News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re:Signs on Golf Courses
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 12:46:17 PM »
There was a vogue in the UK for such teemarkers some years ago even if the course didn't need explanation.  I think they fell out of favour when vandals started nicking them.  

It's not quite the same thing, but when it was decided to re-introduce names for the holes at Hartlepool it was decided not to put the names on the tee markers as this would attract vandalism.  The names were printed on the scorecard, however.  I'm afraid vandalism on golf courses is rife in or near many of our bigger cities.  There was a fashion for driving stolen cars onto greens and setting fire to them a few years ago.  Most city clubs have to bring in flag sticks and rakes at the end of play, even benches, ball cleaners and so on.  There is increasing theft of a player's clubs and bag actually while they are out on the course.  The thieves are also usually getting away with car keys, credit cards etc.  There was a run of these thefts from the 8th tee at Wilmslow a few years ago.  There was a lay-by on a minor road close to the tee, but hidden from it by trees.  The thieves would lurk there in a van, spring on the next four-ball that came past, take their possessions and by the time the players had made the 500+ yards back to the clubhouse to raise the alarm the thieves were already several miles away and about to strike elsewhere.  But, then, the crime statistics for Europe which were published the other day showed the UK to be the worst country in Europe, so it should not surprise us.  

Hmmm...sounds familiar. This sounds like a little 9 hole golf course in San Fran that I can't remember the name of for the life of me...   ::) ::) ::)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 12:55:30 PM »
Tom

Here is the famous Bethpage Black sign:

I suggested that the pro shop sell replicas.

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

rjsimper

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 01:12:48 PM »
I Find It Interesting That All Words On This Sign Are Capitalized

John Keenan

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 01:16:06 PM »
Kalen

would that be Fleming by chance   ;D

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 05:21:33 PM »
My favorite sign isn't actually on the golf course, although I wish it were at every first tee.  It is located in the proshop at Taconic and says "No Preferred Lies, We Play Golf Here."   Does anyone have a photo of this classic?

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2007, 05:37:09 PM »
I'd hate to play on this course.  Whats the penalty for failing to break 90 or 100?

rjsimper

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2007, 05:38:14 PM »
Jim,
As you can likely tell from my avatar, I've played many a match at Taconic.  I always found it funny on days we played tournaments post-rain where we were given lift, clean, and place.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 05:39:38 PM by Ryan Simper »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007, 05:52:36 PM »
Bodega Bay eh? Sea gulls make ya nervous?

Eagle Ridge [KY] is a great course that you will definitely play better the second time. There is a lot to learn. They used to have a handout with some advice about a few holes, but I think they found people preferred to find out for themselves. Bet it cost them some ProV's though.

Doug

Jim Thompson

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 08:02:17 PM »
Ryan,

I hear ya!  I can't stand that rule, is the ball plugged or not? If it is, there's a rule for that.  If it isn't, hit it.  Right up there with the local rule for removing stones from bunkers n my book.  Drives me nuts.

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2007, 01:37:34 AM »
The best sign I've ever seen, by a mile, was at NM State in Las Cruces.....a long time ago. Believe it read "shirts and shoes required on 1st & 10th holes"...if anyone has a photo of this please put it up!
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Bill Gayne

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2007, 08:03:46 PM »
I just came across this sign on the Hidden Links Golf website.

scott_wood

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2007, 08:19:21 AM »
Ryan, maybe it was "the times", maybe your coaches wanted lower scores, but I can attest that the Club ( as opposed to the College)  plays it according to "the Rules"....

torential rains in the fall 2 ball Invitaitonal 2 years ago, and nary a word  re "lift,clean,place"....but lots of stories after.....

Mickey Boland

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2007, 12:34:33 AM »
A couple from Scotland.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 12:35:23 AM by Mickey Boland »

rjsimper

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2007, 09:59:57 AM »
Ryan, maybe it was "the times", maybe your coaches wanted lower scores, but I can attest that the Club ( as opposed to the College)  plays it according to "the Rules"....

torential rains in the fall 2 ball Invitaitonal 2 years ago, and nary a word  re "lift,clean,place"....but lots of stories after.....

I can imagine - I always found that even with LCP in tournaments, by the 4th or 5th hole I found myself playing the ball down simply because taking the time to LCP took me out of my routine and rhythm.  Just walk up to it, line up, and whack it....never really noticed a significant difference unless I found myself with a clump of mud or in some unfortunate lie.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back