News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Lavallee

Woking/ photo tour
« on: December 15, 2006, 02:20:05 PM »
Due to the interest shown recently, I’ve decided to post these photos of Woking GC, taken in the Sept. of 2003. As you can see the golf course is nearly white from heat and lack of rain during that summer’s heat wave. This is in stark contrast to the photo essay posted by Philip Gawith just recently, which showed Woking in a more autumnal maintenance meld. For comparison here’s a link to Philip’s photo essay: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=26585;start=msg497981#msg497981

One of their most famous members Bernard Darwin, who discovered the Club in 1897 and was a member for 60 years, called Woking “the best and pleasantest place to play golf that I have ever known”. Roger Wethered was an Honourary member and later president of the Club. The contributions of Stuart Patton and George Low, with their subtle alterations of the original Tom Dunn design in 1893, are chronicled as the beginning of inland strategic golf design. Indeed the placement of the bunkers and recontouring of the greens give the thinking golfer something to ponder, be it on the tee shot or approaching the green. The intimacy of the Clubhouse, within the routing of the course is somewhat unique and a pleasure for all who enter; except for the fairer sex who are still relegated to the veranda or the Ladies TV Room. Certainly Woking is a must visit for the student of architecture.

The 1st hole is a 278 yard par 4, straight away with the green in a dell, invisible from the tee. An ideal way to start the round, either laying up with an iron or attempting to jump start the round with an early birdie on an easily driveable green. Sorry no picture available.

The second green a stout 201 yard shot to the par 3 green.

The 3rd is a 413 yard par 4, a dogleg right around a hill slope on that side. From the photo you can see that the contours of the ground to right of the bunker will steer a running shot onto the green. It was the inspiration for the 8th green at Pacific Dunes. There is also a wicked little upper shelf at the back right of the green; a real Sunday pin placement.

The tee shot on the World Famous 4th hole, a 336 yard par 4. I was surprised that there was that much room to the right of the Principle’s Nose complex.

From this photo you can detect that the green slopes from front left to back right, definitely favouring the approach from the right of the Principle’s Nose.

Directly behind the Principle’s Nose, you can see the fence that cordons off the railway line.

The green of the par 4 360 yard 5th from short left. The heather covered slope of the bunker is to be admired, as is the wave like undulation of the green which the camera fails to fully capture.

The tee shot on 399 yard par 4 6th.

Excellent use of the creek to front the green.

The green of the 161 yard par3 7th. Looks like years of sand splash have made the lip of that left bunker the formidable rampart it is today. The specimen tree behind the green and out of play certainly adds to the beauty of the hole.

The second shot into the 433 yard par 4 8th. Nothing like a little centerline bunkering to increase the challenge.

No photo of the 9th, a 450 yard dogleg left par 4 up the hill.

The tee shot to the 155 yard par 3 11th. Note the steep drop off to the left of the green.

The tee shot on the 383 yard 11th must negotiate both heather and a well placed bunker to offer a clear shot to the green.

The green of the 409 yard par 4 12th has truly magnificent undulation which the camera fails to capture. Surely this green was resculptured by Low and Patton.

The par 4 13th measures 426 yards. The undulations on this green are so severe that there was evidence of the greens mower scalping the turf. A valley bisects the green into front and back areas.

The tee shot on the 510 yard par 5 14th must clear a sea of heather. The white poles are to aid in locating any balls which fail to make the carry.

The green is literally a few paces from the veranda; might be wise to use a Texas Wedge so as not to decapitate any of the Barristers lunching here. The broken ground short of the green makes for very interesting 3rd shots for those who fail to make the green in 2 .

No picture of the 511 yard par 5 15th, whose severely contoured green must be seen in person.

The tee shot to the 156 yard 16th should easily clear the pond; not an uncommon type of hole in the Heathlands.

This shot of the green at the 421 yard 17th is taken from short right. Notice how the green gently fall away from the golfer; it’s a shame we don’t see more holes like this in modern design.

The contours on the green save this 338 yard finisher from being anything but boring. Supposedly Darwin used a ladder to gain access to the Clubhouse roof to play a shot to conclude an important match. There is a pond just to the right of the margin of the picture which could affect shots pushed to a back right pin location.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 02:27:54 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

BCrosby

Re:Woking/ photo tour
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 02:41:17 PM »
Thanks Pete. Great pictures. They reaffirm my newfound (I am embarrassed to say) conviction that us Americans need to spend more time playing golf in England. There's an awful lot of good architecture there.

Bob
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 04:00:57 PM by BCrosby »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 06:37:34 PM »
Nice pictures, they've made me feel guilty as I've played 2 of the Ws and Woking is the missing link.
Cave Nil Vino

D_Malley

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 08:54:52 PM »
pete
what is the yardage/meters and par at woking? thanks for taking the time to post the photos.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 08:04:15 AM »
What IS this?

