News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Re:Degradation of a hole
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2007, 09:54:29 PM »
Looking at the photo circa 1930 is interesting.

Given the location of the golf course, how much of a factor is the wind today, and how much of a factor was it in the 50's and 30's ?

Virtually no impact with wind except a few odd days per year.  The Lake course sits down and isn't impacted like our other course the Ocean Course.

Don:
I'm not trying to do anything here but I get your drift.  I spent my time on the green committee and acomplished very little.  This is a very big club with very big political ties.

Tully:  What happened to the photo?

Sean_Tully

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 10:10:22 AM »
Now having seen the photo that Jon McCord took just the other day, I will have to find my photo from the tee from 1926. If I can get to it tonight I will post it. Anyway here is Jon's picture...

Ok, so here is the photo. Quite a bit of difference, most obvious is the front bunkers shallowness and the other bunkers showing up on the shoulders. Still has a daunting apperance from the tee, but not as gripping as the current version.

Tully
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 12:33:14 AM by Sean_Tully »

Sean_Tully

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2007, 12:36:26 AM »
Anyone else have a pic of #8?

Tully

Mike Benham

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2007, 12:52:46 AM »
Anyone else have a pic of #8?

Tully

Taken farther back on the tee box then your photo ... looks like we need a photo from about 100 yards in ...  EDIT:  HONEST, I LINKED A PHOTO HERE BUT THE SERVER IS HAVING ISSUES RIGHT NOW ...

« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 01:00:07 PM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mark_Fine

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2007, 09:57:26 AM »
Sean,
In that 1926 photo, whose bunkering do you think that is?  Watson, Behr, Whiting (some combination)?
Mark

Jim Nugent

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2007, 12:23:02 PM »
Sean, in the 1920's photo, the clubhouse looks vastly bigger than it does in the current photo.  I'm pretty sure it didn't shrink in those years.  Does this mean the 1920's photo (or the new one for that matter) distorts aspects of the hole?  

Mark_Fine

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2007, 12:43:59 PM »
Jim,
The old one is likely not taken from the tee (if it is, it is from a very forward tee).
Mark

Jim Nugent

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2007, 01:04:48 PM »
Mark, probably so.  But the clubhouse looks twice as big in the old photo.  Would moving forward 30 yards (if that) change the image that much?  

Mark_Fine

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2007, 01:13:23 PM »
Jim,
Yes it would!  Here is an example with one of my photos of #8.  

Jim Nugent

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2007, 02:19:47 PM »
Mark, excellent!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2007, 11:36:38 PM »
Sean:

The 1926 photo from the tee is one even I have never seen.  Many thanks.  I do have a photo of it from the air and as I told you from the green.  My guess is the bunker was extended by Whiting well before RTJ saw it.

Personally I like the fortress green look.  From a maintance standpoint I think its fairly tough to maintain a grass wall although I understand you can apply a growth inhibitor.  After a few months of people burying their balls into the wall it would probably become a mess??? Regardless I doubt that more than 1 or 2% of the members would go for it.

Lastly, the 2 strips going up to the green look like walkways to me, not strip bunkers.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back