News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jamey Bryan

Re:Good member golf clubs
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2007, 09:57:12 PM »
I've got to make another "My Home" post here......

My home course is a Walter Travis routing renovated by Donald Ross, later restored/renovated by Rick Robbins.  The routing is largely intact (two substantive changes over the years) and the Ross greens have been restored as faithfully as possible.

Camden has hosted the Carolinas 4Ball for 50 of the 55 years it's been played, and has hosted numerous other CGA, SCGA, and USGA events and qualifiers.  The course has held it's own against the advances of technology, and par remains a very, very good score.  A few years ago we hosted a USGA Am qualifier--  even par was medalist, we were the only site in the country where even par qualified.  The course is not "ho hum" or run of the mill by any definition.

That being said, Camden plays to less than 6500 yards from the tips (par 70 with 5 3's and 3 5's), it's very difficult to lose a ball unless it gets covered up by a leaf, and you could almost play the course with a putter.

What makes Camden a GREAT members club?

1.  An interesting and fun golf course which is still a different challange every day.

2.  A "dogfight" every afternoon, which means there's always a game even without advance planning.

3.  A membership diverse in background and economic status who love the game and playing.

4.  A 3 hour average round.

Sadly, I'm afraid our current Board doesn't understand what we have.......

Jamey

peter_p

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2007, 10:42:04 PM »
Jon,
The members club offers a pleasant journey for players of all caliber. It is not built as a challenge for the scratch player to break par. It is not routed so that each hole is in isolation. You can wave and say hello to fellow members throughout the round.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:42:39 PM by Peter Pittock »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2007, 01:22:02 PM »
How about Old Elm in Chicago? I hear it gets little play and that is how the members like it.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back