News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Hunt

Re:Tom Doak makes it into our top ten..
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2007, 11:07:42 AM »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2007, 11:25:23 AM »
Is Laird Goodale the only representative of this side of the pond in the top 30?  What a responsibility he bears!

peter_p

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2007, 04:36:39 PM »
The big dog just passed 25000 with nary a whisper.

dsilk

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2007, 09:08:51 PM »
their were many differences between gretz and gordie- not the least of which was gretz's ability to start plays; whereas gordie was a finisher (some of that comes from the difference in position play)
along that line, i wonder if there is a big difference in starting threads vs weighing in on existing posts....
as my ex mother in law says, "thought for food.."

Sean_A

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2007, 02:52:21 AM »
their were many differences between gretz and gordie- not the least of which was gretz's ability to start plays; whereas gordie was a finisher (some of that comes from the difference in position play)
along that line, i wonder if there is a big difference in starting threads vs weighing in on existing posts....
as my ex mother in law says, "thought for food.."

Silky

Of course you are right about starting posts rather than chipping in.  Thats why I am constantly amazed at how Pat Mucci keepsem' coming.  Amazing really.

However, I am not sure I can agree about the Howe-Gretzky deal.  I know Gretzy started plays with passing, but I think Gordie started plays with his physical play.  When was the last time the "enforcer" was a team's leading scorer?  There was nobody like Howe, what a player!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

dsilk

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2007, 04:39:14 AM »
sean
no arguement about gordie's prowess- but- Lindsey was usually thr first man into the zone to create turnovers and Delvecchio at center dished soft passes to Gordie. Dorgie's puysocal play dot him lots of room in front of the net to finish. Gretzky went to the back of the net to set up...
i think 2 stats would bear out the point0
# of unassisted goals ( gordie wouldnt have nearly as many) hence the nickname "The production line"
total offense gretz vs gordie  (which should be used for arbitration cases)
in any case, to your point, if I were a GM with a chance to start a team, I probably would have taken gordie and messier before gretz because of his physical element!

Sean_A

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2007, 12:29:20 PM »
sean
no arguement about gordie's prowess- but- Lindsey was usually thr first man into the zone to create turnovers and Delvecchio at center dished soft passes to Gordie. Dorgie's puysocal play dot him lots of room in front of the net to finish. Gretzky went to the back of the net to set up...
i think 2 stats would bear out the point0
# of unassisted goals ( gordie wouldnt have nearly as many) hence the nickname "The production line"
total offense gretz vs gordie  (which should be used for arbitration cases)
in any case, to your point, if I were a GM with a chance to start a team, I probably would have taken gordie and messier before gretz because of his physical element!

Silky

You are right about Ted, he was a tough sumbitch, but Howe went into the corners as well.  This was a true grind line that out hussled their opponents and scored a ton of goals as a result.  

Gordie made room for not only himself, but other team mates as well.  Folks knew that if they did a wrong turn to a Wing that Howe was gonna leave em slumped in a corner with the play at the other end.  Having a guy like Howe after you tends to distract the mind a bit.  

Even so, it would be hard not to choose a guy like Gretzky for your side.  He was a brilliant playmaker.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 06:05:05 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

ForkaB

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2007, 12:53:13 PM »
I am probably biased, but IMO there has never been a hockey player as good as Bobby Orr.  He's the only one I can still see in my mind's eye, gliding over the rink as if he were the only player on the ice......

Sean_A

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2007, 01:00:35 PM »
I am probably biased, but IMO there has never been a hockey player as good as Bobby Orr.  He's the only one I can still see in my mind's eye, gliding over the rink as if he were the only player on the ice......

Rich

Bobby isn't a bad call for the "ultimate player" award.  I'd pick him as one of my defensemen!

Man I love hockey.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:01:26 PM by Sean Arble »

dsilk

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2007, 05:44:56 AM »
you guys wont get any argument from me on that one...
#4 from Parry Sound changed the game, moved hockey   from cult-like status to mainstream in new england and hung on every kids wall from 1968 to 1978.
Great new book out called, In Search of Bobby Orr.
Besides being a good read, it has a GREAT photo of a crewcut RGO in his rookie year- before he went to the single strand of tape on his stick!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back