News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re:Bandon Dunes/Bandon Trails/Pacific Dunes
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2007, 02:37:28 PM »
Tim,

I have not played the Sheep Ranch...so could you tell me, are the greens the standard Doak green.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2007, 02:44:44 PM »
Thank Tim,

I'll try using some of the advanced options on the search feature.  The basic search only gave me recent posts.

Kalen

Tim Pitner

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2007, 03:33:05 PM »
Tim,

I have not played the Sheep Ranch...so could you tell me, are the greens the standard Doak green.

John,

I'm not sure I'm ready to concede that Doak has a "standard" green, but my experience is limited, thus far, to Pacific Dunes and Ballyneal.  The greens at Sheep Ranch don't really call to mind the greens of PD or BN.  Of course, they also aren't maintained like normal greens--they're shaggy and stimp around 3-5.  

Kalen,

I'm a little pressed for time right now; I'd be happy to tell you more about Sheep Ranch later.  Of course, there are lots of others on here with knowledge too.  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 03:34:41 PM by Tim Pitner »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2007, 05:51:24 PM »
I do not think Bandon Trails is the best of the three, for the record, I prefer it least.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tim Bert

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2007, 07:57:10 PM »
Re: difficulty of getting tee times in the summer, I think Tom's comments are a little off.

I just booked my foursomes trip for the last week of June less than one month ago.  We had plenty of options for each course on each day.  We had the option for first time off on each day if we so desired.  Granted, we are wise enough to plan a trip that is not on the weekend.

I do think it is busy on the weekends, but I think there is still availability for anyone with a little flexibility.

Count me amongst those that like Pacific Dunes the best.  Last time we went, we played each of the three courses equally during the day, but all of our bonus time (3rd rounds) were spent at Pacific.

The Sheep Ranch is definitely worth a visit.  We're still debating if it is worth the return trip this summer as opposed to getting in some evening practice on the range the day we arrive.  To answer JKs question, I've never seen another Doak green quite like E at the Ranch.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2007, 09:17:16 PM »
Tim:

It's entirely possible that what they meant when they told me they were fully booked for the entire summer was just for weekends.  I really don't recall.  I was just really surprised it was fully booked for anything nearly a year in advance.

In any case, best to plan ahead.

TH

ed_getka

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2007, 05:39:47 PM »
Uh... guys... Cory left the site yesterday. :)

Cory,
  In case you check back in I would put my vote in for Pacific. As Tom said you should really take advantage of the replay rate. Keep in mind, after 36 holes you are golfing for FREE. :)
   If you want US style with links condition I would play Bandon Dunes, if you want links style with links conditions I would play Pacific Dunes. Bandon Trails is interesting and worth a look too. On a 10 round breakdown I would go 6 PD, 3 BT, 1 BD.
    Regarding tee times, at a minimum you will get out in the afternoon with time for 36 holes midweek. The courses are pretty empty after lunch, and by 5-6pm they are pretty deserted. Around opening day of BT (early June), I went out at PD around 6pm, only one other golfer on the entire course. :o
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2007, 11:42:04 AM »
Uh, Ed, is Cory gone forever and if so, how do you know that?  And hell, I leave the site for days at a time also... is one never to check back in on a thread he finds interesting?

;)

And re having the courses to yourself,... I believe that might have been the case last year at times.  With another year gone by and that much more publicity, and given the fact it wasn't that way at all when I was there last June within a few weeks of Ed, well... I'm a doubting Thomas.

BTW Cory or whoever else might care about this, put me down again for 3-3-3 among the courses, with the last one left to chance.  They are all pretty darn great.  I just do continue to believe that if you are going to play just one, make it Pacific Dunes first.  Ed's right that it is the most different from one's normal fare if one is the typical US golfer playing mostly parkland courses.

TH
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 11:44:33 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2007, 12:21:09 PM »
What's new down at Bandon?

I missed going last year, and will be going in March for two days/nights with 12 guys. The last couple years before that we always turned 36 at Pacific Dunes. This year we are not scheduled for Pacific. Most of our group has not played Bandon Trails, so about half of us will be going for 36 there.

1) What are some favorite features at Bandon Trails to look for, or even photograph for the treehouse?

2) What has changed at Bandon Dunes? There is a new green on #1, correct? Any other changes out there?

3) Should we go for another 18 at Bandon Dunes, look into the Sheep Ranch, or look into the extra to play Pacific on the day we play Dunes in the am?

Thanks for any input!
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

ed_getka

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2007, 01:42:34 PM »
Jeff,
   I am most curious to know why no rounds at PD?

