News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Farrow

Re:Week 3: The wonderful 3rd at Oakmont
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2006, 01:13:01 PM »
John is pretty much spot on but not all bunkers will force you to hit a wedge out. If you are greedy enough you can knock a 6-7 iron out of a FW bunker but its pretty risky and the chances are you still wont be able to reach the green. I found my pictures on an old computer in my house so here are a few shots:

« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 01:14:04 PM by Ryan Farrow »

George Pazin

« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2006, 02:09:10 PM »
Fantastic photos, Ryan, they really add a lot to this thread. Thanks for posting them.

Garland -

I can't even begin to comprehend the statement that there are thousands of holes like these. I am aware of very very few others that I would place in Oakmont's company. I can only imagine that I am not explaining things adequately, but I have no idea what else to say, so I'll just say I'm sorry I can't seem to get my thoughts across to you.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John_Cullum

« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2006, 03:01:11 PM »
This hole is looking pretty playable to me. I think U.S. Open contestants will be able to go long down the left, and fly past the church pews. Even if they are in the rough, they will be able to get it to the green from there. They always do, even though every year we hear how bad the rough is going to be.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Ted Kramer

« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2007, 08:44:17 AM »
George believes this course is great in a "clearly better than Pebble Beach" meaning of that term.  I feel confident he finds a lot more to Oakmont than a tough, no nonsense golf course.

To be perfectly clear, I'm a fan of the Goodale Michelin system of ranking, and I think Pebble and Oakmont are both 3 stars, or Doak 10s, or whatever. Each is outstanding in its own way. I think Oakmont may be a better design, by virtue of the unusual way in which it tests each shot.

Ted -

The strategies at Oakmont are much more subtle than the obvious option type holes. Once upon I time, I favored the latter approach, but my time at Oakmont during the Am came to see quite a bit of change in my own thoughts. Maybe someday I'll do a thread on the obvious versus the subtle; maybe even sooner rather than later.

My and your use of the term "subtle" crossed in cyber-space ;)
I'll always prefer subtle as opposed to obvious.
The former insists upon an intimate knowledge, understanding and or appreciation . . .

-Ted

George and Huck,

I hope we can follow up on these earlier discussions as the tournament progresses. I'm really excited to see how the course plays. George, thanks again for your efforts with these threads.

-Ted

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2007, 01:57:01 PM »
The chipping area behind the green isn't really a chipping area, is it? It's more like a 20-yard funnel into the rough.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2007, 02:03:26 PM »
I think the 3rd has played great so far.
Oakmont looks so friggin cool on TV. . .
The course is playing GREAT!!!!

-Ted

Kalen Braley

« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2007, 02:48:10 PM »
I'M SO JEALOUS!!!

I'm stuck here at work..   :-[ :-[ :'( :'(

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back