News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Padraig Dooley

Waterfalls
« on: December 19, 2006, 02:20:34 PM »
Just wondering how many courses have a waterfall, natural not man-made, as a feature?

I've only played one. There is a waterfall on the 13th at the Wild Coast Sun which is about 2 hours from Durban, SA.

The 13th is a par 3 of about 165 yards, I've played everything from a 9 iron to a 3 wood to it. It's played over a ravine with the waterfall on the right hand side of the hole between the tee and green.

As a sidebar there is a big elevation change from the 12th green to the 13th tee and you ride up in a funcular to get from 12 to 13.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Brad Tufts

Re:Waterfalls
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 02:29:09 PM »
The Mountains above the holes at Princeville nearest the entrance road have numerous (and epically beautiful) waterfalls cascading down their faces.  This is, of course, if you can see the cliff walls due to the clouds that blanket them.  The waterfalls come down from the interior of Kauai, the rainiest spot on Earth.

I imagine the same phenomenon can be witnessed on the Pali Mountain cliffs above Koolau and Luana Hills on Oahu, and I'm sure there are some natural waterfalls to be seen at the Lanai twosome, among others.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 04:20:24 PM »
Sultan's Run has a waterfall and cave-like cliff behind the 18th green. Not sure where the water source is (or if that part is natural, but its a very neat finish to the round. Its a Tim Liddy design, I'm sure he could say better "how it works."

SL_Solow

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 05:42:19 PM »
Blackwolf Run River has a small waterfall behind the first green.  Not in play.  Often see fishermen active just below the falls.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 05:58:40 PM »
Just been watching BB looks like the Trump course has some lovely natural waterfalls...........
Cave Nil Vino

Doug Ralston

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 06:19:38 PM »
Andy;

I am not absolutely certain but I think that is the natural stream. Whatever; it is truly a lovely finish to a very sweet course indeed. Liddy is good!

Doug

ed_getka

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 06:36:03 PM »
Padraig,
  There are plenty of courses with waterfalls these days, but there are very few worthy of traveling to see.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 09:57:43 PM »
I've seen a picture of a par 3 at Highlands Falls CC in Highlands, NC where a waterfall seems to be just left of the green.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 10:00:58 PM by Tim Gavrich »
Senior Writer, GolfPass

lesueur

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 11:35:20 AM »
I just played the two courses at Carton House in Ireland a few days ago and the Mark O'Meara course features a fun par 5 with the green placed on one side of the river right next to a (natural) waterfall. The next hole is a good short par 3 over a wider stretch of the river with the waterfall on the right. Two of the more memorable holes on the 36 hole complex mostly due to the setting. Hopefully the photos below will appear, but as it's my first attempt at posting pics it may take a few attempts and some advice.

lesueur

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 11:38:33 AM »
I'll try again.

BCrosby

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 11:44:36 AM »
If you want waterfalls, head to the Highlands/Cashiers area in NC. Virtually every course in the area has a waterfall or two. Most seem to be natural.

Bob

Paul Jones

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 02:05:47 PM »
Waterfall Country Club in Georgia - http://www.waterfallcountryclub.com/

Here is a pic from their website:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 02:06:18 PM by Paul Jones »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

rjsimper

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 02:22:09 PM »
...please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to...

BCrosby

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 02:25:12 PM »
You tee off from up there on top of the waterfall. A totally blind par 3. It's a little different.

Bob

wsmorrison

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 05:01:26 PM »
There is a lovely little waterfall to the left of the 10th green on Merion's West Course.  All natural with some 300 year old oak trees (known as William Penn trees in this district) in the area.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 05:01:49 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 05:05:31 PM »
There is a lovely little waterfall to the left of the 10th green on Merion's West Course.  All natural with some 300 year old oak trees (known as William Penn trees in this district) in the area.

Wayne,

Wasn't that integrated as an old water trough up by the 11th tee?

Paul Jones

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 05:07:01 PM »
Waterfall Country Club in Georgia - http://www.waterfallcountryclub.com/

Here is a pic from their website:

I have not played the course, but this is a snipit from their website:

"165 Yards, Par 3: If this vista doesn't get your blood pumping, better check for a pulse. Just to the right of the tee box, water cascades down, heading quickly for a long plunge straight down. Acrophobics beware...the green is 200 feet below the ledge in front of you. You'll also get a glimpse of the next four holes, and a beautiful view of Lake Burton's jade waters. It's a short iron up, a little wind to think about, and a long drop down. Don't be short and don't go left."
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 05:07:39 PM by Paul Jones »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

wsmorrison

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 05:28:21 PM »
There is an old trough on the hillside above the 11th tee.  Integrated?  I am sure any water that fed that trough would have made it into the stream that flows in front of the 10th green.  The waterfall is fed from a different direction, the lowland between 12 and 11 fairways fed through the culvert forward and to the right of the 11th tee.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 05:29:21 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 05:36:47 PM »
Went to the website, did the course tour. It certainly appeals to an ole mountain boy like myself. Must be nice to have money!

Doug

Chris Perry

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 05:30:08 AM »
Gotta go with Olympic View's 17th.

And yes, it's natural.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 10:59:44 AM »
Can someone find and post a good approach shot picture of #18 at Sultan's Run. It sure is a beauty, with the pool and waterfall against the back right. Worth seeing just for that, but the course is very nice otherwise also.

Doug

Andy Troeger

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 11:09:46 AM »
There's a small one on their website that doesn't really do the hole justice. I took a couple the last time I was there but it was into the sun and they aren't much better.

http://www.sultansrun.com/SultansRunWeb/sulframe.htm

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 11:36:33 AM »
Black Rock in northern idaho that has a very unique looking hole.  The waterfalls are not natural, but interesting none the less.

http://www.golfcoursepics.com/northwest/golf_course_779.html
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:41:05 AM by Kalen Braley »

Gary Slatter

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 12:29:56 PM »
Cinnamon Hill has one behind the 15th green, it was used in a James Bond movie before the course was built.  Can you see Niagara Falls from any of the new courses there?

Eeerie - that's how we felt when playing Aviara in SD one evening when it suddenly got very quiet.  They had turned off the water features and the bird sounds for the night.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Doug Ralston

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2006, 06:10:29 PM »
Here is a better picture of #18; from GKL, as well as other pix from the course.

http://www.golfkentuckylinks.com/Pages/Photo%20Pages/Sultans%20photo.html

This picture is made screen wide and stunning on the GKL Screensaver, but I have no clue how to transfer it to here. World's best golf screensaver, BTW, 150 full screen pix from courses around KY and S Indy. Just my opinion, of course. I do a lot of that.

Doug

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back