Features at BT that I think are cool are #4, diagonal ridge in fairway. #5 green. #6 tee shot (#6 green is most boring on course). #8 green, note the "fingers" that feed into the green (I don't know what else to call it). Lots of cool stuff from #13-17 which might be one of the best stretches of holes at the resort. Have fun and let us know what you think.

Tom,
   I'm just teasing on a slow weekend. :) I was just implying that you scared him off with your rapid fire volley of retorts to one another.  ;)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Nyk Pike

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2007, 05:44:22 PM »
Jeff-

Ed was right on with the features to look for on Bandon Trails. The ridge on #4 is a great feature that I don't think gets enough talk. #6 has had the left greenside bunker enlarged. #7 has had some recent tweaks. The waste area down the right has been extended into the fairway. I think #8 is one of the greatest short par 4s. #14 causes discussion. I like it. #15 is underrated in my opinion. Great course that blends three distinct environments.

The new green on #1 is not in rotation right now and probably won't be in play until the summer winds come. There has been a gorse removal program in place over the past few years to return the course to original form. It is amazing how much gorse has broken the vistas that were once there. The most noticable area of removal is behind #14 green.

If you have the time, Pacific Dunes is worth the play.

Eventhough Old Macdonald isn't off the drafting table, who wants to start speculation on this.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2007, 08:53:56 PM »
Thanks guys!

I've played Pacific 7 times and a bunch of our guys had constraints on the dates they could go. Most have not played Trails yet and the mornings at Pacific were full when we signed up.

Has anyone played the new green at Dunes on #1?

Michael Hayes

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2007, 11:29:27 AM »
Corey, to answer you original question, PLAY BANDON DUNES!  It was the first and it gives the best feel for the unbelieveable scene that has been created down there.  Remember, Doak and C&C never would have had the chance to create their awe inspiring courses had Kidd not created the original.  

I was just down in Bandon for a week of golf, not one raindrop and minimal wind, I wore shorts 2 of the 7 days.  Temps were high 50's to mid 60's.  It was crowded, every tee time booked until 1:30 on all 3 courses.  

Great new addition at Bandon!!!!!  SHORTY'S 9 holer is great.  This is not your father's par 3 course.  In fact my favorite green at the entire resort is the 8th green at Shorty's.  Holes range from 86 to 177 yards.  I probably played 72 holes out at shorty's during the last light of the day.  TOM J. I owe you an hour of sand and seed time on my next visit, thanks for putting the second set of tees out for our skins game.

The new green for #1 at Bandon is not being used, I walked it and putted on it and can say that it will pale in comparison to the second shot on the original green.  the green is basically flat with some motion in the back left. The bunkering is 1 short right and 1 middle left.  These bunkers are nothing compared to the intimidation given to the first timer at bandon using the original green.  

I have a new favorite course down there.  Trails has grown on me to the point that I can say easily that it is my favorite.  I think the greens on Trails are unreal, and the shot variety it all together unique when comparing the other two courses.  I now have played 10 rounds on Trails and simply adore the golf course.  My answer to the infamous 10 round question would be: 3 BD, 3 PD, 4 BT.
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2007, 11:33:39 AM »
Great stuff Michael and thanks for the report.  I still say given just one round he ought to play Pacific Dunes, but he surely can't go wrong with any - that's the bottom line.

Note a group of us will be there in 4 weeks - we are praying the weathe works out as it did for you.   ;)  Re "shortys", is that now open to one and all at any time?  If so we will NEED to factor that in.....

Thanks also for the infamous 10 round assessment.  We seem to be pretty copacetic there and that's always great by me.

TH

Michael Hayes

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2007, 11:37:43 AM »
Huck, Shorty's is open on the whim of the el presidente, i reccomend large ammounts of sucking up. ;D ;D ;D

Bandonistas Unite!!!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2007, 11:38:59 AM »
Huck, Shorty's is open on the whim of the el presidente, i reccomend large ammounts of sucking up. ;D ;D ;D

Aha... well of course that is one of my specialties... and we have others on the trip who make me blush with their skill at such things.

We shall have to make it happen.

;D

PThomas

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2007, 11:39:42 AM »

Aha... well of course that is one of my specialties... and we have others on the trip who make me blush with their skill at such things.

We shall have to make it happen.

;D

you CA guys are all alike ;)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2007, 11:43:28 AM »
Corey, to answer you original question, PLAY BANDON DUNES!  It was the first and it gives the best feel for the unbelieveable scene that has been created down there.  Remember, Doak and C&C never would have had the chance to create their awe inspiring courses had Kidd not created the original.  

