News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Butler

Suggestions for accomodation in SW Ireland
« on: January 12, 2007, 08:18:53 PM »
My inlaws are taking us to Ireland in October to look up our Irish roots... my family is from Kilkenney area, but we are thinking of staying within 1/2 hr drive of Killarney. Considering the golf courses in the South West of the country, is there any particular town I should suggest... Seems to me that Tralee and Ballybunion would lead one to go north of Killarney. Any other courses in the area I should know about before making my final recommendation?

Next!

Andy Doyle

Re:Suggestions for accomodation in SW Ireland
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 08:33:23 PM »
Anthony:

I've stayed in Tralee on two different trips (mostly sightseeing rather than golfing trips).  I think it's a great town - not too big but some great pubs, live music, etc.  We've stayed in a B&B right next to a very large, beautiful park and within easy walking distance of the downtown area.

In Tralee, you're obviously close to Tralee GC and not too far from Ballybunion.  Dooks is also not too far away.  Waterville is a bit further south, but easily reachable and it's not too far to drive to Doonbeg or Lahinch (although you'll have to ferry across the Shannon).  Other courses in the area: Dingle, Castlegregory, and Spanish Point on the way to Lahinch.  You could probably even get down to Old Head in 2 1/2 hours (Kinsale is another great town - great seafood).

Andy

Bill Gayne

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 08:39:44 PM »
If you got coin and don't mind dropping it then Adare Manor maybe the place for you.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 11:29:29 PM »
If you got coin and don't mind dropping it then Adare Manor maybe the place for you.

Bill
Last time I was there, maybe 3years ago, it had gone severely downhill and the price hadn't. I hope that they've gotten back on track, but I wouldn't return unless I was sure this was the case.

Eamon Lynch

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 12:20:35 AM »
One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in is Sheen Falls Lodge in Kenmare, about 40 minutes SW of Killarney at the edge of the Ring of Kerry. From there its a little less than an hour to Dooks. You can also take the lengthy but spectacular drive to Waterville along the coast road (about 50 minutes or so). It is a healthy drive to Ballybunion but worth time on the road for the quality of the hotel.

www.sheenfallslodge.ie

Anthony Butler

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »
One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in is Sheen Falls Lodge in Kenmare, about 40 minutes SW of Killarney at the edge of the Ring of Kerry. From there its a little less than an hour to Dooks. You can also take the lengthy but spectacular drive to Waterville along the coast road (about 50 minutes or so). It is a healthy drive to Ballybunion but worth time on the road for the quality of the hotel.

www.sheenfallslodge.ie
This place looks incredible, and thanks all for the specifics on locality and travel times to the golf courses, I am sure it will be very helpful... but the father in law has the notion of renting a country house for 2 weeks stuck in his head... I think he has the fantasy of getting out there in his Barbour Gear and pointing at things with his walking stick for other tourists like he was one of the locals...

A couple of Tullamore Dews and I am sure he will be chanelling the Irish accent of his ancestors who moved to Maine from Ireland in 1810 to start a.... potato farm. ::)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 09:42:43 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 07:57:36 AM »
I'm visiting Kenmare in Oct.  It is such a fine little town that I want to stay in the middle of it rather than at Sheen Falls (which looks great).  Any 'downtown' lodging recommendations?

JC

Gordon Oneil

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 12:43:51 AM »
Stayed in the Killarney Park Hotel two years in a row with my Pop for a Father/Son tournament organized by Jerry Quinlan.  
First rate, and in the context of being part of a package, pretty reasonable for a really nice hotel.
If I can remember correctly, keep in mind on the morning bus rides I was significantly hung over and on the ride back I was well on my way, Ballybunion, Waterville, Tralee and Lahinch were about an hour give or take but Old Head was a good bit more than two hours.
In a nutshell, it was a great place to unpack your bags that is somewhat centrally located.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back