News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

February Fight Night St. Enodoc V Burnham
« on: February 08, 2007, 03:52:35 PM »
St. Enodoc is featured again this month after its surprise upset against Pennard in January.  Despite the clamouring from the cheap seats, Pennard's victory stands.  This month pits what I consider the perennial underdog and under-appreciated, Burnham, against an English Tour de Force, St. Enodoc.

StE          B&B

#1:Tough call here, both openers are very good.  The tee shot at B&B is classic risk/reward; does one stick left for a view of the green or bail to the wide side and a blind approach?  The swale to the right of the green magic!  However, StE's is a par 5 and good par 5s are hard to come by so I give it the edge.
           10           9

#2:Another tough call, both holes are excellent.  On the surface it may seem like StE's blows B&B's away, but a closer look reveals a different story.  B&B has a very cool dip in the fairway maybe 175 from the green.  Much like on Pennard's 7th hole, if you can drive it past this spot the approach is much easier.  If you take the dip on and are just just the approach is blind.  The green is also excellent and difficult to approach unless down the drive is down the middle.  Still, StE's 2nd is without a doubt world class.  The way it shapes around the dune to a slightly raised green is sublime.
             10           9

#3: There aren't many courses B&B falls behind to in the opening holes, but there you have it.  This is another tough decision.  Both holes are funky.  B&B's is a lovely old fashioned punchbowl with the added touch of a false front bowl - unique in my experience.  StE's is a blind drive over a hill and it turns left just about where a good three wood would finish - instead a lane is there to greet you.  Because B&B has the superior option off the tee: either carrying the crap on the left or playing right then having to approach over a dune, it is my winner.
              9             10

#4: Again, B&B offers an option off the tee, cut the corner right and reach this short par 5 or play safe the left?  However, StE's 4th also offers options of going for the green nestled uphill under a wall or laying up short right.  Good short 2 shotters are hard to come by, StE is the clear winner here.
               10            8

#5: A matchup of par 3s and both are good and of about the same length - 150ish.  Any course would be happy to have either hole - first round with no blood.
               10           10

#6: I don't think the hole is all that great, but the Himalaya Bunker is one for the ages.  
               9               8

#7: I will get roasted by those who don't know B&B very well, but I think their 7th is a wonderful hole.  There is a ridge which runs nearly the entire length of the fairway up to and through the green.  This slight landform is the main feature and it represents completely the idea of "less is better".  While StE's is a good hole with a good green, it is no match for Burnham's unsung beauty!
              9                10

#8: Neither hole has that much to brag about.  StE's is a short par 3 surrounded by bunkers.  Very difficult to hold downwind - it is no secret I am not a fan.  However, B&B's 8th is on bogish type land.  The utilization of an old tee means the drive musy carry a creek diagonally (another drive of choice) and the approach to the green sitting 10 feet above the fairway is fun.  Slight edge to B&B
             8                  9

#9: There isn't much to say here.  B&B's 9th is practically the definition of a great par 3.  One can fly it or run on up.  You can use contours in combination with wind to sneak up on the pin.  StE's 9th is good, but nothing to write home about.
             9                   10

#10: A couple of funky holes if ever there were.  StE's is a crazy hard legger to the left with a massive dune about 200 from the tee squeezing the fairway into a creek.  To bring out the driver here is madness!  However, the layup is rewarded with a very tough slinging 3 wood round the corner.  This is one of the most exciting shots on the course.  Everybody who visits StE should give this shot a go.  On the basis of this alone StE is the winner of this round without breaking a sweat.
            10                    8

#11: I think this is another of those very under-rated holes at Burnham.  The drive is flat, almost featureless to an excellent long green defended by a hump on the left and a bunker right.  St.E's is rather a blah 1 shotter -- though the hedge is a clever enhancement to trick the golfer into thinking the hole calls for a draw.  
            8                      9

#12: One of the very best holes at Burnham.  StE's is very good as well, but much like the matchup of the 2nd hole, one is the winner and B&B's is it.  The hole gradually rises and turns right past the church.  No matter how good the drive is, the approach is hard.  The swale in the front and right are divine.  StE's green is terrific, but not enough to compete.
            9                     10

#13: Another cracking hole at Burnham and it easily beats StE's 13th (the worst hole of both courses).  B&B's is a legger to the left and it narrows for the second to a long green with a sharp falloff to shiza on the right.  A great short par 5.  StE takes a standing 8 count!
            7                     10

#14: Burnham continues its relentless march of excellent holes.  A superb par 3 which rises to the side of a dune and falls away drastically to the front and left.  A very tough target!  However, StE's counters with a crafty little sidehill par 4 with a devilish approach.  I think the edge goes to StE
          10                    9

#15: Another great par 4 at Burnham.  A blind drive in which a dip on the right of the fairway needs to be carried for the best angle.  Of course, failure to do so results in a blind approach.  Either way, the green is tucked behind a huge dune on left.  One can't go over the top and hold the ball well unless they can really play.  A draw from the right is the best approach.  StE's is a sevicable par 3.  There is a tricky sidewind which needs attention, but this hole is no match for Burnham.  Anothger standing 8 count!
        10                     8

