News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Hunt

Re:A case for a 5th major, fall classic invitational.
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2007, 04:28:58 PM »
There is a 5th major already.

It is called the US Amateur.

If it isn't, then why has it been written that those who have won other "majors" should then consider their Amateur victory as a major?

6 including the British Amateur

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2007, 04:47:17 PM »
As many of us here know, the Western Open used to hold 'major' status, as did the Amateurs. The concept of the majors and the grand slam is eleastic, and evolving. It wasn't really considered before RT Jones. I'd suggest that there is sufficient media interest in Tiger attaining the grand slam that a change in the norm is unlikely soon. However if Finchem's corporocracy continues to gain influence I'd say watch out PGA of America.

Michael Christensen

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2007, 05:20:54 PM »
like the idea.....I guess it could be one more tourney that Phil and Tiger could skip  ;D

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2007, 05:59:37 PM »

If it isn't, then why has it been written that those who have won other "majors" should then consider their Amateur victory as a major?

Matthew,

The British Amateur can't hold a candle to the US Amateur present day. The US is the big daddy and I am not so sure that the British is second. The players refer to the Western as the Masters of amateur golf and the British and US ams are obviously the amateur equivalent of their repective Opens. I think RJ's scenario works best for creating the 4th Amateur Major. There isn't one as we speak and Long Island would be as good a place as any. Labor Day weekend would be a perfect time because of all the guys overseas coming over here to play college golf. Wolstenholme could fit it into his schedule and you would have a full field.

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2007, 06:35:09 PM »
I read RJ's original post only to the third paragraph and somehow knew by then that Sebonack Invitational will be proposed.

Having walked the course, I can say it would show fabulously on TV, better than Shinnecock. And would present a stiff challenge to the pros if the wind blows.

Are there any female members at Sebonack?

;D

Jay Flemma

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2007, 06:39:05 PM »
I am a huge proponent of Sawgrass being made into the fifth major.  I love the course design - the alternate shot patterns, the greens, the way it requires so many different clubs off the tee and into the green.  I'll write more whan I have time, but the course deserves it and so does Pete Dye...

JR Potts

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2007, 06:41:52 PM »
So we are against the Fed-Ex Cup becauase it is contrived but we are promoting a fifth major?   :o

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2007, 06:47:29 PM »
So we are against the Fed-Ex Cup becauase it is contrived but we are promoting a fifth major?   :o

Whats contrived about a 5th major?  Especially the one tournament, the Players, that year after year that has the strongest and deepest field.  And to boot is played on an excellent risk/reward course that forces the players to use all the clubs in the bag.

Justin Gale

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2007, 09:40:48 PM »
If we're going to have a fifth major, why not make it outside the US? There are plenty of courses around the world capable of holding such a tournament.

But I agree with Tom - four majors should be the mark like with tennis. Lets drop the PGA, and hold a fourth major in Australia or Asia. Europe already has one (well close enough)

Bill_Ryzewski

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2007, 10:23:17 PM »
The Masters is the supreme test of golf for the proffesional, it was conceived that way and it remains that way.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2007, 01:11:44 AM »
The Masters is the supreme test of golf for the proffesional, it was conceived that way and it remains that way.

The Masters is very good but most professionals see the Open Championship as the ultimate test.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2007, 02:50:19 AM »

The Masters is very good but most professionals see the Open Championship as the ultimate test.

I wonder if that's true, and how you know it to be so?  

Mark Pearce

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2007, 05:24:12 AM »

Matthew,

The British Amateur can't hold a candle to the US Amateur present day. The US is the big daddy and I am not so sure that the British is second. The players refer to the Western as the Masters of amateur golf and the British and US ams are obviously the amateur equivalent of their repective Opens. I think RJ's scenario works best for creating the 4th Amateur Major. There isn't one as we speak and Long Island would be as good a place as any. Labor Day weekend would be a perfect time because of all the guys overseas coming over here to play college golf. Wolstenholme could fit it into his schedule and you would have a full field.
But the US Amatear can't hold a candle to the US PGA, let alone the Open, US Open and Masters.  And do you think the Western Aamateur attracts a better international field than the British Amateur?  I'd like to see figures.

Nothing in this post should be taken as challenging the view that everything in competitive golf is best in the US and that no other region comes close.  Any suggestion that there is any merit in European amateur golf or, heaven forbid, the European Tour is mistaken and was not intended.  
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2007, 06:43:40 AM »
Jim,

this impression comes from having talked to many top players over many years. It is a strong trend.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 11:38:59 AM by Jon Wiggett »

tlavin

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2007, 10:05:58 AM »
...the PGA is hosted on courses that don't measure up to the sites of the other majors...

Balderdash. The PGA has locked up sites the US Open would like to use, so the US Open is off playing places like Torrey Pines.

Torrey Pines is absolutely unworthy, I'll grant you that, but the USGA has to go to California and it likes dealing with municipalities as opposed to private clubs whenever possible and that's why Torrey beat out Riviera, but you can't seriously argue that the PGA is regularly contested on better courses than the Open.  Can you spell Valhalla?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2007, 11:01:29 AM »

Really? Even I could beat the likes of Billy Casper.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2007, 11:39:58 AM »

Really? Even I could beat the likes of Billy Casper.

Nicely stated Garland,

I think it will remain as it is because all the top players realize it is a "limited" event and so they have that many fewer golfers to compete with.  Hence thier chances of winning increases.

They don't have to worry about a Ben Curtis or Paul Lawrie type of player getting hot one week because they wouldn't have been in the field in the first place.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2007, 11:40:31 AM »
There is nothing at all contrived at all about Sawgrass.  It is still one of the truest tests of shotmaking on a startling, visually arresting piece of property and is universally appreciated by the players.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2007, 01:03:55 PM »
...the PGA is hosted on courses that don't measure up to the sites of the other majors...

Balderdash. The PGA has locked up sites the US Open would like to use, so the US Open is off playing places like Torrey Pines.

Torrey Pines is absolutely unworthy, I'll grant you that, but the USGA has to go to California and it likes dealing with municipalities as opposed to private clubs whenever possible and that's why Torrey beat out Riviera, but you can't seriously argue that the PGA is regularly contested on better courses than the Open.  Can you spell Valhalla?

Can you spell Congressional?  ;)
The US Open is going there again in 2011, and GD has it rated significantly lower than Valhalla.

My point was about the PGA collecting sites that the US Open used to use and has not returned to recently. E.g., Riviera, Medinah, Hazeltine, Oak Hill, and Baltusrol. It seems some of these prefer to deal with the PGA over the USGA now. Of course there is also the coup d'etat that the PGA has locked up and the USGA highly covets,  Whistling Straits.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2007, 01:17:51 PM »
What about the Trump Invitational played over a different greatest course in the world every year (owned by Donald naturally)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back