News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Noser

Re:Bandon Winter Forecasts - Case Study Conclusions (Photos)
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2007, 01:58:37 PM »
 Typical english major haveing to write a novel to explain it.. well done Mr simper Now I have nothing to say except my best shot of the trip did not make the hilight reel...
and for those of you that went, the 76 really did happen.  It was great even with simper takeing 50 pictures when we were trying to finish in record time.

D_Malley

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2007, 02:27:46 PM »
what kind of pull carts are they?  i am looking for some new pull carts to purchase for rentals.  they look unbreakable.  how were they from a user standpoint?

Brian Noser

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2007, 02:33:40 PM »
They were called Ricksha.... they were ok I prefer the 3 wheel ones that Rustic Canyon has. but the wheels on the ricksha can double as a seat which was nice. They need a place for a drink and a score card and they would be better. they seemed indestructable though. No brakes which did not help in the wind.

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 03:22:37 PM »
Thanks for the Pics Ryan...They just whet my appetite for Sunday 5AM departure from Portland...Winter weather looking promising for this weekend:

Sunday: Mostly cloudy. Patchy fog in the morning. A 20 percent chance of showers in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 50s to lower 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.  :)

Monday: Cloudy. Chance of showers. Highs in the mid 50s.  :)

Tuesday: Rain likely. Highs in the lower to mid 50s.  :-\

At least through Monday...

Brad Tufts

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 03:31:37 PM »
Jim,

Compared to 40-45, windy with rain/hail...your forecast sounds great!!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Nick Church

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2007, 05:02:46 PM »
I keep banging my head against the desk ... why, again, have I not made a trip to Bandon?!?!?!

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2007, 05:29:15 PM »
Brad, having gone down to the "Banana Belt of Oregon" in November and March each of the last 4 years, I know to take the forecast with a large chunk o' salt...but I've had days playing in shorts and short sleeves from sunrise to sunset, and days of torrential rain.  Mostly however works out like Ryan, Huck, John and Noser's latest adventure...a wee bit of everything.

Bring all your clothes to see what you need...and a drying rack for the room!

Tim Pitner

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2007, 05:29:58 PM »
Tremendous photos, Ryan.  I especially enjoy the ones of Sheep Ranch--for whatever reason, my photos don't capture the holes very well (that fortress green is something else).  

Thanks for your due diligence, gentlemen.  I'm still a little skeptical.  I will consider a trip to Bandon in the winter, but having known the pleasure of playing there when it's in the 70s, the sun is shining, and the rain gear never leaves your bag, I'm somewhat reluctant to brace myself for temps in the 40s and hail.  

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2007, 05:34:30 PM »
You can not believe how chuffed I am that we are having the Revtoc event. Otherwise I would HAVE to have booked a flight to Portland NOW! Bandon looks AMAZING!

I am positively puce with envy at you boys on the Oregon trip. That is truly a golfing destination we should all aspire to visit.

I will get there sometime. (We will have a few friends in the area soon!!) ;D ;D ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2007, 06:00:51 PM »
The rickshaw comments remind of my story my caddie at Bandon told me. From what he says, caddies aren't very keen on Rickshaws, especially at peak season in August. He then lectured to us that first timers who want the full experience at Bandon MUST employ a caddie for at least one round per course (caddie speak for revenue). He was a showman, but I honestly felt he was deeply offended when he would see someone on the course with the aforementioned pull cart. Sorry for the long breath, here's the story:

A group of three was putting out on #14 green at Pacific, while the caddie's threesome was ascending #13 fairway. According to my guy, they had waited on every shot since #3 tee.

When the group finished #14, they were having trouble figuring out where to go (I'm not sure how), and one of the guys yelled across the fairway "HEY caddie!! Where is 15 Tee???"

My caddie replied, "Why don't you ask your rickshaw?"

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2007, 06:44:21 PM »
Great pics and write-ups.  You can almost given Aiden a run for his money with some of those shots.   ;D

How did you handle the cold rain with respect to your hands?  I have used rain gloves, but when it gets cold, I would figure you could easily lose your sense of touch.  Just curious.

In any event, this reinforces the need to visit.  Glad you guys had a good time.
Steve Pozaric

Mike Benham

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2007, 07:07:44 PM »
On the first hole at Bandon Dunes, with the rain coming down, I quickly put on the rain gloves and had trouble gripping the club for the simple reason that I don't normally wear a glove on either hand so it was literally a few years (during my 2004 Scotland trip) since I last had a glove on.

The second thing that I remembered was that my hands were going to be cold because of the rain but it never happened, my hands were fine the rest of the rain days ... but then again, I tried to avoid wearing a hat or beanie most of the days also so I might be the wrong person to ask ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

rjsimper

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2007, 08:29:48 PM »
Okay - sorry for the post 'n' run on my part, but I had a 9:10 at Rustic this morning that my feet could barely handle.

