News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: Feherty
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2011, 11:33:55 PM »
I've praised and written favorably about Feherty many times over the years here on GCA.com.  I particularly liked his written but never followed up semi-serial of comic columns on 'Scrots Woods Club' and tales of the MacGregor clan.  I do think he has 'the gift' and it seems to be a very Irish thing to fight the devil in a bottle with wit and charm.  But, from my experiencial observations of this 'Irish thing', the sword of razor sharp wit is two sided and the dullard edge can be brandished as well.  A few folks have weighed in negatively on Feherty's real writing talent.  But I see DF in much the same way as I saw Frank McCort and his enormously funny and talented writing, with all the same demons effecting them in that too Irish sort of way whether it is self inflicted or put upon them by a family member.  Again, I have no basis of expertise, but my own life experiences does inform me that some sort of tragic-comedic, or bi-polar or manic depressive personality follows us around in a perverse haunting manner. 

I think he runs the risk of being overexposed.  The meat of his interviews was great on this recent series of his own show.  But, he needs an agent to tell him to back off the fart and scat jokes, and let his humor be the rare treat of infrequently offered treats, rather than the machine gun one liners and constant barrage like Robin Williams on Coke.  It seems like a formula for burn-out. 

I'm not nuts about his politics or adopted overt show of Nouveau Texan rightwingism and patriotism worn on his sleeve.  I'm reminded of the Samuel Johnson quotes.  But, I'm rooting for DF to have a continued good run.   His positives outweigh his negatives in my view and I look forward to his humorous and insightful take on many things.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2011, 11:55:28 PM »
Not to hijack the thread on Charlie Rymer and being funny but can anyone tell me why they think Feherty is amusing?

I have read some of his columns in one of the national golf magazines and have heard him on TV and thought most of his stuff was sophomoric at best. His constant use of of farting seems like a crutch to use, in being with it.

Bob,

Funny you mention this.

Just before you posted this I had tuned into the golf channel and was watching Feherty.

I was asking myself, why is he constantly trying to force his schtick on us ?.

Occassionally would be OK, but, constantly ?

I think the shelf life of that kind of constant presentation is rather limited and wears thin quicly.

But, as David Suskind said, there are no bad shows, just bad audiences, so we'll see if his schtick has any staying power.
If it does, consider yourself like me, a dinosaur in the sea of Nilson ratings

Thumbs up and stay well.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:35:36 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2011, 01:36:14 AM »
Now I understand why both Bob and Judge Levin have an affinity for Bill Murray.  Personally the only thing I found entertaining about him during the Crosby was that he took camera time away from Danny Gans.  Danny is gone now, so please someone tell me what is amusing about watching Bill Murray play golf.

This is the thing about golf, I would enjoy playing with Bill Murray but can not stand watching him play. 

John,

I have enjoyed playing with Bill Murray for something like the last seventeen years at the A.T and T. I don't think we have ever exchanged a joke or funny line in all that time. He is a fine player, articulate and sensitive to the needs of others and does wonders for the raising of funds for the charities of the Peninsula. I wish we could find a dozen more like him.

Bob

David Kelly

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2011, 01:54:21 AM »
Feherty seems to be trying way too hard.  I wonder if it is because of all of the time he has spent around comedy black hole Gary McCord?
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

astavrides

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2011, 04:59:51 AM »
Feherty seems to be trying way too hard.  I wonder if it is because of all of the time he has spent around comedy black hole Gary McCord?

name any golf broadcaster who is half as entertaining as McCord or Feherty

Jud_T

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
Johnny Miller is far and away the best and most entertaining golf announcer.  Those two are clowns.  McCord should have that ridiculous mustache bikini-waxed off on Augusta's twelfth green (whilst gagged), then he should be tossed into the pond, pantsed and thrown out with the trash.  His 15 minutes were up a decade ago.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

astavrides

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2011, 09:11:08 AM »
Johnny Miller is far and away the best and most entertaining golf announcer.  Those two are clowns.  McCord should have that ridiculous mustache bikini-waxed off on Augusta's twelfth green (whilst gagged), then he should be tossed into the pond, pantsed and thrown out with the trash.  His 15 minutes were up a decade ago.

ok, maybe entertaining was the wrong word since it can be defined in different ways. 

I guess I mean funny or witty.

Jud_T

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2011, 09:16:10 AM »
Peter Alliss has more wit in his fingernial clippings than those two combined.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim Martin

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2011, 09:19:12 AM »
McCord should have that ridiculous mustache bikini-waxed off on Augusta's twelfth green (whilst gagged), then he should be tossed into the pond, pantsed and thrown out with the trash.  His 15 minutes were up a decade ago.

+1

Brent Hutto

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2011, 09:26:22 AM »
Johnny Miller is funny because he's dead serious. Some of the best humor comes from taking a ridiculous situation, belief or activity and treating it seriously. Like Shivas and his position on the cheater line versus the long putter.

