News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Pallier

Compass Golf
« on: March 01, 2007, 09:27:47 PM »
The four P3's and P5's at NSWGC play virtually in all ends of the compass. Interesting point to note - they also do it also in order S-W-E-N.

How many courses that you know also have it's P3's and/or 5's routed in virtually all four compass points ?

Joe Hancock

Re:Compass Golf
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 09:45:11 PM »
Kevin,

I don't know of any other. I would think a great routing on a natural site would be very unlikely to be able to accomplish in that format. On a totally manufactured site one might be able to do it, but it still would be difficult. To make it a goal of the routing over other issues might be a mistake.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 09:01:48 AM »
Four of the five P3's play E (2), N (8), S (11) & W (17) in order at Glen Ridge. Hole # 4 plays SW.  All P5's play East and West.  E (3), E (6), W (12), and W (16).

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=qt3pgh8thk4j&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=7837725
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 12:34:23 PM »
Check World Atlas of Golf. It shows routings.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Andy Levett

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 05:53:30 PM »
Brora's proud of having a short hole face each cardinal point of the compass - despite it being an essentially out and back routing.
It's a terrific course but I can't see the designer, James Braid, setting out to do any clever tricks with the direction of the short holes.
He will have taken his xx guineas fee, picked out ideal green and tee sites and moved on.
Muirfield (which I haven't seen) is regarded as a classic example of boxing the compass but my previous home course had a similar routing - essentially a clockwise circular loop enclosing a counter-clockwise circular loop - but that (my old home course) is not a patch on my current course, which is essentially out and back.
All I'm saying is terrain and macro and micro design are more important than an idea like 'compass golf'.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 10:38:24 PM »
Brora's proud of having a short hole face each cardinal point of the compass - despite it being an essentially out and back routing......
All I'm saying is terrain and macro and micro design are more important than an idea like 'compass golf'.

Andy

What's wrong with the concept ? I dont suggest that all courses should employ the design feature but I must admit I find it particularly challenging and enjoyable at NSW for having such a routing. The same goes for Brora (which has one of the best P3 finishes I've seen).

Sanctuary Lakes in Vic - which like NSW has all it's P3's and 5's in opposite ends of the compass spectrum.

I think I've heard somewhere Littlestone has a similar design feature with it's P3's or at least the majority of them ?

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 07:02:06 AM »
The four P3's and P5's at NSWGC play virtually in all ends of the compass. Interesting point to note - they also do it also in order S-W-E-N.

How many courses that you know also have it's P3's and/or 5's routed in virtually all four compass points ?

It's worth mentioning that NSW par 3's & par 5's weren't compass in the original MacKenzie routing. Of the par 3's, the 2nd & the 6th didn't exist. Of the par 5's, the 5th & the 8th didn't exist. Eric Apperley was responsible for those holes & from what I have read, their design was not contrived, but happened quite naturally.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back