To all - thanks for the compliments on the shots...truly, the gods seemed to smile on us as most often we found the best weather on the most picturesque holes (and the entire afternoon on the Sheep Ranch was sunshine)

John C. - Prices in April 2006 were $130 for the first round, $65 for the replay, and I believe $205 for the Lily Pond (Cheapest) Rooms which accomodated 2 people (so 102.50/man)

Bandon, as I understand it, has tiered rates.  Summer is May-October, then November/April share a second tier rate, March is another tier as is February, and December/January are the low-season rate of $75/$40 for golf/replay.

I believe April has since gone up to $150/$75 for the 2007 season, but December - February remained the same as 2006.

Regarding cold hands, it was surprisingly not an issue.  Whether this was due to numbness or due to the fact that our hands are more hardy than we give them credit for, I was fine.  Mr. Hendren brought some hand warmers which he put to great use, but only on 2-3 occasions was I concerned about hand warmth.

Rain gloves are the saving grace in weather like this - if someone could invent a combo rain/winter glove, I suppose that would be ideal...but I honestly never saw the need.  I bought a pair of cart mittens (the kind with the pass-through hand holes) but never once used them.

peter_p

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2007, 08:34:52 PM »
Ryan,
Where do you draw the line between breezy and windy?

rjsimper

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2007, 08:41:11 PM »
Ryan,

Peter-
2 clubs is Breezy, 3 is windy in my book

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2007, 11:53:23 PM »
Okay - sorry for the post 'n' run on my part, but I had a 9:10 at Rustic this morning that my feet could barely handle.

Ryan,

1,000 holes the previous looooong weekend and then you still have a 9:10 the following Saturday?

I bow down to your golfing endurance - and your schedule!  ;D
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2007, 11:54:29 PM »
Ryan,

Peter-

And 4 clubs make me giddy  :D

Jfaspen

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2007, 08:21:22 AM »
The pictures from this thread + Ran's recent writeup on Trails has really inspired me to get out to Bandon..  If this group decides to do a similar trip next year, I'd be very interested in tagging along.

Great pictures and reviews Ryan.  

Jeff

PThomas

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2007, 09:14:40 AM »
Ryan,

Peter-

And 4 clubs make me giddy  :D

there was 4-club wind when I was there in July 2001 :o :'(
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2007, 10:14:55 AM »
Jeff,

There are a few of us kicking around some stuff behind the scenes to organize a trip next winter to Bandon.  There will be a thread out at some point to get more into specifics and see how much interest is there.

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2007, 10:06:12 PM »

Paul, the first time I went to Bandon, on our arrival day, we had an afternoon round at the original course that was short sleeves and short pants...the next morning it was sustained heavy wind with gusts that would knock you around...on #4 at Pacific (into the teeth), I hit a great drive (120 yds?), driver off the deck (killed it, 110 yds?), 3wood (low, boring into the wind...80 yds?)...best bogie I've ever carded...

My favorite however was hittting a crisp driver on #14 and coming well short of the green....at least it was better than one of my buddies who hit one into the sky and had to play his second from about 20 yards behind the teebox.  ;D

Our forecaddy was in great form..."I bet you've never played in weather like this before"...as soon as we greased his palm, he was grabbing for his own clubs to get out and have at it.

It's the only time i've been completely bone drenching soaked, and then completely dry 3 holes later....it was like playing in the spin cycle.  ;)

All is packed and ready for the morning getaway.  LET IT BLOW!

George_Bahto

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2007, 10:40:59 PM »
Ryan: needless to say you guys had a great time

your pictures and captions are truly a Bandon documentary - thank you for the thread

George Bahto
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

PThomas

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2007, 10:54:10 PM »

Paul, the first time I went to Bandon, on our arrival day, we had an afternoon round at the original course that was short sleeves and short pants...the next morning it was sustained heavy wind with gusts that would knock you around...on #4 at Pacific (into the teeth), I hit a great drive (120 yds?), driver off the deck (killed it, 110 yds?), 3wood (low, boring into the wind...80 yds?)...best bogie I've ever carded...

My favorite however was hittting a crisp driver on #14 and coming well short of the green....at least it was better than one of my buddies who hit one into the sky and had to play his second from about 20 yards behind the teebox.  ;D

Our forecaddy was in great form..."I bet you've never played in weather like this before"...as soon as we greased his palm, he was grabbing for his own clubs to get out and have at it.

It's the only time i've been completely bone drenching soaked, and then completely dry 3 holes later....it was like playing in the spin cycle.  ;)

All is packed and ready for the morning getaway.  LET IT BLOW!

now THAT's windy Jim!!!!!

Bandon is a truly special place...I can't wait to get back...maybe next winter?!?!?!?!?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2007, 10:34:47 AM »
Great pics and commentary.

At first (quick) glance, I thought Huck was doing something different in this pic.

The club does sort of blend into the background, what kind of shaft is in it? Thought he might have been playing hickories except for the shot of him swinging a driver that had a head the size of his head.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2007, 11:35:35 AM »
Excellent thread; the place's stock goes up everytime I see, or hear about it. Time for a pilgrimage.

The "not yet ready for primetime" cast must have made this trip all the better. They say playing thru bad weather builds character...
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back