I was just down in Bandon for a week of golf, not one raindrop and minimal wind, I wore shorts 2 of the 7 days.  Temps were high 50's to mid 60's.  It was crowded, every tee time booked until 1:30 on all 3 courses.  

Great new addition at Bandon!!!!!  SHORTY'S 9 holer is great.  This is not your father's par 3 course.  In fact my favorite green at the entire resort is the 8th green at Shorty's.  Holes range from 86 to 177 yards.  I probably played 72 holes out at shorty's during the last light of the day.  TOM J. I owe you an hour of sand and seed time on my next visit, thanks for putting the second set of tees out for our skins game.

The new green for #1 at Bandon is not being used, I walked it and putted on it and can say that it will pale in comparison to the second shot on the original green.  the green is basically flat with some motion in the back left. The bunkering is 1 short right and 1 middle left.  These bunkers are nothing compared to the intimidation given to the first timer at bandon using the original green.  

I have a new favorite course down there.  Trails has grown on me to the point that I can say easily that it is my favorite.  I think the greens on Trails are unreal, and the shot variety it all together unique when comparing the other two courses.  I now have played 10 rounds on Trails and simply adore the golf course.  My answer to the infamous 10 round question would be: 3 BD, 3 PD, 4 BT.

Great post Michael...Looks like I missed a good one this year.  Have you guys ever gone back to the Sheep Ranch since that first visit.

Michael Hayes

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2007, 11:50:14 AM »
John, we considered the Sheep Ranch, but with Shorty's now open, it is just so much easier to accomplish considering transport and other logistics.  I did however go out to see the SR and all is well in the world of pasture golf!

PS. the Fins(your alma mater) won the Fellowship of the Dunes 44-40 over the Feathers.  
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Todd Rohrer

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2007, 11:53:44 AM »
Cory,
I have to second (or third...) what others are saying.  When you're at Bandon, just play!  Frankly, you could spend all day on the practice ground; it's that much fun.  I'm sure there are better practice areas out there, but I haven't seen one.

Jeff:
I know this reeks of "personal opinion," but you must play the Sheep Ranch.  There is a chance that it is going away, and I think you'd hate to look back and say you missed it when you had a chance to play it.  

I'll try to post some photos of some of the holes on Trails that Ed and Nyk mentioned.  These are a couple of years old, and I'm a rank amateur...

First, a look at the par 3 5th, from the tee:

The 5th green.  Try to take the time to have a putting contest...

Here's a look from short and right of the par 4 15th...

A picture of the par 3 17th, from the tee.  If your match is still on, anything can happen here!

And then here are a few photos of the Sheep Ranch.  You may not get a day like this in the winter, but you could spend all day on this ground, and still want more...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2007, 11:55:07 AM »
Everyone needs to go to the Bandon Resort with "real golfers".  I am still greatful for the insight into Bandon Dunes and the role it played in the lives of the Northwest golfing public.  I love that after many multiple plays people start to see through Pacific Dunes and the Sheep Ranch.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 12:00:52 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Todd Rohrer

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2007, 12:06:21 PM »
John:

I like your point.  Bandon just grows and grows on you.
I'm always amazed when I chat with fellow Northwesterners who just haven't made time to get to Bandon.  It's almost as though it's "too close!"

But I practically get chills when I look at those pictures of the Sheep Ranch I posted.  I don't think I've ever had more fun with golf clubs.

The whole place can only be good for our game.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2007, 12:07:41 PM »
Cory,
I have to second (or third...) what others are saying.  When you're at Bandon, just play!  Frankly, you could spend all day on the practice ground; it's that much fun.  I'm sure there are better practice areas out there, but I haven't seen one.

Jeff:
I know this reeks of "personal opinion," but you must play the Sheep Ranch.  There is a chance that it is going away, and I think you'd hate to look back and say you missed it when you had a chance to play it.  

I'll try to post some photos of some of the holes on Trails that Ed and Nyk mentioned.  These are a couple of years old, and I'm a rank amateur...

First, a look at the par 3 5th, from the tee:

The 5th green.  Try to take the time to have a putting contest...

Here's a look from short and right of the par 4 15th...

A picture of the par 3 17th, from the tee.  If your match is still on, anything can happen here!

And then here are a few photos of the Sheep Ranch.  You may not get a day like this in the winter, but you could spend all day on this ground, and still want more...

Courtesy bump from last post of second page.  I hate when that happens.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2007, 12:09:36 PM »
Thanks Todd - awesome pictures!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2007, 12:21:23 PM »

I don't understand how this green can be both natural and undoubtedly Doak.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back