News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re:Courses that would most benefit from Cartpath-elimination
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2007, 03:12:32 PM »
Wayne:

Stonewall's Old course is indeed cart-free.  President Clinton was going to play there years ago with Governor Ridge until they told the Secret Service he wouldn't get an exemption on the cart policy.  As for a magic path surface, there are lots of recent innovations but nothing which has been found cost-effective so far.

As for Pebble Beach, the carts are limited to paths only for an entirely different reason than on other courses ... it's so you can't get your cart anywhere near the clifftops.

tlavin

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2007, 03:13:07 PM »
Every course would benefit and the older, smaller and tighter courses would probably benefit the most because cart paths are put into areas that are in play and definitely within the vision of the golfer, because they never designed the courses with paths in mind.

wsmorrison

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2007, 03:22:02 PM »
Tom,

I'm glad to see that the club did not alter its policies for Clinton or anyone else for that matter as the rules should apply equally to everyone.  If it was open for play, did he instead go over to play the new course at Stonewall?  

James Bennett

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 04:34:02 AM »
When watching on TV are you seeing the cartpaths from the air?

Mostly from the blimp shots, but it appears that the cart paths are continuous, so they appear in many of the broad camera shots.

Kevin

this is one image from Pebble Beach that I never expected to post.  Near #6 tee and #14 fairway, looking towards #8.

James B
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 04:34:26 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Karl Bernetich

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 12:22:43 PM »
Cart paths are important.  Otherwise how could the average drink cart girl find her way around the course.  ;)

I'm waiting for a cart girl to start driving her drink cart backwards ... because the club told her to drive the course in reverse.  But she's a looker ...

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 02:42:33 PM »
When watching on TV are you seeing the cartpaths from the air?

Mostly from the blimp shots, but it appears that the cart paths are continuous, so they appear in many of the broad camera shots.

Kevin

this is one image from Pebble Beach that I never expected to post.  Near #6 tee and #14 fairway, looking towards #8.

James B

Yikes!  A picture says a thousand words!

I started thinking about this the other night when I was doing some reading about the evolution of PB #7.  One picture in the PB history book noted that "By 1963, golf cart traffic was cutting into the turf and the bunkers had changed yet again, providing a little more putting area back right."
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2007, 07:27:17 PM »
The only saving grace is that, other than while riding a cart,  you wouldn't be viewing Pebble from that location.  I have played PB about 6-7 times and never from a cart.  I have never been in that location as after hitting tee shots on 6 you just walk down the centre of the fairway which is at least 30 yards to the right of where that shot was taken.

The only exception is if you really hit your tee shot on 14 left.

James Bennett

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2007, 08:20:02 PM »
Wayne Kozun

yes, you would be unlikely to play from that point.  I was walking in between the playing corridors when I took that photo.

If I was going to sing the praises of the cart paths, I would comment that despite the incredibly wet March and early April in 2006, Pebble Beach was in outstanding condition.  That would not be possible if carts were used and cart paths didn't exist (although the sand capped fairways down the road at the Shore Course (MPCC) were better again to play from).

It also helps with non-golfer traffic such as the maintenance machinery, and the ubiquitous cart-girl (although I don't think I saw one at Pebble.  Admittedly, I didn't play).

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

KBanks

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 10:16:56 AM »
In terms of precedent, all Scottish courses would benefit if the cartpaths at Gleneagles Monarch were eliminated.

Adam Sherer

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2007, 10:26:59 PM »
4 words:

The Seventh at Ekwanok
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2007, 12:08:39 AM »
4 words:

The Seventh at Ekwanok

Any better pics available?

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Eric Franzen

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2007, 01:32:01 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back