News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Stearns

adios
« on: January 10, 2007, 02:05:48 PM »
what are the opinions on this course?

Jordan Wall

Re:adios
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 02:08:06 PM »
Wow, based on the title I figured that you were leaving the site or something.

As for the course, I have never played.
Sort of a weird name for a golf course though..

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 02:16:02 PM »
Sort of a weird name for a golf course though..

It was named after a famous harness racing horse. One of the club founders was Delvin Miller, considered one of the greatest harness racing drivers of all time. He is also the only professional in ANY sport to have competed during parts of EIGHT decades. He was also one of the five owners of Bay Hill before he passed away.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 02:24:42 PM »
Underwhelming best describes it
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 02:36:06 PM »
Underwhelming best describes it

That's accurate. If sharp doglegs are your cup of tea, you'll like it ;) The course is built on a TINY piece of land.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 03:20:35 PM »
Awful--I think they were more concerned with an awesome locker room instead of a good golf course.

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 03:24:25 PM »
Del Miller named this "Men Only" golf course after his favorite horse Adios and first to earn him over 1 million dollars in prizes and fees.  
***"Raised on his family's breeding farm in Pennsylvania, Del Miller has won a dazzling reputation as a breeder and trainer. His most spectacular success came in 1948, when he bought a stallion named Adios for $21,000. Adios earned him $1,000,000 in stud fees and sales of yearlings before he sold the horse for $500,000 to the Hanover farm in 1955. Adios' progeny hold some seven world records."   from Time online***
Hence the horseshoe in the logo.  
http://www.adiosgolfclub.org/

As for the course, some may describe this Arnold Palmer layout and the GCA as "underwhelming"  however, recent renovations have made the course quite demanding.  I find it almost unmanageable from the gold tees.  The experience on the other hand is quite remarkable.  From the minute you get on the property to the minute you leave it is all about the experience.  Everything is first flight.  Amenities galore, fine food and drink, incredibly attentive staff!  Every possible way you can make a golfer enjoy themselves is provided.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

james soper

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 03:51:21 PM »
i second dean's description. wonderful atmosphere with a decent caddy program. located in coconut creek, florida. they take mens club to the extreme. when george bush (41) played there, a female secret service agent was posted at the gate because she wasn't allowed in the club. two slogans on their hats:
- " it takes balls to play adios "
- " no red tees, no pink balls, no skirts "
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 03:58:12 PM by james soper »

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 03:58:32 PM »
two slogans on their hats:
- " it takes balls to play adios"
- "no red tees, no pink skirts"

Charming.

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 04:26:55 PM »
Dean:

Any idea who did the renovations?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 04:47:13 PM »
palmer I think
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 04:56:16 PM »
I was fortunate to play there the weekend the Bears lost in the Orange bowl on Monday Night Football in 1985.

It's possible Adios is an example  of a course that jumped the shark on the old boys will be boys dark ages of GCA.

Florida golf at it's most 1970's mindset.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 06:26:02 PM »
Palmer et al. is correct.  How much Arnie did is clearly minimal.  However, he did take the bows and the photo ops at the grand reopenning.  They even unveiled the Arizona Iced Tea version of the Arnold Palmer (half iced tea and half lemonade) down there in his honor.

Adam, I knew the 1985 Adios.....this is not your fathers Adios.  Changes are dramatic and very long from the back!

" http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q= "
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 07:49:09 PM »
Dean:

What drove the changes? Is the membership such that they demanded more of a test? I wouldn't think that if Mr. Miller were still alive he would have wanted the golf course to be more difficult.

If it was lengthened a great deal, where in the world did they find any extra room?!?!?!?

