News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_Tully

SFGC 1928 routing
« on: February 04, 2007, 12:23:46 PM »
In my research I have come across a map of SFGC that shows the layout of the holes in 1928. The map was given out to the members for them to assess some land purchases that would protect the sanctity of the golf course from the city. Not only is this a great example of a club looking into the future and preparing for it, but they also helped me shed some light on the clubs history.

When I first looked at the map I was confused as the holes were in the right spots but, the numbering was different. After regaining my composure, I recognized that it was just a simple switching of the nines. I have photos of the course over a period of time and had not seen any reference to this, so I can't say how long this happened. In the letter that came with the map there was no mention of a routing change or any differences.

My question is what are some thoughts on playing the course in this manner? Could it be better? Obviously it did not stay that way for long, but it warrants some discussion.

Tully

Rob_Waldron

Re:SFGC 1928 routing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 12:54:33 PM »
Sean

Is there any way for you to post your historical photos of SFGC.

I played there this fall and was told the club recently completed a renovation back to the "original" layout which had been altered in an effort to accomodate a proposed highway exit. The exit was never built so the membership restored the routing.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 03:12:07 PM »
Sean:

My general feeling is that if you take the same 18 holes and just change the order, there isn't much difference in the quality of the overall course, unless you are thereby making the course much harder or much easier to walk.

In that vein, playing the front nine last at SFGC would mean you'd be climbing out of the valley from the Duel green right at the end of the round.  I've always felt the front nine was a bit more dramatic, but it's harder to walk so I don't think you'd want to save that for the end.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 04:00:27 PM »
Sean -

Do you know if it is true that SFGC once owned all the land down to Brotherhood Way and has sold it off over the years?

Richmond CC is another club that owns a lot of land well beyond the perimeter of its golf course.

DT

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 11:44:18 PM »
I prefer the current routing.  When I played there a few months ago I played the back nine first and didn't feel the course flowed as well.  My favorite holes on the back are 10 and 12 (In this case 1 and 3) so it left a long time before it became interesting.

Sean_Tully

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 06:29:56 PM »
Rob,

To corrrect your post above...
The work was done after the ramp was built. I have a photo that cleary shows it being built and the original routing was still intact. What you can see is that with any amount of traffic would have made a defintate impact on the gof course.

Tom

Good point on the end of a routing as I just played Greenhills the other day and that finish at 17&18 almost finished me off!

David,
I would not know about that. It is interesting to note that the club was very forward thinking in buying the land around the club to protect themselves from an evergrowing city. I found some old financial statements for the club and it was interesting to see the value of the land go up in the early years. I could not imagine how much the value of that property would be today!

Tully

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 06:38:18 PM »
Sean; not to change the subject too much, but what information do you have on the original routing of Green Hills? I've been told a number of things, but never looked into it. Things like "the 7th was changed to put the goofy parking lot in".

Also, no response as of yet from the Dana Point historical society.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Sean_Tully

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 06:50:38 PM »
Jon,
No worries, the changes that I am aware of are as you say regarding the 7th and 8th. They were flip flopped to make room for more parking. 7th was a Par 4 and the 8th was a par 3--now it is the opposite. The 16 th green was moved past the lake that fronts the green to the left. The lake was the original position of the green. Other changes were made to some greens and  most of the bunkers were basically filled in  during the depression/WW11. They have a nice history book that shows some early photos of the course along with some aerials as well. I only just recently started looking at the course so I am not familiar with all the changes.

Will be done in LA in a couple of weeks and may try to go through the Dana Point info if I can get away.

Tully
Tully

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back