This is GCA, right? The place where TREES are an anathema! Where we have had rages about trees in the fairway. And now it comes.

You LIKE trees on the ****ed green! The signature hole, #4, are you looking at that? How can this be?

Is it just because it is British, and we MUST worship all golf things British?

I do know that I have suggested certain mountain and forest courses were good, and have beem met with cold stares. *cringe*

I happen to think Woking looks good indeed. By why do YOU?

ROFL

Doug

Tim Liddy

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 08:31:37 AM »
Thanks Pete.  Very nice tour.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 12:37:10 PM »
Thanks Pete, like everyone who has played there I was wowed by the variety of movement in the greens.  Both my visits in the autumn of 2005 featured damp turf and I intend to return next summer when the greens are hard and see how the ball moves on them. There no other set I can imagine of where you would need to hit exactly the right spot once they were F&F.

Mark Rowlinson is right every GCA’er should be allowed more than 12 top ten favourites. How did I leave Woking out?

BTW it was Alison who clambered onto the roof to play his 3rd shot.  He halved in 5's

Racetrack
6340 yards par 70.  Most visitors will play it at 5957 and today it doesn't seem that long but you’ll certainly enjoy it.   It’s about 20 minutes in a car from Sandown Park btw.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ryan Crago

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 05:12:54 PM »
thanks for the photos pete... Woking is easily one of my favourites.

however, does anyone know the history of the 17th hole?  

much like Pete, I thought the green was fantastic, but the rest of the hole left something to be desired - feeling out of place within the flow of the course, and bordering on dull (IMO)... leading me to believe that there had been some reworking done there over the years... which led to a very nice terrace discussion of how to improve the 17/18 finish (though, for the record, i like 18 as is... my companions however, weren't thrilled).

rc.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 12:35:31 AM »
Tony,

Thanks for the correction  on Allison; I knew somebody famous climbed on that roof!

Doug,

If you look closely the tree is between the 4th green and the 5th tee. Woking really does stand for all the factors which GCAers love, good routing with easy walks between tee and green, lots of movement in the greens, trees kept out of the line of play; although many bunkers are between you and the hole. Also take careful note, not a single golf cart or cart path to be found. :D
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 01:16:49 PM »
Looking at the photo of the tee shot at #4:

If there was that much room to the right of the Principal's Nose at #16 on the Old Course, there would be a lot more play to the right side.  The shot is much more cramped feeling at TOC, the OB seems like it's only 20 yards right of the bunker complex.

So if Woking was modeled on the TOC Principal's Nose, it was done so in much more forgiving fashion!

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 01:20:36 PM »
Doug Doug Doug . . . . Tertiary dogma extrapolated into a catch-all statement about Treehouse majority opinion is dangerous.

You are confusing prejudice against ill placed trees in the line of play with thoughtfully placed Heathland foliage.

Personally, though trees on a links course offends my delicate sensibilities, denuding the rolling Heathland courses of England would ruin their pastoral nature.

Note that these trees are not blocking any approaches to the green, but simply serve as a sooooothing, blood pressure-reducing salve for hideous London traffic jams and rude, unwashed Pakistani hotel slumlords.

We cut trees to help produce fast and firm fairways. The conditions of this golf course look splendid - a perfect presentation to bring those interior hazards into play.

That may be the single most salient quality about English Heathland courses versus their claustrophobic "parkland" counterparts in America.

Interior hazards. Rees Jones needs to look at these photos.

The English are not afraid to brown-out their fairways and force the ground game issue.  Baseball is better than Cricket by miles, but their brand of golf is far more appealing. I see you must have played in May or June because the Heather is in bloom.

If you end up in the trees on this golf course, you get what you deserve because you must have stupidly let the ball bound far afield of the target.

The primary amusement in these type courses, to me, is the difficulty of ball control on a billiard table. Low trajectory shots work well, but the blade cuts both ways. There is a constant temptation to blast away, as one would hitting a driver on an airport runway.

So, you need those trees to extract a pound of flesh for foolish bravado. Either play short of the bunkers, sneak a tee shot or approach around them, or blast away and deal with the prospect of finding Bambi and Thumper before your Titleist.        
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 01:28:35 PM by Gib Papazian »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 06:15:34 PM »
ROFL;

I, of course, have never played Woking. So when I looked at the 1st two pix of #4, it appeared to me that that tree was in the middle of the green. Only after reading your replies have I looked more carefully, and realized that what I thought was part of the green is the 5th tees [i assume], directly behind it. From that angle it sure looks to me like a part of it.  :-[

As I said, it looks like a very nice track to me. I was, of course. surprised the you guys would like a green with a tree in the center. I, on the other hand, could see how that could be amusing and a blast to play. Sorry it isn't there  ;)

As Emily my beloved on SNL would say: "Nevermi-ind!"

Doug

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back