News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Pont

Sand Hills pics
« on: January 09, 2007, 05:40:59 PM »
Just posted Sand Hills pics of Chris Hunt in the new style on golfarchitecturepictures.

www.golfarchitecturepictures.com/Web%20Galleries/USA/Nebraska/Sand%20Hills/index.html

If you want the HTML layout so you can download pics replace index.html with index_html.html

Hope you enjoy, and let me know if this setup with less thumbnails is better.

Kevin_Reilly

Re:Sand Hills pics
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 05:46:58 PM »
Love it.  The interface and thumbnail number are great.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Scott Szabo

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 06:17:50 PM »
Frank,

Thanks for posting the pics.  Seeing those take me back two years to my magical journey to Sand Hills and one of my best times spent on a golf course.

I wish Mr. Youngscap would open up the membership so more of us could have access to this beautiful club.

I hope to return someday, because I don't think I truly appreciated the visit until it was time to leave.  

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 06:21:33 PM »
Scott - is there anything more wistful, melancholy, sad, depressing, as making that turn out of the entrance road to Sand Hills and beginning the long trek back to N. Platte or other points to get one back home?

It sucks to have to leave heaven.

BUT... that long road also does a great thing - it gives one ample time to reflect on the greatness he just experienced.

So Frank - thank you for the pics as well.  They do make for one hell of a trip down memory lane.

TH
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 06:21:57 PM by Tom Huckaby »

John Foley

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 06:25:14 PM »
Frank - thanks for posting, pics are incredible.

Yeah, sure  - There's a dozen better courses than that on this planet.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Scott Szabo

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 06:28:02 PM »
Tom,

I can't think of a time where I've experienced such joy or sadness all at once.  

Hopefully it won't be my last visit, but only time will tell.  

Scott

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 06:29:30 PM »
Tom,

I can't think of a time where I've experienced such joy or sadness all at once.

That is exceedingly well said, and succinctly at that.  Me too....

God I love that place.  
 ;D

Scott Szabo

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 06:31:41 PM »
Yeah, sure  - There's a dozen better courses than that on this planet.

John,

You must be a member at Dismal River to make a statement like that :)

John Foley

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 06:38:11 PM »
Scott,

No memberships here.

As Huckster alluded to, for those who've been to heaven I find it hard to imagine something that could even come close to that little area south of Mullen NE.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 07:32:55 PM »
I like the image viewer much better than the old, I would just suggest to lose the fading effect, it is fairly strenous on the eyes. A simple switch of pictures would be much preferable.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 08:07:15 PM »
Once again Frank, I find you photos, and to look at them in rapid succession, the closest thing to being there.  I like how you take some in a variety of directions away from the line of play, to give a sense of place on the course.  I knew and recognized every single photo location you shot, just like it was yesterday when I was last there... in reality 3 years ago now.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Hines

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 08:10:47 PM »
That's wild Frank, your first two thumbnails are pictures that I have on my desk at work.  The first being the practice green with Brother Craig Edgmand putting off in the distance on a cool morning.  The second photo is from another visit there is Ben's porch looking from the southwest with the silhouette of the starter sitting on his stool looking out over the valley and front nine of the course.

There is a great spirit in the SH.

J.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 08:12:00 PM by Jason_Hines »

Tim Bert

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 09:08:23 PM »
Scott - is there anything more wistful, melancholy, sad, depressing, as making that turn out of the entrance road to Sand Hills and beginning the long trek back to N. Platte or other points to get one back home?

It sucks to have to leave heaven.

There's a new temporary cure for this feeling - drive a couple hours to Holyoke.

Nick Church

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 09:30:59 PM »
That course is incredible.  I cannot imagine how much fun it is to discover new features on the successive round(s).

Thanks for sharing.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »

There's a new temporary cure for this feeling - drive a couple hours to Holyoke.

That's assuming one has access to Ballyneal.  Remember, it is a private club, just as Sand Hills is.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 06:51:02 AM »
Frank Pont:

Your site remains hands down the most visually demonstrative golf course architecture site I've seen.  Please keep up the good work!!  

Viewing photos here either in Ran's reviews or in regular posts is educational but your site presents a far more complete visual picture.  

Thanks.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 11:06:31 AM »
In looking at the photos it made me think about the left hand bunkers on 4 and 7 and their effect on how one plays those holes.  We played 3 rounds on SH and no one hit a shot into the left hand bunker on 4, but we had plenty of shots from below the green to the right.  You have a long shot into that green and very often the ball will fall off to the right.  The fairways were very tightly mowed leaving an extremely difficult chip up the hill.  7 is a great risk/reward hole and my feeling was that if you were going to be aggressive the shot was a draw into the green rather than a fade that easily brought the left hand bunker into play.  Unfortunately for the player, that strategy also brought the left hand bunker into play as a slight pull or too much draw put you in that bunker and recovery from there is very difficult with some awkward positions in the bunker and the hole falling away from you.  Great holes, great strategy, great and challenging recovery shots make for great golf.

Frank Pont

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 01:06:18 PM »
Gents, thanks for the feedback. Seems that most like the new format. Ulrich, unfortunately I can't change the transition effect without doing some serious reprogramming of the Flash part of the program, so that will have to stay (for now).

I will start work on getting the remaining Chris Hunt pics of the USA on the site, California is the first state done:

http://www.golfarchitecturepictures.com/Pages/usa-california.html

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 11:03:52 PM »
A little trip down memory lane from last Memorial Day weekend's escapades...thanks for that!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back