News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re:It takes some Majors to design a good golf course
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 12:17:23 PM »
Jack says stuff like that on a regular basis, because he really believes it.  He doesn't think I could possibly have designed a course like Sebonack on my own, although he hasn't seen any of my other work, so he wouldn't know.  

I'm sure he would label Pacific Dunes as "nice," which is about the most you are going to get out of him if it's not one of his own courses.  So what's the big deal?  He called Royal Melbourne "nice," too, and I'm happy to take comparisons with it.

Tom,

I think everyone on this site knows how ridiculous Jacks comments are, but what about the average owner who wants to build a course?  Sure you have guys like Mike Keiser who know better, but I seem him as the exception not the rule.  What has your experience been in working with them and what thier perception of who is qualified to build a great course?

On a related note, do you feel doing Sebonack with Jack was a plus and would you do it again?

George Pazin

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 12:34:49 PM »
Just makes you wonder how much better Cypress Point could have been....

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 04:02:46 PM »
Harry Colt was not a good golfer, I think.

As for being a Hacker, he hasnt been one since 8 so I am surprised Jack can remember his toughts on GCA over 50 years ago!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 04:03:52 PM by Matthew Hunt »

Philippe Binette

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2007, 05:02:40 PM »
I sometimes wonder how somebody who plays in the high 90's can really understand golf and therefore design a great golf course... but some people do achieve that

but there's multiple ways to learn to understand golf from every angle... caddying might be the best way to understand the game from different perspectives.

I'll probably never turn pro but the 2 or 3 rounds a year I caddy on the canadian or quebec tour has always helped me understand how the very best think their game

Kalen Braley

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 05:28:47 PM »
Well if you just build "carnival"-esque greens, then you don't have to worry about it. The greens will keep the big boys honest.

john_stiles

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2007, 05:34:01 PM »

What Would Jackie Do   then ?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2007, 05:42:04 PM »
Great point, how does Jack justify calling Jackies course great then. lol Jim Lipe is a very good golfer but not great by Jacks definition. hmmmm

George Pazin

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2007, 06:03:17 PM »
Nice point, Tiger.

I wonder if Pete Dye is great golfer, by Jack's definition....

And if not, I wonder if the big boys find The Ocean Course, Whistling Straits, etc., challenging....

I wonder if anyone would call Ross, Flynn, Wilson, etc., great golfers....

And I wonder if people listen to the things they say in press conferences and later cringe in embarassment.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Greg Tallman

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2007, 06:55:20 PM »
A few points...

1. I had not read the interview in its entirety but where does it say it required a "great" player to design courses? From the original post it says "a player" which coul be taken any number of ways... I would take it to mean anyone who has played at a high level... major amateur championships, tour level etcetera.

That would comfortably include Jackie and Gary not to mention a few of his staff members including Jim Lipe.

Again not saying I agree as I do not... just trying to put some other commnets into perspectve here. As usual there are those that go to the extreme when attacking Nicklaus.

2. Jack has never been short on quotes that are true head scratchers... add this to the list.

3. To insiniuate that any skill or trade cannot be learned is ridiculous... the artful part of design may be more inehrent but still able to be learned to some degree as virtually every golf course is some form of imitation at this stage.

4. I seem to recall an interview with Tom Doak a few year's back (not sure the publication) where he attacked player designers rather aggressively.

I was very put off when first reading the Doak interview but when taking the time to look at it from another view point found it nothing short of brillianty albeit perhaps a bit stronger than necessary. Whatever I believe it served its purpose.  

Two guys defending their turf with what they respectively believe to be the indisputable truth... and they collaborated on a very good course... Amazing.

Personally surprised to hear Jack make such a comment post Sebonack?! Tough to spin this one.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2007, 06:22:06 PM »
For all I know, what Gary meant was "Of the very few living souls on this entire planet who have won multiple major championships AND who now design golf courses, Jack is the best" - because that's the circle he runs in.
There is some competition from a fella named Crenshaw who is a member of that circle.

David Stamm

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2007, 07:56:18 PM »
...at least so says Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player on a conference call today to promote the Presidents Cup.

JACK NICKLAUS:  Well, first of all, let me thank Gary for a very nice compliment.
I think that being a player, I've always felt like it's very difficult if somebody  guys who design golf courses that are average players, and they say, "well, we can design just as good as anybody else," and I firmly don't believe that.  Do they design nice golf courses?  Sure, they can design nice golf courses.

Nice, but apparently not great courses.

Wonder where that leaves Tom Doak? Making "nice" courses?

Gary, kissing Jack's ass, said Nicklaus was the greatest designer in the game. I guess in comparison to Player's questionable efforts, that is probably true....

Jack made some similiar asinine comments during a tv show a while back. Considering the man could not carry Mackenzie's jock on his best day in regards to architecture makes this statement trigger thoughts on his sanity. He can't even match design wits with Doak, C&C or IMHO, Hanse all of whom he competes with. Let's not forget Flynn, whom I don't think was ever a champion golfer, who could've also designed him under the table. And what about Thomas? Seeing that Jack could never win at Riviera speaks volumes.

And let's also not forget that there are men in the past who only did one or very few courses that have clearly left a more memorable mark in the golf world than he, Crump at PV, Wilson at Merion? Jack, please, don't tarnish great memories I have of you and how I was introduced to the game, by watching the '86 Masters.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 07:56:55 PM by David Stamm »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2007, 08:41:51 PM »
How many opera houses has Pavarotti designed? How many movie theatres by Clint Eastwood. How many cricket grounds by Don Bradman? How many baseball fields by Mickey Mantle? I'll stop now.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back