News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

4 bag golf car at Erin Hills
« on: January 11, 2007, 04:30:53 PM »
got this nugget from their website:  only 1 golf car allowed per foursome, but their carts can hold 4 bags each so people can takes turns riding and walking

there's a picture of it as well
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 04:31:28 PM by Paul Thomas »
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:4 bag golf car at Erin Hills
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 04:45:19 PM »
More private clubs should use them if they can't have a good caddy program. Sandy Run GC in suburban Philadelphia uses them. Each player is charged $11.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 04:46:18 PM »
More private clubs should use them if they can't have a good caddy program. Sandy Run GC in suburban Philadelphia uses them. Each player is charged $11.

first time I've heard of them Steve

Joe Bentham

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 04:47:42 PM »
the only good golf cart is a broken one....Erin Hills in a cart?  Are you kidding?  GOLF IS A WALKING GAME...and you guys know that.

ed_getka

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 04:48:38 PM »
I can just envision that cart going all over the place to bring the golf bags where needed. What is the benefit of this cart? To use for long green to tee slogs?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Joe Bentham

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 04:50:27 PM »
I can just envision that cart going all over the place to bring the golf bags where needed. What is the benefit of this cart? To use for long green to tee slogs?
to please Americans who are only familiar with cart-ball and have never played golf in their life.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 04:54:06 PM »
Four baggers have been around for years.  The optimum scenario is to have the cart driven by a forecaddie.  I recently played at a club in Atlanta where we did this.  High school kid got a $20 from each of us for basically driving a cart around for four hours.  A great solution where caddies aren't abundant, and members want to walk but not pop for a full caddie fee every time.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 04:54:25 PM »

"It has become apparent that to truly enjoy and garner the Erin Hills experience, it is imperative to walk the natural contours that make Erin Hills so special.  However, it is also realized that the walk is difficult, therefore one car allows the player to enjoy the walking experience, yet sit down as ride as needed.  Walking and pulling or carrying one's bag is always warmly welcomed at Erin Hills."

Joe Hancock

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 05:59:54 PM »
OK, one more time... :)

in the days of yore, the golf course was slightly maintained, and therefore quite inexpensive to do so. In todays market, the demands of the turf quality are very, very expensive, and you guys won't tolerate anything less. Therefore, SOME cart revenue is neccesary (exceptions:highly unique, oceanfront resorts) to keep the doors open. Take the hardline walking-only stance once you own a golf course of mediocre pedigree and see how long you are a part of "Growing the Game".

I'm out.

Joe

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 06:19:21 PM »
Another example of golf snubbery...if I enjoy the game more with a cart why should it matter to you as long as I follow the rules set forth by the course.  Why look down on a different way of enjoying the game?  Is one better than the other - depends who you talk to...as for me I miss walking - bad back makes it impossible to walk long distances without pain and when I play with my wife she's had one knee replacement and is due another so we even get a handicap flag.  There are reasons for carts.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 09:54:29 PM »
The day I played (back in late October) I had a conversation with Kent Instefjord about this very topic...mostly because I chose to walk with my 3-wheeled Speed cart and everyone else that morning was riding.

He spoke at length about the desire for the course to be a walking experience, and how they were going to be bringing in these carts with 4-bag carrying capabilities...guess it is coming true!  The course is walkable, but they have a few squirrely areas where walking will cause cross-overs in the "line of fire".  Once those issues are worked out then the walking set will have an easier time of it.

I guess my take on the subject is...if it entices more folks to walk, then it is probably a good thing...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

D_Malley

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 10:03:19 PM »
i like how they offer loaner shoes, just hope the guy before me did not any fungi.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 10:20:10 PM »
The two rounds I played at RTJ International outside DC (the site of the President's Cup), we had a "forecaddy" who drove a four-bagger cart and handled the putters, raked the bunkers, tended the pin, etc.  These guys were real hustlers and did a good job.  Naturally you didn't get the individual attention you get from your own caddy, but it really wasn't bad.

Dan Moore

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 12:05:01 AM »
The new Sun Mountain SpeedE as an option might really be a good option for a course like this that appears to be a harder than usual walk.  In Ireland I saw quite a few members using electric trolleys.  Too expensive for most to buy, as a rental option I think they could be a very popular option to riding carts.    

Lets give Erin Hills credit for trying to encourage walking by the riding set.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 08:50:16 AM »
thats exactly what happens.  It slows down play while everyone is waiting for their clubs and with all the sharp turns etc it does more damage to the course

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 07:36:59 PM »
Years ago we were forced to take electric carts at the TPC of Scottsdale.  After we finished our round we learned that we could also have rented electric pull carts!  I would love to have done that, the TPC is eminently walkable and not a good cart ride at all.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 09:08:58 PM »
Posted by: Joe Bentham  Posted on: Yesterday at 04:47:42pm  
the only good golf cart is a broken one....Erin Hills in a cart?  Are you kidding?  GOLF IS A WALKING GAME...and you guys know that.  

I do? This again? Only a conservative thinks that there is only good or evil to all things. Believe it or not, some people do NOT agree that 'GOLF IS A WALKING GAME'. They even use carts because they WANT TO, not just because they have to.

Now I play a lot of courses only a mindless GCA fanatic cart-o-phobe would consider walking. But sometimes I ride a course I really could walk because I would rather ride. Evil? Tough!

LOL! It really makes me wonder. How can humans find so many ways to convince themselves of their superiority to others. 'WALKING GAME"! ROFL

See you lying dead in the fairway at Eagle Ridge #13.

Doug

PS: Dang, still can't figure out the quote. Can't post my great pictures. Too old? Too lazy? Where's my cart?

Doug Ralston

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 10:08:33 PM »
Bill;

I do! I walk nicely upright, head held high, to the counter and pay my greens and cart fee so I can make it around our beautiful mountain course, appreciating, like no ape ever has, that the brains of my specie made this possible.

If I had just been an orangutan hitting these keys with a hairy finger, I should never have, except by unlikeliest accident, typed out this sarcastic response.

I know what I am. Don't know about you  :-\

Doug

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 06:02:56 PM »
One reason for the 4-baggers might be the fact that the fescue that they have at Erin Hills doesn't do well under a lot of cart traffic (when I played last fall we talked about the possibility that it could survive with all the carts).  

Also, Bob Huntley has an excellent post he often makes whenever someone says that anyone who can't or doesn't walk is by definition a jerk who has no right to be on a golf course.  I'll see if I can find it.

Jeff Goldman
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 06:03:15 PM by Jeff Goldman »
That was one hellacious beaver.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 09:56:06 PM »
Bill;

I do! I walk nicely upright, head held high, to the counter and pay my greens and cart fee so I can make it around our beautiful mountain course, appreciating, like no ape ever has, that the brains of my specie made this possible.

If I had just been an orangutan hitting these keys with a hairy finger, I should never have, except by unlikeliest accident, typed out this sarcastic response.

I know what I am. Don't know about you  :-\

Doug

Huh??  ???

Joe Hancock

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 10:00:53 PM »
OK boys...who recently removed a post?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Joe Hancock

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 10:08:38 PM »
Thanks, Bill Gayne. I think this is why Bill McBride is "Huh  ???"-ing.

I just like to know I'm not going crazy. Many have already drawn that very conclusion, however. :)

Joe

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 10:14:54 PM »
Thanks, Bill Gayne. I think this is why Bill McBride is "Huh  ???"-ing.

I just like to know I'm not going crazy. Many have already drawn that very conclusion, however. :)

Joe
Aha!  Thanks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back