News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Final Blow to World Golf Cup
« on: January 30, 2007, 12:50:42 PM »
I saw this article on ESPN.  Is this the final blow to the World Golf Cup?

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2747618

Could they breathe some new life into this event by holding it at classic top rated venues around the world?  Who wouldn't love to watch this if they could swing it to hold it at say NGLA, Pine Valley, Cypress Point, etc on a rotating basis.

Wayne_Kozun

Re:Final Blow to World Golf Cup
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 01:25:49 PM »
Could they breathe some new life into this event by holding it at classic top rated venues around the world?  Who wouldn't love to watch this if they could swing it to hold it at say NGLA, Pine Valley, Cypress Point, etc on a rotating basis.
While I like the courses you have chosen I don't think this event should always be played in the US.  Weren't the WGC events supposed to be global events?  Now we are getting to a situation where they are never held outside of the US.

Why not play this event in places like Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, South Africa, China, Canada, Argentina, etc.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 02:44:47 PM »
It should carry WR points
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 02:45:16 PM by Matthew Hunt »

ChasLawler

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 03:26:31 PM »
The venue doesn't matter - it's the competition.

If the top 2 players from every country were actually competing, this event could be just below the majors and the Ryder Cup in terms of popularity.

It all comes down to Tiger - he sucked the life out if this when he pulled out. If the best player in the world isn't playing in the event, it loses its legitimacy - with the players and the fans.

and it's pretty safe to say that Tiger didn't pull out because of the venue...and that a change of venue (no matter how impressive) isn't likely to change his mind.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 04:39:42 PM »
I wasn't necessairly advocating that all of the venues be in the US, just stating a few to get the caliber of courses.  But even then when the match play WGC event was held in Australia it was a complete disaster in terms of who attended. These events need to be held where the majority of the top 100 players in the world reside.  So if that means America or Europe, then so be it.

I do think some classic venues would have the potential to draw some big names out as well as extra crowds.  Just how much is up for debate though.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 04:55:13 PM »
Kalen - There was only one reason why the WGC event at Metropolitan, Melbourne was a disaster, it started I believe on Jan 2nd. Players do need some time with their families.

As for going to premier venues the idea is great but they would want a facility fee where as now they appear to go to the venues who pay the most a la The Grove, near London & Mission Hills.

Tiger is by far the best in the world but the game needs to learn to exist with and without him.
Cave Nil Vino

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »
I wasn't necessairly advocating that all of the venues be in the US, just stating a few to get the caliber of courses.  But even then when the match play WGC event was held in Australia it was a complete disaster in terms of who attended. These events need to be held where the majority of the top 100 players in the world reside.  So if that means America or Europe, then so be it.

I do think some classic venues would have the potential to draw some big names out as well as extra crowds.  Just how much is up for debate though.
But we have been discussing on another thread how only 3 of the top 16 golfers are America - there are that many Aussies in the list.  Let's have it in Oz - Tiger's the only one who matters anyhow.  If he isn't going to attend, even if it is held at NGLA, Cypress or wherever then you may as well hold it in Myanmar as the ratings will be the same.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 05:16:40 PM »
But the WGC events like the match play is the top 64.  Of that list as it stands today, 2/3 of those come from the USA or Europe.

And most all the rest of the Aussies and South Africans have residences in Florida anyways.  Still makes best sense to hold it in USA or Europe.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 05:55:46 PM »
You can't get the top professional players to play, even the Women's World Cup had third stringers. It should be an amateur event.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 06:00:28 PM »
Kalen -

The venue for the World Golf Cup is the least of its problems and the least relevant factor in whether the event has a future.

The fact of the matter is that there is WAY to much tournament golf played over the course of the year. With the Ryder Cup, the Presidents Cup and the growth of the "silly season," the players are simply maxed out and have reached the breaking point in terms of how much they want to travel and compete.  The top players are playing so much and making so money, they would just as soon not be bothered with an event like this.

The advent if the WGC events has made this event irrelevant.

DT    

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back