News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

Photo Gallery of Mackenzie's Pitreavie
« on: January 16, 2007, 09:45:18 AM »
Pitreavie was mentioned in a recent thread, and for those who are interested, I stumbled upon a whole lot of pictures (many quite good) of the place on Frank Pont's website.

www.golfarchitecturepictures.com

I say "stumbled" as Frank has mislabeled the pictures as "Dunfermline."  I was kinda looking forward to some pictures of Dunfermline (Pitfferane), but Pitreavie ain't a bad consolation prize...... :)

Adam Clayman

Re:Photo Gallery of Mackenzie's Pitreavie
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 11:47:35 AM »
Thanx for finding this Rihc.

I've always envisioned some beat up old neglected dog track. Instead, I'm treated to witnessing where many a modern architect stole, ahhm I mean took their inspirations.

One note, Could someone inform the claub that the planting of separation trees, in a single line, is out, and firewood is in.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 03:21:40 PM »
Pitreavie was mentioned in a recent thread, and for those who are interested, I stumbled upon a whole lot of pictures (many quite good) of the place on Frank Pont's website.

www.golfarchitecturepictures.com

I say "stumbled" as Frank has mislabeled the pictures as "Dunfermline."

Rihc,
you have mislabelled the mislabelling as Dunfermline. They are in fact mislabelled as DuMfermline. Case of Dumfermline and Dummererfermline, methinketh...! ;D

Adam,
Pitreavie is a damn fine thirty-five quids worth. Agreed re the trees.

Why you should visit Pitreavie...

Great picture, Frank!!!

FBD.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 03:35:46 PM by Martin Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Allan Hutton

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 04:50:50 PM »
Only question though...the bottles of Buckfast left over in the bunkers...Do they qualify as loose impediments?

I think it's great Pitreavie pictures are available. Many memories...Buckfast included ;)

I have to say though, on discussions of opening holes..The first at Pitreavie is a brute.

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 05:06:50 PM »
Alan

Have you played the new green on the frist?  It is a sensitive interpretation of Mackenzie by that wild and crazy Mackenzophile on this DG, our own Fat Baldy Drummer, and he apparently did the work for free! :'(

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 05:09:12 PM »

he apparently did the work for free! :'(

Darn it, Rich!
and I only just got out of therapy too...calling Dr. Katz!

FBD.

PS Well done, Allan for what MUST be the first mention of Buckie on GCA!!!
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 06:42:16 PM »
I saw a lot at Pitreavie. So much that it spun my head around like  Linda Blair's. (No relation to Tony, although both seem to be possessed by the devil)

Lots of really neat holes here that some of us have waxed poetically about many times. Some I think are precursors to other Mac holes that would be created in the future like the downhill 14th(?) (correct me if I'm wrong on this Rich or Martin) a par 3 witht he carry over the creek that is most reminscent of a prequel to Augusta #12. Now mind you that the hole is much more of a downhill shot, I do think that the thinking is more in line with what MacKenzie built at Augusta which was inspired from Colt's Stoke Poges.

The 6th, is a hole that stirs my imagination to this day. From the tee it's a blind carry over a rather large pit to a downhill hogsback fairway, or at least it seems .ike it rolled off of both sides. I can only imagine in the old days with nothing but farm fields behind it, that the depth perception could just kill you. Today the development takes a bit of that away, but still....

I think this hole is one that should be repeated far more often in Golf Architecture. (when the opportunity arises) It's certainly one of my favorites from this very interesting golf course.

(Once again, hole numbers maybe off, apologies if they are.)

From the tee

Looking back from the tee

From the fairway, your approach

The green

Paul_Turner

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 08:34:07 PM »
I haven't seen the course,  but from Frank's pics this has to be THE hole at Pitreavie!

can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Allan Hutton

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 11:11:50 AM »
Haven't played Pitreavie in about 10 years!

I've been back to Scotland 6 times in the last 2 years and, due to one reason or the other, have not brought the golf clubs. :P

So bad in fact, that I am coming back this summer on an organized trip!

In July; Kings, Eden, Old, Carnoustie, Muirfield, Kingsbarns, are confirmed right now. Probably also adding Crail, and Lundin.

I now feel obliged to add Pitreavie to the list.  I'm sure some of the guys will get a kick out of playing an early Mackenzie!, either that, or get kicked in by some local townies ;D

I'm looking forward to seeing if the course has changed much! Anything else I should look out for?  I wonder if there are any photos of the course from opening.  I'd like to see what it looked like without the uniform trees.

David Sneddon

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 02:02:59 PM »
Have to say these pictures brought back memories!!  I was born and raised in Dunfermline, though was a member at Canmore GC.

I don't remember all those trees either, but it has been about 40years since I last played there.  I knew many members there, and I don't ever remember one of them mentioning Mackenzie as the architect.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back