.

We released several "first times of the day" at Trails and Pacific 3 weeks prior to arrival.  Call tonight!

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2007, 02:16:24 AM »
Ryan,

A few more pics for your great thread! Our weather was great. We had some foggy conditions, very little wind, and kind of a misty rain for a few holes during our 42 hole, 36 hole expedition. My body is still recovering!

Here are the Gents starting round one at Bandon Trails:

#4 at Trails:

#8 - Easy hole after iron layup during 1st round, not so easy after pulled driver in round two!

#13 from the forest walk trail. The noisy cart ride from 13 to 14 during round one was a true downer during the round. Doing the walking trail takes maybe an extra minute and preserves the beauty of the place.

#14 Green

#15 Green - just about perfect...

#17 Tee - Hit two fine shots with Ping irons and Pro V1s that fed off the back. The first drifted slightly right and caught the bunker slope. The second looked perfect to the middle and then kept creeping out of sight just over the back.

We went out for 6 more holes, then celebrated downstairs!

I'll add some Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes photos a little later!

Cheers, Jeff
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2007, 12:10:44 PM »
Part 2:

#4 looking down to 12 and 15 greens.

#8 Tee - into a 1 to 2 club coming from the SW.

#14 Fairway Bunker - no more gorse on the dune behind the green.

#15 Tee - great intimidation bunker that is not as hard as it looks.

#5 at Pacific

#8 Green - pin out on the shelf

#10 Upper Tee

#11 from behind

After that I was too tired to get the camera out of the bag!
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back