News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

Re:golf's great views
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2006, 11:00:35 AM »
Isn't there big money in that stuff? Why hasn't anyone scraped it?

Or am I just bat sh*t?

Mark

Mark

We're waiting for Independence, so the English can't rip off our guano, like they ripped off our North Sea oil........ :'(

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2006, 11:47:48 AM »
1st tee at Machrahanish

4th green at Sunningdale Old looking down the 5th and 6th holes.

18th fairway on TOC 30 yeards short of the Swilken Bridge
Cave Nil Vino

Sean Leary

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2006, 12:37:03 PM »
Tee at the Devil's Cauldron at Banff
For me, the view of the tee box at SFGC was magical, as you can see a number of different holes from there.

8 tee at Prairie Dunes at sunset.

A local one is the 14th tee at the TPC of Snoqualmie..

Tom_Doak

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2006, 12:54:28 PM »
Wayne:

I thought we were talking about views off the golf course, and one reason I picked 17 at National is precisely because its beauty doesn't rely on wispy grasses around bunkers.  I think that is one of the best placements of tee and green I have ever seen, getting you to look right on down the sweeping shoreline of Peconic Bay.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2006, 01:08:34 PM »
On top of the 2nd green at Spyglass looking west down the 4th fairway.  Looking at one great hole and the Ocean.

The 17th tee at CPC.

On a nice day there must be 10 views at Fishers Island that are tough to beat.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2006, 01:36:15 PM »
7th green at MPCC's Shore.
11th tee at      "         "
10th tee at      "      Dunes
14th green at   "         "

Bob  

Eric Franzen

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2006, 02:09:17 PM »

The man, the myth and the 14th green at MPCC Dunes.

Jason Hines

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2006, 02:16:39 PM »
It has been awhile since I posted a photo, but can someone help me with the picture posting command again?  Was it [img]photolink[img] or ,<>?

Eric Franzen

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2006, 02:19:39 PM »
It has been awhile since I posted a photo, but can someone help me with the picture posting command again?  Was it [img]http://photolink[img] or ,<>?

The first example listed above, but completed with [ /img ] (remove the spaces).

Cheers,

Eric
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 02:20:50 PM by Eric Franzen »

wsmorrison

« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2006, 02:24:14 PM »
"Wayne:

I thought we were talking about views off the golf course, and one reason I picked 17 at National is precisely because its beauty doesn't rely on wispy grasses around bunkers.  I think that is one of the best placements of tee and green I have ever seen, getting you to look right on down the sweeping shoreline of Peconic Bay."

Interesting point, Tom.  Is that something you have tried to replicate at other seaside courses?  Did you have an opportunity to situate tee(s) and green(s) at Sebonack with similar results?

Next time I'll try and look at the 17th in that way---and others as well.  I still don't like the hole though  ;)

Merry Christmas and a happy and successful New Year!

Jason Hines

« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2006, 02:39:08 PM »
Thanks Eric.

Looking north from the second green at SH, you can see the overwhelming vastness and spirit of golf in the Nebraska sand hills.

J.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 02:40:50 PM by Jason_Hines »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2006, 02:49:32 PM »
In Reply Number 67 above, it shows, albeit but briefly, what Rees Jones can do when at the top of his game. He abandoned a very nondescript par three some forty to fifty yards away from the shoreline and built the green at waters edge. In addition, he set the back tee down between some rock outcroppings to make for a dazzling 180 yard shot into, what at times, can be an interesting wind.

Eric was visiting and we played the Shore. Wanting to show him parts of the Dunes before darkness we played No 10, drove through 11, 12 and 13.  At 14, I teed off first and hit a weak shot, short and right, Eric hit his best shot of the day to a couple of feet for an easy birdie. He left the course a happy man.

