News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Sutton Bay
« on: February 06, 2007, 08:54:50 AM »
What part of South Dakota is Sutton Bay located? How far is it from Minneapolis?
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

Re:Sutton Bay
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 09:09:16 AM »
Thanks for the help ;), it is near Pierre.
Mr Hurricane

Guy Phelan

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 09:21:41 AM »
You are welcome!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 09:37:02 AM »
Jim,

It took me about 4 hours from Sioux Falls each way.

It's worth the drive.  

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 09:52:58 AM »
Jim --

Dan Kelly and I have driven out there twice from the Twin Cities. It takes about six hours one way.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Brad Klein

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 10:15:41 AM »
Exactly 35 minutes north of Pierre Airport by car. It's not a drive I'd make at night.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 10:24:29 AM »
Exactly 35 minutes north of Pierre Airport by car. It's not a drive I'd make at night.

Good point.

I reached the interstate at nightfall, was driving alone, and managed to hit a huge truck tire retread laying in the middle of the highway.  Luckily, I didn't have any damage to the rental that prevented me from continuing.

Most of the drive is also stick-straight and if you're not used to it, can lead to the ol' highway hypnosis.  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 10:25:21 AM by MPCirba »

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 10:35:55 AM »
Ah, you guys haven't lived until you've dodged the deer and the pheasants on U.S. 212 through Watertown, Clark, Doland, Redfield, Faulkton and Gettysburg (Triva quiz: what is the nickname of the Gettysburg high school athletic teams?)

It's a desolate drive, especially when there was only one song on my 15,000-song iPod that Dan Kelly really liked (something by the Mavericks, but I forget which one.) The vintage "Lone Ranger" episode was pretty funny, though -- the masked man and the Indian really seemed to like teenage boys...  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 10:36:28 AM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 10:38:43 AM »
(Triva quiz: what is the nickname of the Gettysburg high school athletic teams?)

My guess was gonna be "Scorers" (you know, four score....)

But the real name is better.  It took all of 10 seconds at most to find via a search.

BATTLERS

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 10:42:50 AM »
Correct, sir.

Dan and I thought Generals would have been better...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 10:44:30 AM »
Correct, sir.

Dan and I thought Generals would have been better...

That's a good one also.  How about Little Round Toppers?

;D

Phil McDade

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 10:54:29 AM »
Ah, you guys haven't lived until you've dodged the deer and the pheasants on U.S. 212 through Watertown, Clark, Doland, Redfield, Faulkton and Gettysburg (Triva quiz: what is the nickname of the Gettysburg high school athletic teams?)

It's a desolate drive, especially when there was only one song on my 15,000-song iPod that Dan Kelly really liked (something by the Mavericks, but I forget which one.) The vintage "Lone Ranger" episode was pretty funny, though -- the masked man and the Indian really seemed to like teenage boys...  

Rick:

You forgot Norwood Young America, Hector, Bird Island, Sacred Heart and other highlights of the sugarbeet belt!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 10:58:05 AM »
Rick,

If I hear that you and Mr. Kelly were as close to me as Gettysburg without providing some advance notice I'm going to be upset.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 11:02:30 AM »
Mike,

We make our annual trek either the last weekend of September or the first weekend of October. I didn't know you were anywhere near Gettysburg (we are talking about the one in SD, right?) but we're always beating the bushes for more players to join us. If Dan knew you were in any reasonable proximity to Sutton Bay, he would have offered to come and pick you up on our way out there.

Any chance you can make it this fall?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 11:06:06 AM »
Rick,

Duh...I was thinking Gettysburg, PA, which is about 2 hours from me.   :P

I do get out to Sioux Falls for business, so I'll be sure to let you both know the next time I'm there.   I expect it to be in the spring.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 02:23:26 PM »
we're always beating the bushes for more players to join us.

Rick,

I live in Winnipeg, only about an hours longer drive to Sutton Bay than Minneapolis. I've make the trek once before, and am always itching to get back, unfortunately most of my golfing friends do not seem to be too enthusiastic about making such golf ventures. Keep me in mind come the fall, I would enjoy meeting some new GCA members.

TK

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 02:43:02 PM »
Ah, you guys haven't lived until you've dodged the deer and the pheasants on U.S. 212 through Watertown, Clark, Doland, Redfield, Faulkton and Gettysburg ...

I can understand dodging deer, but why dodge the pheasants? They make good road kill eating.
 ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 02:43:42 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Szabo

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 02:43:31 PM »
Tyler,

Anyone with access to Sutton Bay who turns it down should be shot on the spot!

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 03:04:56 PM »
Tyler,

We'd love to have you join us next fall. The trip is always dependant on an invitation from Mark Amundson, but assuming we're welcome back again this year, we'll definitely keep you updated.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back