News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan_Callahan

Belgrade Lakes Golf Club, Maine (with pics)
« on: June 21, 2007, 08:56:04 AM »
I just returned from a day at Belgrade Lakes Golf Club in central Maine. I had only played the course once, and that was about four years ago after a very difficult winter left several of the greens in tough shape. On Saturday, the course was immaculate. We teed off at 9:00 and seemed to be just about the only group on the course. They do a good job spacing tee times (every 15 minutes, I think), which helps pace of play.

Belgrade is more fun than difficult. We were playing with some guys who get out only a few times a year, so we were at the 6,200-yard tees. For the decent player, the design is really well suited for the next set back at 6,700 yards, which brings the wide part of the fairway back into play.

When you pull into the parking lot and walk up to the clubhouse, this is the view you get on the putting green. I could sit out there all day just relaxing.

The opening tee shot plays straight downhill. There is a plateau that is a good landing spot, leaving a wedge to the green.

The second is a 150-yard par 3 that plays slightly downhill. the green has a significant slope from back to front. When the hole is cut in the back (as it is here), you need to fly it all the way, bringing the bunker into play.

A definite half-par hole, this short par 5 is easily reached in two. However, the rocks are in play on the tee shot, and there is water on the left that extends all the way up to the green.

A great par 3, the 5th hole is about 165 yards with water short. the green is sloped making putts from side to side very difficult to negotiate.

The 9th is a nice end to the front. The tee shot can hug the rocks on the left, leaving about 150 yards uphill to a double green (shared with the 18th). That is the clubhouse looking over the hole. A cart is available to ferry walkers to the 10th.

Another cool hole, the 10th plays back down the hill and around the corner. A 3-wood is plenty, but a driver can fly the rocks on the left, leaving a wedge approach to an elevated green.

The 11th is about as straightforward a hole as you'll find. No fairway bunkers to avoid, and the green allows a running approach.

The 12th might be the most difficult par 5 on the course. The tee shot offers a generous landing area. The second, however, is to a blind layup area that is awkward to hit. The green is down a hill on a line behind the big rock and leafless tree. Any attempt to get there in two amounts to closing your eyes and hoping for the best.

The next par 3 is maybe the best on the course. At 200 yards, it forces you to hit a good shot. The bunker in the foreground is actually well short of the green. It really screws woith your depth perception.

The 14th allows you to take a breather. The uphill tee shot is blind, but there is ample landing area. It is a short hole at only 344 that leaves a very short second.

The 16th is the last par 5 of the round. A tee shot at the tree with a fade is perfect, leaving about 250 into a green that is well protected by bunkers.

17 is another strong par 3. It features a huge green and lots of room to miss on the left. Shots off to the right are in trouble.

The 18th is similar in appearance to 9, although the tee shot is semi-blind and has lots of trouble to the right. Where 9 had an uphill approach, the second shot on 18 is downhill. If you are on the left of the fairway, you can look right at the hole. An approach from the right is blind. The green itself has a crazy slope that makes a left hole location very difficult to attack.

The combination of incredible views, ease of walk, terrific conditioning, fun holes, and great pace of play makes Belgrade one of my favorite courses in New England. It doesn't offer the same challenge as a Crumpin Fox or even Red Tail. However, both times I have been there I have had about as enjoyable a round as possible. I am anxious to get over to Sunday River to see how it compares.

Jim Sweeney

Re:Belgrade Lakes Golf Club, Maine (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 09:02:28 AM »
COol looking. How were the black flies? I assume all those rocks are culled from the site. I liked the boulders sicking up from the rough on the twelfth, mosty because they are not obviously placed for dramatic effect (i.e., middle of the fairway), they are just there.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Eric Franzen

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 09:17:57 AM »
Yes, the rocks are culled from the site. As you understand, it is quite frustrating to hit them since the ball just bounces off into oblivion.
I played Belgrade about one and half year ago. I think the rock croppings might look better when they get a bit more rugged and darker feel to them. Back then it kind gave me vibes of playing golf at a contruction site.

