News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

It should be very simple to have locator chips placed inside your golf ball.  Considering you have used your eyes for years to find lost balls you'd be a luddite not to avail yourself of one of these.  They would make courses play differently because the fear of a lost ball penalty would not be the same.

John Kavanaugh

Re:Future cheating devices...ie: They make good architecture boring.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 11:04:53 AM »
How about some self cleaning grooves so I can spin the ball more consistantly.  Just another caddies job out the door..no harm, no foul.  This could also be done with a sonic grove cleaning device attached to a cart.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 11:06:19 AM »
X-Ray glasses the eliminate blind shots.  It is only fair for the first time player.

tlavin

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 11:07:59 AM »
I'd like something optometric that could correct my inability to read the break on a putt after my fourth Bud lite.  

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 11:08:43 AM »
John,

I think the ultimate would be that driver with the .22 blank behind the face. Just set it down behind the ball, get your alignment set...push the button and KAPOW! 295 straight down the middle!
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

AndrewB

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 11:10:46 AM »
How about a motorized device that players can ride in to save having to actually walk?  It's sort of like a car but you can make the "trunk" have easy access to one's clubs.  And, just like real cars, think of all the extra goodies you can add (air conditioning/heating, navigation systems, sound systems).

Imagine that.  Oh, wait ...
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 11:10:53 AM »
X-Ray glasses the eliminate blind shots.  It is only fair for the first time player.

They already make sunglasses with lenses that claim to allow you to see the contours of the green better. Where are all the objections from the luddites here on GCA?

Lost balls - you still have to find and identify it in those gorse bushes so what's your beef. Penelty will be the same in most cases - stroke and distance. I''d love to see you crawing through those thorns because you know your ball is in there.

Carts sometimes have ball and club washers.  Do they give an unfair advantage over walkers without them.

This is all very silly.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
I'm sort of hopin' for the Bionic limbs and torso that will give me the Tiger X 5 swingspeed I've been looking for.  

I'm sure I'll need stiffer shafts, however.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 11:17:52 AM »
I don't understand why the watch that keeps swing speed and other data logged during a round is illegal when a caddie can do the same thing.  I'd like to see an expanded range of electronic trainer devices on the course.  It would speed up play because people would play better.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 11:20:36 AM »
If there is a future revision of some kind of Skycaddie that has fly-overs and 3d grid views of the greens, will that be enough for the luddites to start their own feathery/hickory only clubs?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 11:24:21 AM »

They already make sunglasses with lenses that claim to allow you to see the contours of the green better. Where are all the objections from the luddites here on GCA?

Don't know anyone that stupid to believe the hype.

Lost balls - you still have to find and identify it in those gorse bushes so what's your beef. Penelty will be the same in most cases - stroke and distance. I''d love to see you crawing through those thorns because you know your ball is in there.

I've come out bleeding before.  It would be simple to code the balls personally so you could identify without putting your hands on the ball.  The options of a ball found are almost always better than stroke and distance.

Carts sometimes have ball and club washers.  Do they give an unfair advantage over walkers without them.

Yes..unless you have a caddie or little regard for speed of play.

This is all very silly.

Silly as a slippery slope.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 11:25:56 AM »
If there is a future revision of some kind of Skycaddie that has fly-overs and 3d grid views of the greens, will that be enough for the luddites to start their own feathery/hickory only clubs?

Jeff,

You don't need to go that far..just eliminate the battery.  No carts, range finders or cell phones.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 11:30:18 AM »

Jeff,

You don't need to go that far..just eliminate the battery.  No carts, range finders or cell phones.

Now that one I like John.  I just don't like the hypocrites who are selective in their blessing of technology.  So long as no one gains an unfair advantage and the information gained is available to all then I see no harm.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 11:45:10 AM »
I thought this whole asking for and or sharing information was against the rules.  Isn't the smarter player supposed to have an advantage.  

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 11:49:24 AM »
I love the no batteries rule. (and .22 blanks!)

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 11:51:41 AM »
It should be very simple to have locator chips placed inside your golf ball.  Considering you have used your eyes for years to find lost balls you'd be a luddite not to avail yourself of one of these.  They would make courses play differently because the fear of a lost ball penalty would not be the same.

John,
You are a bit behind the times:

http://www.radargolf.com/home.asp

This ball got a best new product award at the golf merchandise show, I think.

And on a slightly different note:
http://www.latestbuy.com.au/twilight_tracer_golf.html
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

ForkaB

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 12:06:46 PM »

There already is such a thing, although it is not made by Skycaddy.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 12:09:08 PM »
John,

I think the ultimate would be that driver with the .22 blank behind the face. Just set it down behind the ball, get your alignment set...push the button and KAPOW! 295 straight down the middle!
I saw a Koren one to test golf balls, used a .38.  He set it to 250m and fired 3 different balls to find out which one went furthest (Pinnacle).  So if you use a .38 driver......
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Adam Clayman

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 12:14:01 PM »
I'm developing the Moses rod. It will split the waters, so I can extricate my ball and beat my opponent to a pulp. While simultaneously removing the need to ever buy another pill.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 12:14:11 PM »
John,

To be more direct, they could insert a chip, or maybe just some kind of magnetic core into golf balls that might attract it to the metal cup.  That would perhaps reduce putts, and IMHO, be a higher order of cheating than getting high tech help finding your golf ball.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 12:17:04 PM »
John,

To be more direct, they could insert a chip, or maybe just some kind of magnetic core into golf balls that might attract it to the metal cup.  That would perhaps reduce putts, and IMHO, be a higher order of cheating than getting high tech help finding your golf ball.

This should be very doable; all they have to do is reverse the polarity of whatever is in the balls that I use, which seem to be repelled by the cup. :-\
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 12:22:34 PM »
I'd like something optometric that could correct my inability to read the break on a putt after my fourth Bud lite.  

Just as the xray glasses, this one seems a bit out of reach. What is attainable is a better choice in beer.  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

peter_p

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 12:26:37 PM »
Hole liners will be made of magnetic material and ball cores will contain iron.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2007, 12:51:01 PM »
I guess the only problem with the magnet idea is having your opponent holding the also metalic flag.  He could lead your putt right into a bunker! ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

JESII

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2007, 03:00:51 PM »
But then, wouldn't the ball just stick to the face of the club?

Now were onto a roll-back strategy...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back