News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Robin

Re:golf's great views
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2006, 09:22:53 PM »
For me, the 17th tee at Cypress Point Club is the most beautiful place in all of Golf and close to being the most beautiful spot on the planet. That 360 degree view is a religious experience.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 09:29:05 PM by Michael Robin »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2006, 09:23:11 PM »
Wayne:  You missed it by about a mile ... I was going to say the view from #17 tee at National.

Pacific Dunes has some great views, but none of them are as "wow" as the view from #16 green at Bandon Dunes.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2006, 09:36:11 PM »
There were some views I was prepared for before  played them.  I couldn't wait until I got to 16 at Cypress Point, but was not prepared for the astonishing 15th.  I knew Pine Valley was going to be difficult but when I got to number 2 I didn't know if I should play it or paint it.  I knew #4 at RCD was beatuiful years before I played it but when I walked over the hill at 9 I was breathless.  
They all pale, however, to the first hole at The Old Course.  It was 7:30 on a drizzly August morning.  I looked around and I couldn't move.  The view was not just out it was back, to Old Tom, and Alan, and Bobby and....
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Michael Robin

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2006, 09:37:20 PM »
Mark, I've heard that bunnies are good for a golf course, but the 13th at LACC does take it to a whole different level.

Mike_Young

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2006, 09:40:17 PM »
I understand the view from the 13th green of Los Angeles Country Club (North) is regarded as one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful, in the world.

Mark,

Only if you are a realtor.

Bob

Bob,

It's not the real estate I had in mind but the residents and guests. Especially the guests.

Mark
I heard that view is good all the way over here in GA.
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Michael Robin

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2006, 09:44:14 PM »
Nah, can't afford the silk pajamas. Did you know they have their own house now? Believe it's known as the "Bunny House."

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 10:08:15 PM »
Gary,

How about the 4th at Cruden Bay.......

This is now my favorite hole in golf!!

Great Views?

I will take the 3rd tee at NCR. Stunning downhill par 4 and you are about 30 feet about the 5th green at Moraine CC, which is a wonderful par 3.

2 tee at Victoria National
2nd shot into the 17th at Congressional, 17th in 97 Open anyway.
1 tee at Bethpage and also 15 green

Mike_Young

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2006, 10:12:24 PM »
Mike,

Hey, don't know if you remember the discussion, but I waited at least an hour that Saturday at ANGC for you and Kavanaugh to show. So I went ahead and played alone...

I brought a mess of pimiento cheese sandwiches and everything, too.  The good news is, I made a killing selling them for $5 per in that little dinky clubhouse they got there. Just about paid for all the pro V1s I pumped into the water on 11...uh, and on 12, 15, and 16!

Mark
We must have just missed you.
Merry Christmas.
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2006, 10:50:06 PM »
Glen,

#2 at Victoria National as requested..........

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2006, 11:20:21 PM »
There is an amazing view of the Swiss alps from the 7th tee at Crans sur Sierre in Switzerland - and it might be one of the dullest short par fours in golf.

mike_beene

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2006, 11:22:33 PM »
7th tee at Gullane.The firth,the castle,the old bridge and Murfield.How is this not the best view in golf?

Jfaspen

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2006, 12:59:34 AM »
Some of the coolest views that I saw this year were from the grill and 11th tee at Stone Eagle this year.. You can literally look for miles across the desert, see Bighorn and The Vinyards along with several other courses + the mountains.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2006, 01:00:31 AM »
Aidan,

Do you have any Kapalua pictures?

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2006, 01:15:28 AM »
The view from the upper tee box on 18 at Pacific (or even 3 at Bandon).

Also, #8 Fairway at Pebble.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

wsmorrison

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2006, 06:48:34 AM »
"Wayne:  You missed it by about a mile ... I was going to say the view from #17 tee at National."

Well given my recent posts, at least I was close  ;)  You honestly think the downhill view at NGLA 17 better than the uphill view at SHGC 16?  I'd rip you if I was doing a Confidential Guide of golf course views.

I have to be honest Tom.  I think that is a nice view with the bay in the background and all but I don't like the hole, except for the rear of the green, which I think is really cool.  I like the look up NGLA 18 better as water in the picture doesn't mean very much to me at all when it comes to golf.  And as water views go, the 6th tee at Creek Club is far superior to 17 at NGLA and the hole is far superior.

I like a more natural look and nothing on National comes close to the look that appeals to me at Shinnecock Hills and other courses with natural or carefully crafted natural looks.  For me the difference is at least 1 Doak point and possibly more  ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 06:49:13 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Tom Roewer

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2006, 07:26:29 AM »
the 3rd tee @ Gullane 1
the 1st tee @ North Berwick
the view from my room @ Russacks of the floodlight lit 18th green 1st tee and Royal and Ancient clubhouse

wsmorrison

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2006, 07:33:44 AM »
How could I forget Kittansett?  The drive around the bend towards the clubhouse gets the adrenalin flowing seeing 17 green and the fabulous 18th hole.  The tee shot on the famous 3rd and the approach on 16 are among the nicest of a great collection of views and holes.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2006, 07:36:44 AM »
Kidnappers - from anywhere on the course!

Tralee - back nine views are the best in Ireland and maybe beyond.

JC

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2006, 07:41:14 AM »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tom Roewer

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2006, 07:43:31 AM »
oops.  meant 32 tee @ North Berwick

ForkaB

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2006, 07:53:02 AM »
Correctamundo, Mark.  A solid coating of A#1 guano!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2006, 07:58:02 AM »
Mark, it's the Bass Rock and itt dominates the views on the back nine at North Berwick West Links.

The white stuff is provided by Gannets and somone on here posted that on no account should you take the boat trip to visit it. He warned that after a short and choppy trip the stench was litterally overpowering.

GCA question. There are 4 clubs with equal rights for playing over the West Links in North Berwick.
One is The Bass Rock Golf Club and the others?

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2006, 08:34:40 AM »
Tony:

Would they be?

North Berwick Ladies’ Golf Club
The North Berwick Golf Club
Tantallon Golf Club
Bass Rock Golf Club

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2006, 10:12:52 AM »
4/4 ;D

Tom Forsythe

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2006, 10:40:15 AM »
Highlands Links has one or two great views that are worthy of consideration, The first, the second, the fifteenth and the sixteenth are all excellent.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back