I liked Kebo Valley better but wouldn't hesitate to play Belgrade again if I was in the area.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 09:31:46 AM »
The black flies were virtually nonexistant. We had a sunny, dry day with a light breeze. It couldn't have been a better climate for golf.

I must admit that the rocks caught my attention the first time I played Belgrade. This time around, I didn't really notice them much. They are really only stacked up to an unnatural degree on a handfull of holes (3, 6, 9 and 18). Other rocky areas are on a much smaller scale and are better integrated into the landscape.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 09:53:35 AM »
I really like Belgrade Lakes - the sense of place is wonderful, the staff is first rate and genuine, that the golf is darn fun.

This isn't an architectural gem like Pacific Dunes by any stretch.  But it is good, pure enjoyment.  

It's a very walkable course too, and playing 36 is pretty easy to do.

They had been planning to build an on-site hotel, but it looks like that's been put on hold.  There are a few chain-type hotels down toward Augusta, but your best bet would be a cabin on Great Pond, if you can get one.

Historically, I think the course was built by the guy that was the czar of the Dexter Shoe Company.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 09:54:46 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 10:51:33 AM »
Dan,

I liked this course very much as well, although there was one tee shot I thought was way too narrow...it was a hole going away from the clubhouse with it way above and behind you....a shortish par 4.

All in all, a very fun course with a few features one doesn't often get to see.

-Brad
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 09:04:22 PM »
Damn, that's some wild combination of the most beautiful countryside I've ever seen teamed with about the ugliest golf course architecture this side of the Kings course at Myrtle Beach National.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 09:04:41 PM by MPCirba »

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 09:22:58 PM »
As enjoyable as any course I've played in New England.  Not the hardest, just plain fun.  The tee time spacing is great as you never have to wait.  It is far from the worst golf course architecture.  IMHO it is darn good.  No a us open is not around the corner, but again for the fun factor ranks quite high.  Not to slight your pix but they don't do this gem justice.  You have to be there, I guess.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 09:31:03 PM »
I played Belgrade once, then immediately played it again in the afternoon.  As many have said, it's not the best or most challenging golf course around, but the beauty of the course and its surroundings are stunning.

And it has a feature that always appeals to me; it has a net elevation drop.  If you add up the elevation changes from each tee to its corresponding green, you will find that it is a negative number.  I love downhill holes!

PS  A local rule says that the boulders play as a lateral hazard, so nobody has to hit from them.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 09:36:48 PM »
Mike,
In person, it's nowhere near as stark as you'd think.  There's some wonderful elevation changes that are difficullt to see in the photos.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 08:35:44 AM »
Dan Callahan, (and Dan Hermann)

Thanks for providing the pics and I've heard others who've enjoyed BL...I just can't get past the man-made fussiness on such a rugged and vast natural piece of rolling property.

If anything, I think such a site is just screaming for a golf course that seems like it's been there forever, ala Highland Links in Nova Scotia.

However, based on both of your recommendations, I'd certainly be curious to see it in person when I get up to Maine again, although I do have to admit that I'm much more intrigued by some of the unknown and unheralded Maine courses that Michael Moore has highlighted here in the past.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 08:36:03 AM by MPCirba »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 10:35:44 PM »
Mike,
Like our little corner of Pennsylvania, the Lakes region of Maine has a lot of rocks - many of theirs are big enough to be called boulders.

Not every hole has them, though, and they don't distract from the experience.

From a design standpoint, the biggest minus for me was the similarity of 9 and 18, which actually share a big double green, if I recall correctly.

And you're right about Michael Moore's finds.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 03:09:24 PM »
From a design standpoint, the biggest minus for me was the similarity of 9 and 18, which actually share a big double green, if I recall correctly.

Sort of.  The greens are connected by a thin sliver.  When I played, I tried to putt from the far edge of the 18th green down to the 9th green, and it was very difficult to get the ball to run down the chute.  But they are connected.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 08:53:27 PM »
Mike,

Do you think there is something wrong with 16? I think that looks like a beautiful par 5. The right hand pin seems to create quite a choice off the tee.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back