Bob

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2006, 04:16:43 PM »
#1 tee at The Judge
#4 tee at Dye Fore
#10 green at Dye Fore

Ian Dalzell

« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2006, 04:59:16 PM »
Opening tee shot at Portstewart, Northern Ireland

18th Tee at Kapalua, Hawaii

Almost any hole at Old Head

Tee shot at Calamity, Royal Portrush

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2006, 06:13:37 PM »
Opening hole view at Portstewart.....

John Kirk

« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2006, 08:25:09 PM »
1st/10th tee at San Francisco GC.  Nothing but golf in front of you.  Same with 1st/8th tee at Prairie Dunes, already mentioned.

Gene Greco

« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2006, 09:06:29 PM »
Opening hole view at Portstewart.....

As I stood on this tee I saw kids sleighriding down the dunes to the beach! Simply mammoth sand dunes and one of the greatest front nines in the world.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Ash Towe

« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2006, 10:16:48 PM »
From my experiences-
16th tee Cape Kidnappers.  Just unbelieveable.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2006, 10:24:46 PM »
Jim Finegans favourite tee box .

Stonehavens 2nd tee .

James Bennett

« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2006, 12:26:08 AM »
10th tee at      "      Dunes
14th green at   "         "

Bob  

Merry Xmas Bob

you commented earlier that 'in Reply Number 67 above, it shows, albeit but briefly, what Rees Jones can do when at the top of his game. He abandoned a very nondescript par three some forty to fifty yards away from the shoreline and built the green at waters edge. In addition, he set the back tee down between some rock outcroppings to make for a dazzling 180 yard shot into, what at times, can be an interesting wind.'

Here is a picture of #14 from the back tee, and also looking back to the tee.  And this hole is viewable to anybody driving around Monterey.  It is right next to a car-park.

And then there is #10 - absolutely picture post-card stuff.  And it appears that it has always been that way.  I have included a photo from George Thomas Jr's Golf Architecture in America, whic I assume is perhaps 80 years ago or thereabouts.  Looks like Rees Jones didn't change much here.  So, a before and after.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2006, 01:16:16 AM »

Awesome hole with the Long Island Sound in the distance.

View from the green.

Merry Christmas
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 01:18:07 AM by M. Shea Sweeney »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2006, 01:29:00 AM »
The first tee at Merion offers a marvelous view with its 13 beautiful bunkers, huge but in scale while the whole experience is enhanced by the sudden silence of the diners on the upper terrace as you know they are watching your every move.  It makes one glad to be right handed (sorry Mike C).  Also the view from the fairway through the quarry on 16 during spring with the Scotch Broom in golden bloom.

Wayne,

Actually, I was very fortunate to be left-handed the first time I played Merion East.

There were a number of people dining on the patio, and here I was, faced with the promise of playing a course I had only dreamed about for about 30 years.   To say I was nervous would be an understatement of tremendous proportions.

I also happened to be in the company of the Emperor, redanman, and Mr. Dow, two of whom I was meeting for the first time.

In some type of hazy, trembling blur, I somehow got the ball on a tee and then got the club back to about knee high on my backswing.   I hit the ball so far on the heel that it squirted dead right about head high and screamed out there into the right rough about 120 yards.   :-[

Why am I thankful I'm lefthanded?

Simply because that exact same shot played from the other side of the ball would have surely taken out several of the diners, and ensured that I would have never returned, even after the stint in prison for manslaughter.  ;)

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2006, 02:43:22 AM »

View from the green.

What green is this the view from? Not from the #15 at Friar's Head?

Chris Kane

« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2006, 04:03:21 AM »

James Bennett

« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2006, 07:06:02 AM »
Chris

great photo.  

That is the first one that has thrown me when looking at the shadows.  I kmow the hole runs somewhat west, but the sun is the the south (of course, it is the northern hemisphere).  Shadows running left to right when looking west - it is very difficult as an antipodean looking on.

Have you found this to be a problem for you on those occasions at St Andrews when the sun has been out, casting a strong shadow from the 'wrong' direction?  Has it caused some degree of natural 'reorientation?

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back