News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lloyd_Cole

No, not that MacKenzie
« on: January 13, 2007, 07:08:13 PM »
Shoot me down in flames if this is common knowledge, but I can NEVER find anything using the search function.
Looking at Copenhagen courses I came across Rungsted Golfklub, designed by C. A. MacKenzie in 1937.
Brother of Alister.
I've read everything Alister wrote and I recall no mention of a brother designing courses.

Jeff_Mingay

Re:No, not that MacKenzie
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 07:14:27 PM »
Lloyd:

It's true. Mackenzie's brother designed and constructed golf courses too. There's info. about brother Charles in the Mackenzie bio. written by Doak, and others.
jeffmingay.com

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 07:17:10 PM »
Lloyd:

It's true. Mackenzie's brother designed and constructed golf courses too. There's info. about brother Charles in the Mackenzie bio. written by Doak, and others.

Which is number 3 on my current reading list, sitting right here. But it has no index. I did look, only to find a beautiful map that I might tear out and put on my wall.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 07:18:01 PM »
Lloyd,
yup, old Charlie-boy was the 'practical' brother.
Golf Course constructor and litigator par-excellence. Built Pitreavie here in sunny Fife-shire to Ally MacK's design and then promptly fell out with the old boys of Dunfermline and took them to court. Won too!!!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 08:45:02 PM »
Lloyd:

Sorry about the lack of an index.  But there is an entire chapter on MacKenzie's "collaborators", and his brother Charles is duly listed there.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 01:32:20 AM »
Lloyd
I have an article on Charles written by Australian researcher John Scarth. which was published in "Through the Green", the magazine of the British Golf Collector's Society. If you are interested I could fax it to you - let me know your fax number by IM if you are.
cheers Neil

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back