News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Siebert

The future is here!
« on: February 26, 2009, 02:48:36 AM »
I know I occasionally bore people with my tangents talking about things I think technology will bring to the future of golf...for bettter and for worse...  So apologies for starting a thread devoted to one such thing (and double apologies if someone has already posted this, but we all know the search function doesn't work that well here!)

The robotic greens mower is here!  I can't speak for its quality, or how its price compares to the price of a normal greens mower, or for how practical it is running on batteries only -- i.e., how many greens can it mow between chargings?

But it does have a few definite advantages, not the least of which is the fact that a person doesn't need to drive it, and running on batteries it is so quiet they claim you can mow in the middle of the night which is better for the grass -- what do you supers think about that claim?

The implementation is a bit clunky, it uses four ultrasonic beams sent from posts you place around the green.  They aren't permanent, someone brings the mower out to the green and sets up the posts, which it uses to determine where the green is.  Its not clear to me what you have to do to initially teach the thing the green contours, but presumably you only do this once.

So there's still a lot of labor involved bringing it out to the green and setting up the posts before it can mow, and you have to wait for it to finish to take down the posts and get it to the next green.  So I'm not sure how practical this is for overnight mowing, unless the club is rich enough to afford 18 of them.  And good security to prevent them being stolen!

But its a good first effort, and I guess that while this thing is mowing the green you can rake the traps or mow the greenside or something so you aren't waiting around for it, so it will reduce labor costs.  Whether costs are reduced by enough for it to be worth the cost of the mower I don't know, but this is just a first generation product, I'm sure they'll improve down the road.

They say they are already working on systems to mow fairways, rake traps and apply chemicals, and presumably will be doing other improvements that will eventually eliminate the need for setting up and taking down beacons around the area you want to work on.  It would certainly save a lot of maintenance cost to have a few robots leave the maintenance shed after dark and do all the mowing and raking, and maybe even put down chemicals in the area where the super specifies.  Or better yet perhaps someday be able to examine the grass clippings to determine where and what chemicals are needed by itsel (might not be as good as a good super, but it would be great for all the low budget courses that can't afford a good super)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17912_3-10171944-72.html?tag=newsCategoryArea.1
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Alister Matheson

Re: The future is here!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 05:08:39 AM »
In the picture i think i can see darth vaders shadow cast in front of the greenkeeper  :D

The picture is funny to me it portrays this machine will free up labour and give you more time to over manicure bunkers which are a bloody hazards any way ! The pic should  have had R2D2 raking the bunker and the greenkeper  changing the hole and assessing green conditions  as a robot can not see signs of stress or disease ect...

These machines are the future and could  save a lot of labour time but loads  more development /progress is needed yet imo.
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:21:43 AM »
I visited their booth at GIS in New Orleans.
It is interesting technology, but I don't know that it's all that cost effective. Their pitch was a lot more about accurate greens mowing than about cost. Someone still has to bring out the machine, set up the beacons (3-5 more exposed steel plates around the green is not a positive) and trailer the machine around. It'll mow about 50K sq ft so a normal course will need at least three and the batteries are very heavy. The machine itself is heavy and I'm not sure it's going to be used all that much until they learn how to down size it a bit. Although I found the technology behind the machine intriguing, they seem to be marketing to the "office" superintendent. The #1 reason they said they are producing the machine is because supers have told them they can't find, or train, employees to properly mow a green. I struggle with that reasoning. I don't know if that's a marketing pitch or honest feedback from their advisory group.

Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I would much rather have human eyes and hands mowing my greens. It’s pretty tough to teach a robot to ease up on a worn area or spot problems.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 08:28:43 AM »
If they can teach it play (and pay ;)) they'll have something.
cause that's what the game needs.

programming in no preshot routine would be a bonus ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 08:32:29 AM »
   Don has pretty much covered it.  I also took a look at GIS and have signed up for a live demo at some point this season.  The comment I heard most is that the mowers won't be cost effective unless one person can operate several of the machines.  Take them out set them up and rotate them as they finish.  That may be a selling point for some but for me I just don't like how the mower operates. The turning of the mower is clunky looking and I think over time there will be a wear patern created on the edge of the green. It is a good first step, towards what I am not sure at this point.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 08:36:57 AM »
I think we signed up for a live demo later this summer as well...my Super envisions the person setting it up could then rake bunkers while it's mowing or move tee markers on the next hole....
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back