#16: Finally, Burnham relents with a breather, though the green is very good.  StE's is an excellent par 5, somewhat similar to the 1st, but this is a minor criticism.
         8                     10

#17: Burnham is back on the attack with another terrific par 3.  There is nothing to do but carry this green some 190 yards away because of a large hollow fronting the green.  However, StE's is a terrific par 3 as well.  It is too difficult to choose the best - call it a draw.
        10                   10

#18: StE continues the strong finish with a down and up hole.  Though to be honest, it is easier than it appears.  B&B's on the other hand sort of like StE's 10th.  It turns hard left and it is VERY easy to run out of room on the right and get hung up on a bank.  Trying to carry the blind massive kitchen sink to the left is very diffcult.  There is nothing to do but shape the shot or layup!  The approach is still quite long, usually in the 200 yard range, to a flat green which reminds me of Woodhall.  You know which way I am going as I nearly always vote for funk!
         9                    10

164                   167

I am not surprised by the result because people rarely take the time to learn B&B.  However, despite the result, I would rather play St Enodoc because of its location and beauty.  These are intangibles such as beauty * location which Burnham can't hope to match.  It just goes to show that architecture isn't everything when it comes golf.  

Ciao

« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 07:08:51 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

RJ_Daley

Re:February Fight Night St. Enodoc V Burnham
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 04:20:13 PM »
Sean, nice see-saw fight.  I'm glad you are keeping up the "fight night" tradition.  I miss spunky old Jim Reilly, but you are doing a fine job.  

I hope you keep the scripts of the fight night series available in a word file.  I think that for anyone (like me) who hasn't yet had the pleasure of spending time in GB&I, and wishes to have a research source to help in selections for possible places to play, the FN narratives could be invaluable.

Now, if we can get Gillette to sponsor your efforts, and a few good cut men in the corners, and Don Dunphy to do the ringside call, we will really be in business. ;D

Everyone is looking for a rating system.  Michilein, Doak scale, magazine top lists... well a grand fight night tournament is as good as anything else out there, I think. ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 04:28:05 PM »
Yikes, my last post has just caused a minor spark of an idea for a grand "fight night" system, that could be a new feature button on GCA.com.  I haven't been drinking anything stronger than coffee yet, but it might require a new thread.  I don't want to hijack this one, but I hope you weigh in when I get it sketched out, Sean.  ;)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Noel Freeman

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
Sean, nice see-saw fight.  I'm glad you are keeping up the "fight night" tradition.  I miss spunky old Jim Reilly, but you are doing a fine job.  

I hope you keep the scripts of the fight night series available in a word file.  I think that for anyone (like me) who hasn't yet had the pleasure of spending time in GB&I, and wishes to have a research source to help in selections for possible places to play, the FN narratives could be invaluable.

Now, if we can get Gillette to sponsor your efforts, and a few good cut men in the corners, and Don Dunphy to do the ringside call, we will really be in business. ;D

Everyone is looking for a rating system.  Michilein, Doak scale, magazine top lists... well a grand fight night tournament is as good as anything else out there, I think. ;) ;D 8)

RJ-- I spoke to Jim Reilly two days ago...

Happy as can be.. Living with his uber tall and 10 years his junior Dutch galpal in Tamorindo, Costa Rica

Working in some real estate ventures, but otherwise surfing, playing golf on a Mike Young course a few times a week (in under 3 hrs) or whenever it strikes his fancy..

He is completely relaxed... He was always a relaxed person but he truly seems happy and will never go back to the rat race..  There is plenty of land for golf courses down there and he tells me the town he lives in is the Palm Beach of Costa Rica- There is a 4 seasons, Hyatt, Marriott all down there.. plus an Intl airport 45 mins away..

That said, his interest in GCA has waned although he is playing quite well..  Jim just doesnt care much about anything but having a good time now...

Ed Tilley

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 07:10:45 AM »
St. Enodoc is featured again this month after its surprise upset against Pennard in January.  Despite the clamouring from the cheap seats, Pennard's victory stands.  

Sean,

Your stubborn support for Pennard in the face of unanimous opposition reminds me of the old Blackadder quote:

'Opinion is divided on the matter - I say it is, everyone else says it isn't'

Having only played Burnham once, some years ago, I can't really comment on your scoring. I am going down to both courses this summer and I will revisit this thread then. However, I will say that I have always thought that Burnham was a level below St. Enodoc.

Ed

Richard Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
As I've never played St Enedoc I couldn't comment on this contest, apart from ST E must be a lovely course as I thought B&B was a  fantastic course on my visit there 2 years ago and am always amazed it doesn't get more praise.
Sean, as the unofficial GCA Don King, could you arrange for a matchup between B&B and Saunton East.
My feeling is that you would award the contest to B&B, but I would be interested to see why.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 09:59:23 AM »
Why a 8 to 10 score on #16?

Thanks for great write up!

Any possibility of adding images? Maybe Mr. Pont or others could contribute.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back