News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Birkert

Hello and changes at Sunningdale
« on: February 04, 2007, 01:39:28 PM »
Hello one and all...

Firstly please be sympathetic as this is my first post! I thought I should initially stick to a subject which I at least have a passing knowledge of, namely Sunningdale. I played my first round of the year there today, and there are changes underway. The 3rd of the Old is being changed to make the approach to the green far narrower, the bunkers are being enlarged and now the approach for a player trying to drive the green will be significantly more risky. The visuals look impressive and I think it will be a welcome addition.

Additionally, the 18th of the New is being altered (there has been much work done on the New recently), with a new tee coming into play and remodelling of the bunkers around the green, with the idea to make it a harder hole (it is currently an easy par 5) and a fitting climax to the course. There are also other minor changes ongoing, mainly to bunkers, on both courses.

Given the time of the year the course is in great condition, and the works aren't scheduled to take too long to complete (thankfully!).

I will shut up now, but look forward to learning and contributing further in due course!

Paul_Turner

Re:Hello and changes at Sunningdale
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 01:43:36 PM »
Hi Tom

Welcome, and interesting first post.

Can you tell us any more details on how they are changing both courses?

Are they felling any trees and bringing back the heath?

The 3rd on the Old is a classic hole, surprised they are changing it!  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 01:43:59 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 01:49:19 PM »
Great! Please tell me the 5th is going to be looking like this:

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 01:54:05 PM »
Tom,

You've only posted once. It's not too late. Run. Run far away.

Welcome aboard the good ship Dark Side.

Now about these changes:

2) Is the club working off old plans?

C) Is there an architect involved?

V.) Is this part of a larger renovation/restoration?

iii) Are there any good 9-holers in the area?

Anthony

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 02:20:05 PM »
It will look just like that Tommy!  Providing you immerse your picture in Sherwood Forest.  Sunningdale Old may be may favorite English course, but I doubt you'll be seeing the 5th treeless...

I still love the story about those simple round bunkers on eighteen.  They were put in by neophite architects in the Luftwaffe...(they were bomb craters from misguided German bombers that the club simply later filled with sand).

JC

Guy Phelan

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 02:57:04 PM »
Tom,

It is so very nice to have another "Newbie" to share the thoughts! Thanks for the contribution here on one of my favorite golf courses! Even though I have not played it since 1993.

I am interested to know who, if anyone they are using to male the alterations?

All the best,
Guy

P.S. If you are really smart, you will turn off GCA right now and ban the website from your computer!

Tom Birkert

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 05:07:51 PM »
Thank you for the replies... I'll try and answer the various questions to the best of my knowledge, and will find out further details in due course.

Firstly they have cleared a significant numbers of trees on the New, with the idea being to introduce more heather (my wrists don't like that!). For instance the 6th green is now visible from the tee, whereas before there were many trees which interrupted the view. And although the 5th doesn't look like that picture, the majority of the trees to the left of the green have been removed.

Several architects submitted plans to the Committee, I don't know off the top of my head the name of the person employed, I will get his name next week when I'm down there.

The 3rd of the Old really was a bit too easy, especially in Summer. The extending of the bunkers will make it more challenging but it's nothing out of character with the bunkers that were there before. I think it will make it a better hole, and bring back some strategy off the tee - previously it was driver and you'd be up near the green, now unless you are very accurate you will be looking at a 30/40 yard bunker shot for your approach, which is a better risk / reward proposition.

Thank you for your replies!

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 05:21:08 PM »
welcome Tom!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 05:21:10 PM »
Welcome Tom, please ignore the warnings above, it's too late you've made the great leap and a part of you is now forever trapped insdie the internet!

When I played last August the bunker in front of 5 on the New had collapsed on itself due to heavy rains.  It would be great to see some photo's of al the work.

PS do you know Richard Russell and if so please try and tempt him to join the dark side?  My Baby Got the Yips is a great account of grwoing up around Sunningdale and so much else that's good and funny about golf.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jon Earl

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 04:41:37 AM »
Tom

Welcome. Nice to have another newbie from the South of England.

Tony

Totally agree about 'My Baby Got The Yips'. The chapter about club throwing (especially the sections about Tommy Bolt & Lefty Stackhouse) is one of the funniest things I have ever read. Isn't Mr Rusell a member at Rye now?

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 04:43:33 AM by Jon Earl »
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

Mike Policano

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 08:42:41 AM »
Tom,

Is the bunker on the left side of the green on the 6th on the New one of those "designed" by a WW II bomb?

Tom Birkert

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 04:42:42 PM »
Thank you for the heads up about the book - I do not know the person in question but I will get on the trail of the book as I am always looking to expand my library!

The bunker to the left of 6 of the New is actually being deepened, but as far as I'm aware it was not originated by our German friends...

We suffered a freak thunderstorm in August which caused a lot of damage, thankfully nothing too dramatic in the long term and the bunker fronting the 5th is now fine.

My camera is broken at the moment so I shall try and take soem pictures in the future once it is fixed!

Edit: The architect chosen for to make the changes to the 3rd Old and 18th New is Martin Hawtree.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 12:29:07 PM by Tom Birkert »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back