News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re:I think this DG is in danger of becoming a little inbred...
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2007, 10:36:47 PM »
TEPaul,

That's not hot air, that's ideas.

Hot air is what you let into your room when you leave all the windows and doors open on a summer night.

Along with a zillion bugs.

TEPaul

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2007, 10:48:46 PM »
Yeah, you're right Pat, Sand Hills Nebraska has got to do something about those zillion bugs just waiting to get into my room when I take a moment to go out on the porch to have a smoke and forget to shut the door on my way to dinner.

John Kirk

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2007, 10:54:54 PM »

Golf course architecture is a finite subject...It's getting harder to delve further while keeping it interesting.
???  John, this suggestion should come as a big disappointment to the architects who apparently will spend the rest of their lives vainly attempting to bring a fresh idea to the profession.  
This is like saying there is nothing more about particle physics that I need to know.  

Are you a particle physicist?  If not, then there's nothing more you need to learn.

My remark wasn't directed at the architects.  It was intended for the guys like me, who watch the action from the cheap seats.  Ultimately, it's about a ball that flies, spins, and rolls.

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2007, 11:41:51 PM »

Are you a particle physicist?  If not, then there's nothing more you need to learn.

Geez, John, substitute wine, women or song for particle physics.  I'm not a female either, but on most days I'm pretty sure I haven't learned all about them that I'd like to.  :)

I thought the point of books like "Grounds for Golf" and "Anatomy of a Golf Course" was that the more you know about what architects do and how they do it, the better you can manage your game on the course.  I stand behind no Joe Sixpack in my admiration for watching the ball spin and roll after it leaves my clubface, but why hang around here at all if there's nothing left to learn about other aspects of the game?  One of the great things about this game is there's always something more to learn--about spins and rolls, or whatever floats your boat...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 12:00:39 AM by Eric Terhorst »

John Kirk

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2007, 02:34:41 AM »
Uh, gee, Eric, I uh...was just trying to be amusing.

I asked if you were actually a particle physicist because you live near Chicago, and the Fermi Lab is one of the important particle labs in the world.  My dad worked at the Stanford physics lab, which did similar work.  I was going to play the name dropping game.

Sorry to sound so dry about it.  I absorb all the GCA I can, and am still learning.  My point is the website is about 7-8 years old.  During the first couple years (before the Tommy Naccarato Sports Illustrated issue) there's more ground to cover and the learning curve is steeper.  It gets harder to find new topics.

I haven't read "Grounds For Golf".  I'm not sure I agree that architecture books improve my game management.  I care what the architects do, but notsomuch how they do it.  I come here from a player's perspective, and I'm on a life quest to find the best possible park to play the game.  I come here to learn what are considered great courses.  I read why people think these courses are great, and then I make up my own mind about it.  In general, I strongly agree with the group conscience, though I consider the great new designs to be underrated in the grand scheme of things.

At its essence, the game is controlling the flight and roll of the ball.  Those magic first rounds at links courses 8-9 years ago enlightened me of the myriad of flight and roll combinations possible.  And that is enough testimony from me.

And like you, I find women strangely fascinating, regardless of my education level.

:)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back