News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Roewer

Re:Milwaukee Country Club
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2006, 10:10:25 AM »
Stuart:  Nice to see you here. Welcome!  I'm with Shivas in wanting to know about P.J.  It is easily one of my favorite routings

SBendelow

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2006, 11:01:56 AM »
Tom Doak: Thanks for your input, I would definitely be interested in what you find out about MCC.  In the years I have been digging into TB's history I have found the "club" histories as fascinating, if not more so, than the "course" histories.  It is unfortunate that all too often both suffered from poor documentation.

At MCC, they actually obliterated a Walter Travis designed course in favor of another?  Thats interesting!

PS.  C&W do cite two MCC locations.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2006, 05:19:50 PM »
Milwaukee CC has an outstanding history book done for their centennial.  

The genesis of the club was NOV 1894 when E.W. Cramer, a transplanted Milwaukeean , invited 3 Milwaukee friends to play Chicago Golf Club (Belmont course)

The group returned home and laid out a crude course in a pasture, where UW-Milwaukee now sits.  In 1895 the club was formed. A new 6 hole course slightly north was laid out by the members in 1895.

1898 Herbert Tweedie developed it to 9 holes.

In 1910 the club moved to its present location.  According to the book " The first course on the new grounds was designed by committee.  Tom Bendelow, the Scottish-born pro who had laid out Blue Mound's first links, was the nominal expert, but he had ample "assistance" from Alex Robertson, the Club's pro, and an assortment of members,"

later....... " Alex Robertson's preliminary layout, as modified by Gardner Kellogg, was the ultimate winner" The course opened in 1911.

In 1924 the club purchased 77 acres of land adjacent to the course.  They hired Walter Travis to draw plans for a new course. The books surmises Travis did not even visit the site. The new course was opened in may 1926.

In 1927 prominent members called complete overhaul of the course and clubhouse. In 1928 Colt and Alison were hired. Alison did all the design work. Work was completed in 1929.

Robert Trent Jones did  a remodeling design in 1974. No routing changes, mostly longer tees and some bunker work.

The book includes an insert with the various courses overlaid on see through paper so you can see how the routings have changed.

SBendelow

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2006, 08:10:34 PM »
Mike:  Thank you for the historic clarification.

Michael Christensen

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2006, 08:26:18 PM »
glad someone posted the history from their centennial book....I have the book too and it is one of the best...great pics, great stories and the overlays are phenomenal.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back