News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan_Callahan

Re:Nicklaus wants tougher golf courses
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2007, 04:44:23 PM »
Jack's comments are kind of ironic when read opposite Ron Whitten's recent review of the Champions Course at PGA National. Seems Jack was brought in to make the course easier.

http://tinyurl.com/2e43ls

Ray Tennenbaum

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007, 05:17:43 PM »
mike,the next time you get a bad lie in the fairway without complaining will be when indursky and i go out to dinner.  we are spoiled. including me.  Jack has a local rule at the bear's club "a ball resting in a sanded divot may be treated as ground under repair"  He doesn't think it is fair to hit a good shot that lands in a divot.  He's spoiled, I am spoiled, we are all spoiled.  We all complain every single one of us about conditions and difficulty or lack there of a course

nobody in the history of golf complained more about "conditions" than Jack Nicklaus.  (well, probably anyway.)

David Stamm

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2007, 08:00:15 PM »
Jack, how about BETTER courses. Know what I mean?  ;)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Doug Siebert

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 01:33:47 AM »
Take another look at Nicklaus' quote. The 1% percent that you are referring to are the exact 1% percent that are moving on to the PGA Tour.

Just because junior golfers play in those match play events on their way to the PGA tour doesn't mean they are proficient or getting any real practice at match play versus European players who play many more match play events on their way to becoming pros.

I mean, someone has to win those American match play events.  If mostly Americans are playing in them, and Americans suck at match play, an American is still fairly likely to win.  It doesn't follow that he's good at match play just because he won some events.

Heck, look at Tiger.  He won plenty of match play events before he turned pro, but even he has a pretty lackluster match play record as a pro (which looks even worse when compared to what he's done in stroke play)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back