Clowning is a whole different thing than humor. I find clowning amusing in very, very small doses, very occasionally. Humor can last all day.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2011, 09:45:59 AM »
Now I understand why both Bob and Judge Levin have an affinity for Bill Murray.  Personally the only thing I found entertaining about him during the Crosby was that he took camera time away from Danny Gans.  Danny is gone now, so please someone tell me what is amusing about watching Bill Murray play golf.

This is the thing about golf, I would enjoy playing with Bill Murray but can not stand watching him play. 

John,

I have enjoyed playing with Bill Murray for something like the last seventeen years at the A.T and T. I don't think we have ever exchanged a joke or funny line in all that time. He is a fine player, articulate and sensitive to the needs of others and does wonders for the raising of funds for the charities of the Peninsula. I wish we could find a dozen more like him.

Bob

Bob,

I'm sure he doesn't wear his Elmer Fudd hat as your guest.  I will forever be indebted to Bill Murray for making Lost in Translation.  My boycott of all things Scottish has been made smoother through my discover of Suntory single malts.  http://www.suntory.com/yamazaki/main.html

Dan Kelly

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2011, 09:50:40 AM »
McCord should have that ridiculous mustache bikini-waxed off on Augusta's twelfth green (whilst gagged), then he should be tossed into the pond, pantsed and thrown out with the trash.  His 15 minutes were up a decade ago.

You're too kind.

Check out what happens to "him" in Rick Shefchik's "Amen Corner"!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

George Pazin

« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2011, 10:40:15 AM »
While I have not seen Bogey, I am less than impressed by the examples offered...save De Niro in Midnight Run. Travolta's funny in Get Shorty, but I can't say I think he is a serious actor.

Your instructions, sir:

1) Get a copy of "The African Queen." Watch it.

2) Get a copy of "Blow Out." Watch it. Then tell me you can't say Travolta is a serious actor.

I'll try to see The African Queen soon. I saw Blow Out, Travolta's solid. My comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek; believe it or not, I respect the acting ability of most actors, as I have zip zero nada when it comes to acting ability. Not that I think it's a talent worth having...

Chris D, you absolutely demolished my argument with your pick of Peter Falk, well done. Though his serious work often had a wry twist, he wasn't a comedian (at least not that I know of).

JK, thanks for the clarification.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 11:34:42 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

David Kelly

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2011, 10:53:16 AM »

Finding people half as entertaining as those two would be impossible.  You've got me there.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

PCCraig

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2011, 11:01:20 AM »

Nick Faldo for starters.

You can be entertaining without being a clown.
H.P.S.

astavrides

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2011, 11:37:30 AM »
Peter Alliss has more wit in his fingernial clippings than those two combined.

'had' maybe, not 'has'.  I'll concede that he was probably at least their equal, but he's not really on US tv anymore, except for a couple hours at the british open.

astavrides

« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2011, 11:42:11 AM »

Nick Faldo for starters.

You can be entertaining without being a clown.

ok, I'll give you Faldo as their equal as well, although he can be pretty clownish as well.   And although they are in no way in Faldo's league as far as golf swing expertise and the mental side of golf, I think they do have good knowledge of the game and make good insights.  after all Feherty was a Ryder cupper and McCord won the Senior Players one year.  not just clowns.

Jud_T

« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2011, 11:45:47 AM »
OK, clowns who could play....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2011, 12:25:06 PM »
I'm with Alex on this one....

I don't know of two more entertaining guys in golf....other than perhaps Peter Aliss.

P.S.  I can't think of any other golf show that has allowed us to get to know the men behind the clubs like Feherty's new show does.  I for one enjoying seeing the human side to these guys, not just the cliche ridden quickie 5 minute interviews you get in the Butler cabin or on one of NBCs "player profile" spots.

Hearing Bones and Fluff talk about their caddying experiences was insightful and very interesting.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2011, 02:29:46 PM »
I like them both. *shrugs*

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2011, 11:01:09 PM »
Bob, I think he is witty and quick from time to time, but without style and grace with a heavy dose of tacky more often. I have trouble watching him.

mike_beene

« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2011, 11:15:36 PM »
he lives around the corner but I don't know him.However,a friend of mine went with him to his citizenship swearing in and really likes him.I like his interviews.He has fought his demons but I hear nothing but good things about him from those that know him.Thought his Norman interview was good.He disarms with humor and genuine interest and gets away with some deep questions.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2011, 11:17:09 PM »
Funny is sooo in the eye of the beholder...even more than GCA...

Farting is not funny?? Don't tell one of the funniest writer-director/humans of all time (at least in my opinion)....

PThomas

« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2011, 11:35:30 PM »
I think his interviews are pretty good. The fart jokes and the segways between segments are a little annoying.

I have always liked Greg Norman, but the infomercial for him to sell his ranch for $50 mm is a little much:

http://www.sevenlakesranch.com/home.html

I wonder why he 's trying to sell?  cause of the 2 divorces?  the date of 2009 pops up on the site so apparently he's been trying to move it for awhile
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back