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 10:15:37 PM »
Doug - Clearly most of the members play from the blue, and seniors play the green.  The gold are the Championship tees.  This group loves to be able to "speak" about the difficulty of the gold.  Most never go back other than to show a guest the view.  The gold changes were driven by technology advancement.  I disagree that the founding members would not have wanted the course more difficult "on the card".  I know some of them.  Again they would never play back under any circumstance.  Inspite of the felling of a cramped piece of property, the GCA's were able to clear back into the woods or change the angle of a tee to find ample room for additional teeing ground.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 10:49:53 PM »
two slogans on their hats:
- " it takes balls to play adios"
- "no red tees, no pink skirts"

Charming.

Do people actually buy and wear these things?  
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 10:50:17 PM by Doug Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 08:11:03 AM »
Adios is defined by its greens complexes. Most greens are small and elevated with multiple shelves. It is an ejoyable and challenging course which suits its membership very well.

The locker room is a wonderful 2nd home.....or in the case of some of the members a 1st home!

I had a great time there with the exception of some A-Hole caddie who spent winters in Florida and summers in NY.

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 08:34:18 AM »
Doug - Clearly most of the members play from the blue, and seniors play the green.  The gold are the Championship tees.  This group loves to be able to "speak" about the difficulty of the gold.  Most never go back other than to show a guest the view.  The gold changes were driven by technology advancement.  I disagree that the founding members would not have wanted the course more difficult "on the card".  I know some of them.  Again they would never play back under any circumstance.  Inspite of the felling of a cramped piece of property, the GCA's were able to clear back into the woods or change the angle of a tee to find ample room for additional teeing ground.

Dean:

Thanks for the insight. I was simply speculating on the desire for difficulty solely based on knowing Mr. Miller. I hope you had the chance to know him. He was one of the finest gentlemen anywhere!

Regards,

Doug

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 10:46:38 AM »
Doug B. - Many people buy and wear them.  The pro shop routinely is out of stock.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 02:14:19 PM »
Doug Sobieski,

Some of the changes were prompted by problems created by inclement weather.

The golf course sits just west of the Turnpike.
The Turnpike's routing was somewhat influenced by the availability of firm subsoil conditions.  Subsoil conditions west of the Turnpike begin to deteriorate.

Adios had an abundance of Marl which created drainage problems.

Another golf course just north of Adios had similar problems and addressed them about 15 years ago by removing the Marl and replacing it with sand.  It's an extensive project.
Some courses simply cap the Marl which only diminishes the problem, versus removal of the Marl, which eliminates the problem.  Some courses do a combination of the two, depending upon funds available.

Adios decided to address the issues for a variety of reasons, one of which may have been the conditions of play after a series of storms which left the course unplayable, while other courses were open for play and carts.

Since they were going to address the drainage issues they expanded the project to include lengthening, a unique cart path system using cocina (sp?) and some other fairly minor changes.

The perception on the part of most who had played the course pre and post project work, is that the project improved the golf course.

Some feel that the course has too many doglegs, others that it has too much water.

As someone pointed out, the greens are unique to southeastern Florida in that they have pronounced contours and slopes.  # 4 is wildly contoured, and not just for Florida.
The greens are very challenging and they're kept fairly to very fast.

The golf course gets good prevailing winds, mostly from the southeast and is maintained well.

It's a golf club.  GOLF is KING
There are no tennis courts, pools or other distractions from golf.  They have a teaching center and a good practice facility.   For the most part, the caddie program and the caddies are terrific.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 02:15:21 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

james soper

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 02:50:35 PM »
patrick, is the other course you refer to boca rio?

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 02:50:53 PM »
Thanks, Patrick! That's great insight.

Adios was always well thought of during my years at Bay Hill. Mr. Palmer and Delvin Miller were very close friends, so it always seemed like an extended part of the Bay Hill/Palmer family.

My wife grew up in Boca. I wish I made the effort to play Adios more often when I was down there.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 05:28:04 PM »
James Soper,

Yes.

james soper

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 08:59:05 PM »
patrick, thanks for the reply. i understand boca rio is a true golfers club as well. for anyone interested in finding out more about boca rio, there is a nice write up in the 'courses by country' section of this website.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:59:36 PM by james soper »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back