News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

There were some questions about who it was who initially bought the Merion Ardmore Ave land in Merion's move from Bryn Mawr to Ardmore Ave around 1911 and 1912.

I have no real idea if the way they did it back then was much different from how things work today but nevertheless the record does show how some of these great courses initially began.

Merion, PVGC, Lido, The Creek, Women's National, GMGC et al, how did they get off an idea?

In all those cases it seems to have been a group of guys who got together for whatever reason, had an idea, an inspiration etc, put up their own money, sometimes incoporated off the bat (if they were real businessmen like Merion and The Creek), sometimes didn't incorporate, put it altogether, got the designers and builders even it was just themselves, bought the land, laid out and built the course and then thought about a membership.

I wonder if this was an unusual modus operandi back then or if it is just the way it goes in golf? Do clubs tend to try to raise most of the seed money up front before getting going today? Were those guys who put their own money at long term risk back then unusual and "of an era"?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:37:48 PM by TEPaul »

Jim Sweeney

Re:How did they start some of the great old courses back "in the day"?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 11:28:17 PM »
There is an excellent club history available for public viewing at www.ccwaterbury.com. From what I remember reading in general golf history (Wind, MacDonald) Waterbury's experience was pretty typical- golf appears in an area, catches the attention of one or a few influential people, there are two or more efforts to organize a club, often including several changes of venue, and finally a permanent site/course is established.

Reagardless, the site has many interesting bits about golf development in central Connecticut, Donald Ross, and the club itself, including a great course tour.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Kyle Harris

Re:How did they start some of the great old courses back "in the day"?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 05:12:32 AM »
Tom,

As a more modern example (at least showing it's still done today in some form, and this club's "culture" is very much golf-focused) would be the formation of Lookaway Golf Club in Buckingham, PA.

The club started out of the desire of a handful of members at Doylestown Country Club to have a more golf-focused club with less "other" minutae. The land was purchased, Rees Jones placed on retainer, and construction started contemporaneously with the membership being built.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back