News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Joines

Old Tabby Links - Spring Island, SC (Pictures)
« on: February 20, 2007, 07:24:41 PM »
Hey Guys,

As my itch to play golf is getting close to unbearable, I felt now would be a good time to make some sort of contribution to GCA.com. I've had these pictures on my computer for a few months and it's time to share them.

The Old Tabby Links was designed by Arnold Palmer and is located on a private island near Hilton Head. A family member of mine purchased a house on the island and I've been fortunate enough to visit and play golf twice. Spring Island is a very special place and I'm sure all who've visited agree. It's a quiet, secluded island with some unbelievable scenery. The golf course is very enjoyable and quite a challenge with the green speeds I played on. There is water everywhere but there are still strategic options on most holes.

Here are a few pictures:

Hole #2 - Par 4
A relatively short par 4 with water all the way down the right. A lay-up off the tee is the safe play but with an aggressive drive you can cut off quite a bit of distance. Notice my ball in the 2nd picture.

Hole 4 - Par 5

This hole is a long par 5 with a 90 degree dogleg about 240 yards from the tee. This forces the player to hit a controlled draw around the corner or lay-up down the middle. The green is large and undulating, with water fronting right and left.
This is my brother teeing off here. We played from the "member's tees" this round but also played the deeper tees the following day.

Hole 6 - Par 3

Hole 9 - Par 5
This par 5 is nearly split in half by a lake. the green has atidal marsh backdrop, as shown here.

Hole 10 - Par 4
Medium length par 4 with a wide fairway for different angles of attack. You can see the approach from both sides the fairway in the 2nd and 3rd pictures.

Hole 14 - Par 4
This tee shot is uphill and the landing zone is blind to the player. There's a very cool green at the end of it, as well.

Hole 15 - Par 4
I believe this hole has alternate tees and fairways but I have not played the ones to the right. When I played it, it was a straight shot to an island green (plenty of room on it).

Hole 17 - Par 3
The "signature" hole on the course and it really is a beautiful hole. It's not an easy target to hit (0/4 for me!) and the putting doesn't get any easier.

Hole 18 - Par 4

Clubhouse

Hopefully this all works and if it takes up too much bandwidth, let me know so I can edit it down. Enjoy!

Also, you can see pictures from the rest of the course at www.springisland.com

« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 07:27:48 PM by Brian Joines »

Andy Troeger

Re:Old Tabby Links - Spring Island, SC (Pictures)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 09:36:14 PM »
Brian,
Thanks for posting. Kind of different to see so many pictures of a course in SC with no homes and no golfers other than in your group. How'd that happen?

Brian Joines

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 10:24:04 PM »
There are houses on the course but they are set a ways back from the course. Most houses are barely visibles from the course due to the thick foilage. I think that most members have their second homes on the island which explains the empty course. That does make it a lot different than the other courses I've played in SC.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 11:20:23 PM »
Brian,
Thanks for posting. Kind of different to see so many pictures of a course in SC with no homes and no golfers other than in your group. How'd that happen?
Brian - Thanks for posting the pixs of Old Tabby. It is an outstanding experience in a unique setting... very secluded. One of my favorites.

Andy - "Kind of different to see so many pictures of a course in SC with no homes and no golfers other than in your group." Because I live in SC this seems like a strange statement to me. Have you had much experience with SC golf outside of the resort areas?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 12:14:21 AM »
Spring Island is a very special palce.  Driving onto the island is like drivin into Jurasic Park.  The front nine is exceptional and the setting is without peer.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brian Joines

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 12:50:45 AM »
Brian,
Brian - Thanks for posting the pixs of Old Tabby. It is an outstanding experience in a unique setting... very secluded. One of my favorites.

Andy - "Kind of different to see so many pictures of a course in SC with no homes and no golfers other than in your group." Because I live in SC this seems like a strange statement to me. Have you had much experience with SC golf outside of the resort areas?

Michael,

I personally haven't had much experience outside of the resorts in SC. Old Tabby is the only private course that I've been fortunate enough to play in the area. I assume there are others that share these same characteristics. Hopefully, I'll get to see some of them on future trips because I really enjoyed Old Tabby.

michael j fay

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 07:34:26 AM »
By far the best of the Arnold Palmer courses I have played. I heard that Ernie Ransome was involved in the design. Any truth to that rumor?

Tim Copeland

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 10:32:31 AM »
Brian,

Maybe the Yankees went home?!?!
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

tlavin

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 11:21:51 AM »
I played Old Tabby a few years back and I absolutely loved it.  It is a relatively new (8 years or so) course, but it looked and felt like it had been there 50 years.  There were a total of 6 players on the course and the pro staff couldn't have been nicer.  A real treat, IMHO.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 11:23:08 AM »
Brian,

Maybe the Yankees went home?!?!

