News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Names of different type greens plus pictures if possible
« on: December 25, 2006, 06:11:20 AM »
I know the names of a few different type of greens, but just the other day I heard the name Lions Mouth that I hadn't heard before.

Perhaps we could create a dictionary here with pictures :)

I'm hoping we could clearly define Redan/hogs back/Eden/Alps+all the others for everyone on gca so we could know what these are when they are talked about.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 09:17:04 AM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

peter_p

Re:Names of different type greens plus pictures if possible
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 12:34:16 PM »
Cary,
Forrest Richadson has a glossary of golf terms at http://www.golfgroupltd.com/golf_course_terms.html

but a lion's mouth green  isn't included.  I'd say it is guarded by two deep bunkers. Bet its more ferocious than a clown's mouth green.
When you find out what it is, let F.R. know so he can update.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 12:36:39 PM by Peter Pittock »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 12:53:37 PM »
Cary, the interviews of George Bahto by Ran Morrissette are very thorough in explaining the MacDonald / Raynor "template" holes and their antecedents.  The first is in 1999 - see the "Feature Interview" tab to the left, click it and scroll down to 1999.  George explains each of the par 3s on NGLA plus the Biarritz and several others.  His later interview, George Bahto 2, goes into the Cape and others.

Amazon.com has George's book which he wrote in association with Gib Papazian, "The Evangelist of Golf."  It explains all those holes and has photos from all the MacDonald / Raynor courses.

The Lions Mouth, I think, is a cavernous bunker right in front of a green on the direct line, and the original is at #13 on the Old Course.  I could be wrong about that.

Happy Holidays!

peter_p

« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 01:06:03 PM by Peter Pittock »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 01:07:13 PM »
I always thought Lion's Mouth referenced a bunker in front of a green,not the green itself. Here's a pic of 16 at CC of Charleston:

Same hole:

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back