BINGO!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
Or there was NASCAR on TV

Andy Hughes

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 11:30:37 AM »
BINGO!

*sigh* (from a former SCer who is now a Yankee)

The tidal marsh pics remind me of courses like Callawassie that I haven't heard mentioned or seen of for many years.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 11:32:48 AM »
I played Old Tabby a few years back and I absolutely loved it.  It is a relatively new (8 years or so) course, but it looked and felt like it had been there 50 years.  There were a total of 6 players on the course and the pro staff couldn't have been nicer.  A real treat, IMHO.

Terry - Couldn't agree with you more about the staff. The head professional, Bill Sampson, is one of the finest people on the planet and the staff mirror his personality and style. And, what's interesting is that Old Tabby offers this unique one-of-a-kind experience without being pretentious. You never get the "we are something special and you are damn lucky to be here" feeling at Old Tabby. Everything and everyone is very comfortable and welcoming. I could easily retire there and be happy... my wife would go stir crazy, but I could love it.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 11:43:44 AM »

*sigh* (from a former SCer who is now a Yankee)

Once a SCer always a SCer!!! I was just a temporary yankee... trying to learn why so many real yankees wanted to move south.  ;D As the saying goes... I love visiting, but I wouldn't want to live there permanently. The winters just don't suit my lifestyle. My wife, on the other hand, would move to Manhattan full time in a heartbeat. As far as she is concerned, we can't spend too much time in NY. So, it's fun for me because I get to enjoy extended visits often, but always have my base in Dixie to return to. Nice!

david h. carroll

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 12:36:57 PM »
Andy Hughes--you have to go through Callawassie to get to Spring Island...there's no experience like Old Tabby and Spring Island and I don't think there's a place left in SC that has larger GATORS!!

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 12:46:19 PM »
Thanks so much for those photos.  I had to pass up on a trip down that way a few years ago.  I heard that Old Tabby was the best work by the Palmer Groupand your photos make me want to schedule a trip.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 02:49:46 PM »
Ditto all these comments, most especially thanks for posting the pictures.  I've heard nothing but great things about the island and course, glad to hear many others feel the same way.  

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 02:56:09 PM »
Thanks so much for those photos.  I had to pass up on a trip down that way a few years ago.  I heard that Old Tabby was the best work by the Palmer Groupand your photos make me want to schedule a trip.

Geoffrey - You have a standing invitation... come on down anytime and I'll take you on a tour. It won't be as exciting as our trek through the Bronx, but you won't have to lock your car doors.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 03:23:12 PM »

Geoffrey - You have a standing invitation... come on down anytime and I'll take you on a tour. It won't be as exciting as our trek through the Bronx, but you won't have to lock your car doors.

Michael

Thanks.  I hope I can take you up on it.  If this place has the biggest GATORS in South Carolina then this city boy disagrees with your excite monitor and I want a cart with locks on it  ;D

Brent Hutto

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 03:32:01 PM »
A few observations about our alligators down here...

1) They're more scared of you than you are of them

2) Alligator tastes just like chicken

3) You taste just like chicken

So it's really a matter of who's the bigger chicken.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 03:34:57 PM »
lol..good one.

Never had alligator, but I have tried salt water crocodile and I can confirm it does taste like chicken, although the meat is a bit more fatty than chicken.

Brian Joines

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 03:38:29 PM »
Since there is all this gator talk, I will post a picture of one of the bigger ones we saw on the course.

He's currently patrolling the lake on Hole #9 at Old Tabby

Andy Hughes

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 04:41:11 PM »
Once a SCer always a SCer!!! I was just a temporary yankee... trying to learn why so many real yankees wanted to move south.   As the saying goes... I love visiting, but I wouldn't want to live there permanently. The winters just don't suit my lifestyle. My wife, on the other hand, would move to Manhattan full time in a heartbeat. As far as she is concerned, we can't spend too much time in NY. So, it's fun for me because I get to enjoy extended visits often, but always have my base in Dixie to return to. Nice!

Michael, yeah, you did it the smart way, and I clearly chose poorly weather-wise(in DC)  
Please don't tell me I was outsmarted by a Clemson Tiger? That would be more than I could bear  ;)  

David, that's interesting-I guess that's why the scenery looks so similar....but isn't Callawassie a private island?  Its been 18-19 years or so but that was my recollection.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 05:52:20 PM »
Michael, yeah, you did it the smart way, and I clearly chose poorly weather-wise(in DC)  
Please don't tell me I was outsmarted by a Clemson Tiger? That would be more than I could bear  ;)  

Sorry! And a lefty, too!!!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 05:56:13 PM »
If this place has the biggest GATORS in South Carolina then this city boy disagrees with your excite monitor and I want a cart with locks on it  ;D

YOU don't have to worry about the gators - you don't encounter them in the MIDDLE of the fairway! It's only the "sprayers" like me that have to keep an eye out.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back